Talk

Advanced search

Deletions

(17 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

FrancisCrawford Sun 29-Jan-17 11:35:25

More and more threads seem to get deleted for no reason at all.

This message came up this morning

We have agreed to delete this for the OP, who contacted us several times very distressed about the thread and how big and active it had become.

So now you can get a thread deleted because too many people post on it?

But disablist posts can stand on other threads.

I'm struggling to understand this.

GinIsIn Sun 29-Jan-17 12:34:27

Yup, that one pissed me off too. OP was 'distressed' because nobody agreed with her. If MNHQ deleted every thread that doesn't go exactly the OP's way then what is the point of anyone posting at all? hmm

FarFromFolsomPrison Sun 29-Jan-17 12:50:55

I totally agree. And on the Talk app, you don't see why, all you get is a message saying "thread deleted by MN", so you don't know if they were a troll, were banned or if it was at OP's request. I know this has been flagged up before.

In the last week/ten days, at least six large threads I have been on have been deleted, people have taken the time to engage and post, then it just disappears without an explanation.

It's really putting me off posting as it seems a bit pointless, tbh. I actually think threads should be locked, not deleted so people can still see them and the MN message as to why they are locked. It would also really help the issue of PBPs posting repeat goady threads about the same subject, which has happened on at least one of the deleted threads I was on. I also reported but of course you no longer get a response, so this coupled with not knowing why threads have been deleted, makes me shrug and close a lot of threads I would normally post on.

FarFromFolsomPrison Sun 29-Jan-17 12:53:48

Please tell me that wasn't the champagne being nicked thread, btw? If so it basically means people can post anything then throw their toys out of the pram willy nilly if they are disagreed with, knowing MNHQ will delete. That OP said she had NCed so it can't have been a privacy worry surely?

It seems to be saving the OP's feelings at the expense of everyone else's' feelings of having their time completely wasted.

pinkieandperkie Sun 29-Jan-17 13:01:17

Ah the champagne thread.

WorraLiberty Sun 29-Jan-17 13:34:50

I didn't see the thread but I agree the amount of deletions for silly reasons, is getting ridiculous.

Sparklingbrook Sun 29-Jan-17 13:47:41

I have only been here 5 years but in that time it does seems that it has gone from being vv hard to get a thread deleted to it being done at the drop of a hat for any sort of reason.

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 29-Jan-17 14:08:24

Hi there,

Just to say we've seen this and are going to take comments on board. Will pass this on to others at MNHQ too.

Although there's always a deletion message, we understand this isn't visible on the App so we endeavour to always post on the thread first to give warning that it's going to go and why. Sorry if this hasn't always happened!

As ever, we really appreciate the feedback - thank you!

WaitrosePigeon Sun 29-Jan-17 14:35:02

Why can't you just lock them?

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 29-Jan-17 14:39:28

I think you're going to need to get used to it. More and more people are asking for thread deletions when they realise it might appear in the Daily Fail. I certainly did recently, for the first time ever.

ageingrunner Sun 29-Jan-17 14:41:36

I can't understand the op being worried, even if she had name changed, it'd be obvious to anyone who knew her from work. Especially if the daily mail picked it up.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 29-Jan-17 14:43:31

I used to think the same, and have posted nostalgically of the times when MNHQ said they wouldn't delete a thread just because the OP requested it, and I posted on that thread and disagreed with the OP, but actually, on reflection, threads turn mean pretty sharpish now. People get carried away. The tone of the OP's posts was changing, and actually her distress was being picked up on and mocked by some posters. Erring on the side of kindness is the right stance IMO.

ageingrunner Sun 29-Jan-17 14:43:43

Sorry should have said I agree with bibbity. I remember asking for a thread to be deleted about 7 yrs ago because I was worried my ex might see it and didn't want to rock the boat. I was probably being a bit over cautious at that time, and the thread was a brilliant source of support to me. If it was now, I just wouldn't have posted. It's a real shame.

Sparklingbrook Sun 29-Jan-17 14:51:46

Not even getting the thread deleted can save you though as this story proves

Daily Mail link if that bothers you-

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4168630/Mumsnet-ordered-hand-identities-users.html

FrancisCrawford Sun 29-Jan-17 16:12:24

Yes, it was the champagne thief thread.

Nice to see MN on this thread, but they haven't said why the number of posts on a thread is a criteria for deletion.

it just looked like another case of toys being thrown out of the pram because most folk felt the OP was way OTT. Several folk had posted on the thread saying there was zero case for deletion.

Any comment on why deletion was felt to be appropriate, MN?

ThinkPinkStink Sun 29-Jan-17 16:18:57

To be honest, the Champagne Thief OP can name change as much as she likes, I'm sure I'd recognise her dulcet style anywhere.

I hope the Champagne is on her desk on Monday.

KateDaniels2 Sun 29-Jan-17 16:24:10

I was on 2 threads yesterday. This one and another that were both deleted. The otger eas for similar reasons.

Its all well and good mn saying the post on a thread to explain why. But a lot of us dont sit on MN all day.

If a poster simply doesnt like what being said MN delete it. It ridiculous. Puts me off posting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now