Talk

Advanced search

Is there a list of acronyms and their meanings?

(16 Posts)
frazzled3ds Wed 15-Mar-17 13:27:11

Just wondering if there's a guide or glossary type thing anywhere that explains the various acronyms frequently used? I've worked out a good few (e.g. DD, DS, DP etc) but there's some I've still not sussed e.g. TAAT, PBP and references to hairy knuckles etc (got a vague idea on that one but still not sure!)

Thank you smile

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Mar-17 13:32:35

Hi, frazzled!

There is indeed. grin

Here you go!

frazzled3ds Wed 15-Mar-17 13:50:12

Thank you smile

OdinsLoveChild Wed 15-Mar-17 14:00:18

PBP isn't on the list but its previously banned poster/person.

frazzled3ds Wed 15-Mar-17 14:01:22

Thanks Odin - couldn't see it on the list, now I know! smile

FruSkogKattOla Wed 15-Mar-17 17:01:34

The list needs a bit of updating!

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Mar-17 17:16:08

Fru what do you suggest we add? grin

SandunesAndRainclouds Wed 15-Mar-17 17:18:38

TL:DR

I get what it is, but not what it is if that makes sense!

FruSkogKattOla Wed 15-Mar-17 17:27:28

Lorna, there was a thread in Site Stuff a year, or two, ago about updating the acronyms list .... but I'm not sure anything happened in the end.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Mar-17 20:13:23

Are they well used ones? Shall we have a dig? I'm really bad at acronyms btw... That's one, right?

lottafizz Sat 18-Mar-17 23:40:26

Thanks for the list, i would not have worked out the actual meanings even if i guessed the reference!

FruSkogKattOla Sun 19-Mar-17 09:58:09

@LornaMumsnet

Actually it might be worth reinstating a link to the acronyms in a more obvious place - as it was in the past. I have a vague idea that it used to be on this line, after Last Day?

Active| I'm on| I'm watching| I started| Last 15 minutes| Last hour| Last Day

I've been here for some years now and I had trouble finding a link to the acronyms, so it's no wonder that new MNers can't find it.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 20-Mar-17 10:57:15

Thanks, Fru! We'll flag that suggestion to the appropriate team. Sounds like it would be really useful!

FruSkogKattOla Thu 30-Mar-17 16:42:41

And ... yet again ... we have a thread from someone who doesn't understand the acronyms www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/2891245-What-the-bollocky-bollocks-does-WOHP-stand-for?msgid=67976950#67976950 and, frankly, I don't blame her.

So ... may I please request .... AGAIN ... that a link to the acronyms is put in an obvious place for everyone to see?

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Mar-17 16:47:03

Hi Fru,

If you open the 'talk' menu, you'll see acronyms on the list.

Our site is full to the brim and we are constantly reviewing how we can make the site easier to navigate and improve our signposting but for the time being, we won't be moving acronyms.

We have flagged the suggestion, though and so it may be something that we revisit in future!
flowers

FruSkogKattOla Thu 30-Mar-17 17:14:00

Lorna, thank you for your kind 'directions'; however :

a) I have been here for years and know what most of the acronyms mean

b) I know how to find the rather out of date acronyms list

but, and most importantly :

c) Newbies don't seem to know how to find the acronyms list. You only have to look at the number of "what does XXX mean" threads.

<hey ho sigh>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now