Talk

Advanced search

Intrusive ads again

(22 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

fruitbats Fri 13-Jan-17 18:14:03

Every time I click on Active threads, I get a hug banner across the top of my screen advertising Lemony Snickett series on Netflix. It says sponsored by Netflix.
Down both sides of the screen is black advertising AIBU but for Netflix.
This is EVERY time I click on active.
It is driving me mad angry

fruitbats Fri 13-Jan-17 18:14:23

*huge banner

fruitbats Fri 13-Jan-17 18:16:25

The side panels say 'great tips from Count Olaf'. Who is he and why do I need his bloody tips

fruitbats Fri 13-Jan-17 20:21:04

It is still there. I'm off

FlissMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 13-Jan-17 21:00:02

We're sorry to hear how frustrating this is!

Please do hang in there, we'll do our best to help but could you let us know how you're accessing so we can give our tech team a clearer picture of what's going on?

1) Can you let us know which device you're using (mobile, pc, Mac, laptop, iPad etc)?
2) If you're using a mobile, which one is it (Samsung, Blackberry, iPhone etc) ?
3) What browser are you using (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, Chrome etc)?
4) Are you accessing Mumsnet via the main site, the mobile site or the app?

Becca19962014 Sat 14-Jan-17 00:32:16

fliss

I'm not the op but I've had this problem this evening.

To answer your questions

1.Ipad
2. n/a
3. Safari
4. Mobile

I'm being told that active is sponsored by Netflix, no separate banner down the side or top. I've also, weirdly, had ads appearing telling me to avoid Netflix at the same time confused

I've nothing to do with Netflix, never searched for it so it's not from my internet history. It's very odd to get advertising for Netflix which is so intrusive and at the same time getting ads saying to avoid it!!

I've had no success getting a screenshot. Sorry.

fruitbats Sat 14-Jan-17 13:22:30

Here is the screen shot. I am using a Mac on the desktop, Safari browser.
It is still here - all the time!

fruitbats Sat 14-Jan-17 13:23:24

@MNHQ thanks for your post

fruitbats Sat 14-Jan-17 13:25:37

Desktop should say main site. Sorry

NiktheGreek Sat 14-Jan-17 13:26:24

I'm getting this on my laptop Google chrome, across the top and down both sides .

Becca19962014 Sat 14-Jan-17 14:16:54

That's similar to what I'm seeing though mine are not around the page saying do not watch but on the top and side bar where ads are.

fruitbats Sat 14-Jan-17 18:32:09

Still there angry

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 16-Jan-17 18:13:57

Hi all,

Thanks for getting back to us. This is an ad that's meant to be there - is it preventing any of you from reading the threads at all? We'll pass any feedback over, so please do keep it coming.

fruitbats Mon 16-Jan-17 18:16:31

Hi Katherine
It doesn't prevent me reading threads but it appears every time I click on active. I find it too dark and invasive on my screen, and very distracting. It is really putting me off sad

Becca19962014 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:29:13

katherine

It's not that it prevents reading of threads exactly but that it takes up so much of the screen, making it hard for some to read. It's also very dark, and, for me, confusing. I do not understand why you have active sponsored by Netflix and then an ad all around it which is very dark and hard to read for Netflix when the only light bit I can see says 'do not use' and 'Netflix'.

I don't use Netflix so this maybe some kind of in-joke but it definitely don't be getting people to use it when it says do not use. But it is concerning (to me at least) to see an ad appearing a lot that says 'do not use'.

Becca19962014 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:30:04

Sorry that should be "definitely wont be getting people..."

SapphireBird Mon 16-Jan-17 19:31:02

I've just had an ad filling my whole screen! It said scroll down, but it still conveniently cover the content I wanted to see!

iPad and safari

Becca19962014 Mon 16-Jan-17 19:51:38

Actually I'm coming back to say I've had that happen to me since my last post sapphirebird

BIWI Mon 16-Jan-17 19:54:30

Install ad blocker. It's free.
Sorry MNHQ but you really don't not seem to get, or care, how intrusive this kind if advertising is.

fruitbats Fri 20-Jan-17 20:46:49

It's gone. At last!!

Roomba Sat 21-Jan-17 11:22:25

I have adblocker installed and it works really well, but I've had this advert over the last few days too.

Then this morning I've suddenly had new tabs opening up, dodgy ads all over the page and noticed I was showing as not logged in. The address bar showed I wasn't actually on Mumsnet and my DNS settings had been highjacked and changed!

I have (hopefully) managed to clean the malware out, but I'm worried that it may have originated here? I haven't had chance to look at many other sites over the last few days, just here and the Guardian site.

Roomba Sat 21-Jan-17 11:22:57

Forgot to say I'm using Chrome on a Windows 8.1 laptop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now