Talk

Advanced search

Search engine on the Mn app.

(13 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

missmoohoo Wed 22-Feb-17 14:42:29

Why is the list of results not by date of when it was first posted?
I can't stand the mixed-up dates. If it's in order, you get to know when one was posted and whether to scroll first down instead of reading every each title and date to figure out if it's the right one.

I also, think it's the reason why you get so many zombie threads erected because sometimes they are the first one you come across at the top of the list.

Think about Mn. Make life easier for us. Irritation drives some people like be mad.

missmoohoo Wed 22-Feb-17 21:11:21

Any replies from Mnhq

girlelephant Wed 22-Feb-17 21:41:20

Agree this would be helpful

missmoohoo Thu 23-Feb-17 12:32:27

Any replies from Mnhq at all? It might help.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-Feb-17 13:01:43

Hello!

Hm.... That does sound annoying.
What APP are you using, Iphone or Android?

cozietoesie Thu 23-Feb-17 13:12:21

I seem to recall - if it's the iOS app you're talking about - that Tech said they'll be 'refining' the search at a later date. Adding some search criteria etc etc once they know what is needed by posters. In the meantime they're holding fire.

missmoohoo Thu 23-Feb-17 14:50:19

Use my iPad. On my iPhone, it's the same too.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-Feb-17 15:15:51

Thanks for getting back to us! We've raised it with tech, and will see what they say.

TimMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 23-Feb-17 15:16:03

Hey guys, thanks for flagging this. The search feature in the app is currently quite basic, and needs a number of tweaks including giving more recent threads a higher priority.

Our stats tell us that users still want to see older posts, which is why it's not just 'the more recent posts first', but the search algorithms need to be adjusted so there is a good balance between 'old but relevant' and newer posts. The work is in our list to do, and will hopefully be addressed soon. And yes, @cozietoesie is bang on.

Thanks for your patience!

LilithTheKitty Thu 23-Feb-17 15:16:36

It's the same on android using the mobile site through chrome. It always has been. I rarely bother with the search because of the lack of a facility to sort by date.

natienka Thu 23-Feb-17 16:15:03

I'm being thick but how do you search on the android app?? Cannot find it anywhere... Any tutorial? smile

HistoriaTrixie Thu 23-Feb-17 23:21:56

Hi TimMumsnet, is it possible that your "stats" are telling you that users want to see older threads because the older threads get clicked when the app search serves them up willy-nilly, making it difficult to gauge how old they are? They seem to come up completely at random w/r/t thread age and frequently with relevance to search keyword as well and it gets really aggravating sometimes.

missmoohoo Fri 24-Feb-17 09:37:23

Historia I agree with your post.

I think the search engine could have a timeline at the top, the same way google does where you can choose if it's something from the last week or month if it can't be sorted out.

The other thing is for those who love old threads in classics. You could have a search at the top of classics like you do with the topics section. Leaving the general search engine to be sorted out. I have no interest in the old threads. I get annoyed when I click on one and half way through it, only to find that's its five years old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now