Editing and removing threads

(11 Posts)
Apfelbunny Sat 11-Mar-17 08:14:39

I'm a member of other forums (admittedly quite dull) and on those forums the author of a post can exit a post, or the OP can delete the thread they started.
Ive noticed I can't do that on here. It means if I write something and then want to change a typo or add something I have to put it as another comment - it gets quite tedious to read threads where a lot of it is people correcting themselves (or getting abuse for not correcting a typo)

DonkeyOaty Sat 11-Mar-17 08:20:26

That's what ye olde Preview Button is for. Who knew?

VintagePerfumista Sat 11-Mar-17 08:22:09

Nah. It's called re-writing history here.

If people go cosmic over a typo, frankly, they could do with getting out more.

And yes, there is a preview button for those who care.

Trills Sat 11-Mar-17 08:25:11

Editing would disrupt the conversation.

If you can change your OP to add more information, you can make it so that people's replies look nonsensical or unreasonable, when they just didn't have the full information.

Apfelbunny Sat 11-Mar-17 08:41:05

Ok, I know about the preview button. I use it. Doesn't mean I don't miss some mistakes though, or forget to add an attachment or something. Or maybe if I say something I regret I'd like to delete it before all those who love to hate drown out my apologies with flames.

AuntieStella Sat 11-Mar-17 08:44:04

I like MN precisely because it doesn't have these features (and you have to be ready to stand by what you posted, exactly as you posted it)

As they say, other sites are available.

Apfelbunny Sat 11-Mar-17 09:15:35

So you've never said anything you later regret in the heat of the moment?

How about if you accidentally said something that inadvertently revealed who you really are?

I'm not saying I have by the way. I just always end up over thinking and regretting what I type or say as I analyse everything and how I may be perceived

AuntieStella Sat 11-Mar-17 09:35:45

Yes, I have accidentally posted something too revealing, and MNHQ deleted it very speedily.

Posting on MN is akin to publishing in permanent form to a global audience. I think it's quite important to remember that.

If you what's to be able to post in the heat of the moment and then delete, then you'll naturally gravitate towards sites that let that happen. I think there are plenty of them, so no need to change one that's fine just as it is.

NotYoda Sun 12-Mar-17 21:42:07

Apfel

I've said a few things I've regretted. Normally if you apologise people understand.

If you've revealed who you are you can report your own post and ask for it to be deleted.

I think it's actually quite good to not be able to edit. Makes you slow down a bit.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Mar-17 09:27:41

Hi there Apfel,

We don't have these features for a couple of reasons. A majority of our users don't actually want an edit/remove option. We also find that people get quite annoyed if they spend a lot of time investing in a thread, just for it to be removed.

We find that the 'preview' post option works well and do use the report button if you ever feel like a post is identifying. We'll always take a look!

DogMama89 Mon 13-Mar-17 16:10:09

I generally think it's a really good idea. But I had a moment last week where I outed myself, and made a total panicstricken twit out of myself and just asked mnhq to delete my post and they did. Easy peasy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now