Talk

Advanced search

To dislike the pictures on mumsnet

(45 Posts)
lingle Wed 25-Jan-17 08:53:35

I don't like the pictures. Sorry if this has been done before... I waited awhile because I thought it was just a "dislike of change" thing.

The models all look like....well....models, despite their stagy expressions. It's all thick curls artfully dishevelled.

The straw that broke the camel 's back for me was a post from a morbidly obese mumsnetter seeking support to lose weight. This generated a picture of a model who was clearly a size 14.

I think that if mumsnet really feels that it needs images something like cartoon drawings from a professional illustrator might be better.

EduCated Wed 25-Jan-17 08:56:09

Which pictures do you mean? Can you link?

lingle Wed 25-Jan-17 08:56:56

Right will try hold n...

gamerchick Wed 25-Jan-17 08:58:03

I'm not sure what you mean as well. Do you mean the pictures are of models and not the mumsnetter?

lingle Wed 25-Jan-17 08:59:28

Here.

lingle Wed 25-Jan-17 09:02:11

So for instance I have not read the cancer one, and maybe the OP likes it, but real women who are ill do not usually look like that.

Also the neighbours one. No one looks as Hollywood as that round here, not even the naturally good looking ones.

lingle Wed 25-Jan-17 09:03:07

To see the pictures you have to get out of Talk and on to the home page.

Cakingbad Wed 25-Jan-17 09:03:41

I agree. The models are too bland and model-like. It looks dated.

NavyandWhite Wed 25-Jan-17 09:03:48

I like the babies!

WingMirrorSpider Wed 25-Jan-17 09:07:03

I agree in the main, but the photo on the page about the OP with cancer is actually her - it's a guest post.

gamerchick Wed 25-Jan-17 09:09:21

Ah I get you. It's always been like that hasn't it? I don't really pay much attention to the home page usually.

stoopido Wed 25-Jan-17 09:24:20

I haven't noticed because I bypass all that and never read them. However, I think the pages and banners are too busy and there's too much clogging the site.

user1485332909 Wed 25-Jan-17 09:24:59

I agree

Brankolium Wed 25-Jan-17 09:33:02

I find them cheesy and amusing. But then I suppose cheesy and amusing isn't necessarily appropriate for every thread.

What does bug me is the video ads that autoplay and slow the page down, sometimes freezing it and making me restart my browser. The problem probably lies with my computer though, not Mumsnet!

MsUnderstanding Wed 25-Jan-17 09:42:11

They're probable stock photos. I don't think MN can afford to waste time and cash getting models to pose for photos to go with each thread. I like the basic website and agree that some banners and ads that auto play are shite and make the my browser reload which is a pain.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 25-Jan-17 09:44:36

but real women who are ill do not usually look like that.

Apart from the fact that is actually her though hmm

WorraLiberty Wed 25-Jan-17 09:55:42

Brankolium, I had the same problem so I downloaded Ad Blocker Plus (it's free) on the recommendation of a few other MNetters.

It's brilliant and sped it up no end.

The only downside, is that for about the last 6-8 months, it's causing the page to jump just as it finishes loading - so I often find myself clicking on the wrong thread accidentally, but it's a small price to pay and you do get used to it.

Despite it only happening on Mumsnet, the tech team apparently can't do anything about it and their only suggestion was to ditch it and put up with the ads again hmm

Cheatedtheday Wed 25-Jan-17 10:04:53

OP, given the circumstances, maybe you should get your comment about the lady with cancer deleted? She's a very popular mn'er and your remarks could appear somewhat insensitive (albeit not deliberate).

sizeofalentil Wed 25-Jan-17 10:04:56

I'm guessing they have a subscription to a stock images site which they have to use to source the pictures. Some of these sites are really limited with the sort of images they stock - all very staged and glossy, so there's not much they can do.

An illustrator would cost a fortune in comparison. You'd need at least one full time employee at about £35k per year. Think how many times they change the pictures and how many are used each day.

SlankyBodger Wed 25-Jan-17 10:14:36

I never see that page. I've bookmarked "I'm On" and come straight in.

MackerelOfFact Wed 25-Jan-17 10:18:03

They're definitely stock photos. I know from bitter experience that trying to source 'realistic' photos from these sites is a nightmare - everyone is blonde-haired, blue-eyed, perfectly made up, sterile, smiling and pristine.

I challenge you to visit www.thinkstockphotos.co.uk and find an image of 'neighbours' (for example) that doesn't make you want to puke.

Imamouseduh Wed 25-Jan-17 10:25:56

I think they look like normal people.

PlinkyTheFairyWitch Wed 25-Jan-17 10:26:39

Worra the jump is just the page loading where the ads would have been - Adblock doesn't remove them, it just hides them, I think. So it's loading the banner but not showing the ad. Nothing to do with MN itself.

HecateAntaia Wed 25-Jan-17 10:26:48

They're Istock, aren't they?

It's hard to get pictures that don't look like posed pictures. Unless you take them yourself or have them done. Istock are cheap and getting bespoke pics is not.

I use istock and they're really all like that.

lingle Wed 25-Jan-17 10:37:08

ok, it just happened to be the page that was up today, feel free to report if you wish and I've no problem if MNHQ want to remove (I didn't grasp that this was a guest post - just did a screenshot).

She's a good looking lady!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now