Talk

Advanced search

Why did my 'would you rather' thread get deleted?

(23 Posts)
catinbooots Tue 28-Feb-17 16:36:30

??

SumThucker Tue 28-Feb-17 17:43:40

Probably pretty offensive to some people? The way it was worded was skinny is best (but no teeth) as opposed to being fat with perfect teeth? Not really nice.

namechange20050 Tue 28-Feb-17 17:45:45

Oh for goodness sake. Was totally innocuous.

lljkk Tue 28-Feb-17 17:46:16

I thought it was fluffy light hearted but MNHQ did not. <shrug> win some lose some. This will get deleted if it's deemed 2 b TAAT.

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Feb-17 17:51:27

It was a very unfortunate choice of this or that, given that it was effectively the dilemma that many people with bulemia struggle with. That killed the lightheartedness for me.

Was a second identical thread deleted? I saw the message but not the content.

lljkk Tue 28-Feb-17 19:47:04

DD asked me earlier "Which would you choose if you could only have 2 of these 3: Democracy, Human Rights or Science" If anyone wants to try that debate. I'd keep HR no matter what, but others hard to say.

catinbooots Tue 28-Feb-17 20:15:01

Skinny/teeth/obese/beards/bonkers/not/deleted/etc

catinbooots Tue 28-Feb-17 21:07:59

It want even anything controversial.

It was 'would you be skinny with no teeth or fat with perfect teeth?' Or would you rather have a beard or be obese for the rest of your life????

catinbooots Tue 28-Feb-17 21:08:35

*wasn't

M0stlyBowlingHedgehog Tue 28-Feb-17 21:48:58

I only saw the thread title and assumed it was about bulimia. In very poor taste, I thought. Couldn't see anything even vaguely light hearted about it.

catinbooots Tue 28-Feb-17 21:55:10

Oh my god. People really thunk it was about bulimia?? Oh god feel really bad now

HairsprayQueen Tue 28-Feb-17 22:01:23

It's also pretty shit for people struggling with being overweight. I'm made to feel disgusting enough everywhere else without being the obviously 'horrific' choice on that side of the question on mumsnet.

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Feb-17 22:02:02

Oh my god. People really thunk it was about bulimia?? Oh god feel really bad now

I pointed the link with bulimia out to you on the other thread and on this one at 17.51. Did you think I was being arsey for no reason? confused

DonkeyOaty Tue 28-Feb-17 22:04:50

Yes sadly bulimia damages teeth. I expect you understand this now, don't you?

plimsolls Tue 28-Feb-17 22:12:15

Even without the bulimia link, it's an unpleasant question because the pairing of skinny with no teeth Vs fat with perfect teeth implies you think being fat is terrible and being skinny is good.

catinbooots Tue 28-Feb-17 22:28:19

Purple I have a sibling with an eating disorder....

And I really really didn't see how this inane bollocky question of mine could be triggering. I'm sorry.

PurpleDaisies Tue 28-Feb-17 22:29:42

No worries. smile

Hope your sibling is getting some really good help. flowers

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 28-Feb-17 22:33:54

I see you started another thread OP - you really like this game don't you?

It's usually more fun if there are only a couple of people playing and the question changes otherwise it's just a stream of one or other answer grin

ErrolTheDragon Tue 28-Feb-17 22:37:05

The other one is unanimous for sticky rather than itchy, so at least thats uncontroversial.grin

catinbooots Tue 28-Feb-17 22:37:53

Yep Liv

Love a good 'would you rather thread'

smile

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Tue 28-Feb-17 22:38:03

Until someone comes along with a skin condition... grin

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Mar-17 10:05:41

Hi catinbooots

Thanks for posting.

We realllyyyyy don't want to remove 'would you rather' threads, promise.

It's just that in this case, it did seem to cause a lot of offense.

We don't tend to remove posts unless they cause mass offense and since this was the case, we nipped in and zapped it.

Really sorry if you were upset by this - we do understand that the thread was in jest and no offense was intended.
It's just that if we get lots of reports, we do need to take a good look.

You are more than welcome to start a new 'would you rather'. Please do bear in mind, some terminology may cause others to be offended, and if it's reported to us, we'll need to take a look.

catinbooots Wed 01-Mar-17 12:37:47

Nah that's ok @LornaMumsnet

Not upset. Just baffled yesterday! Especially as so much truly offensive shit is left to stand on a daily basis.

I will get back to posting my more dull threads.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: