Talk

Advanced search

Seeing who's posted in a thread

(10 Posts)
StayAChild Tue 10-Jan-17 11:30:12

On another forum I frequent, from the topic home page there is a facility to see who's posted in any thread by clicking on replies (the number of replies to each thread is shown here on MN). It's useful if you sometimes want to check who's posted without trawling through a whole long thread.
Is there another way to do this that I've missed on MN?

MoleculeEmoji Tue 10-Jan-17 11:39:43

Interesting idea. Genuinely curious, why do you need to see who has posted?

PhilODox Tue 10-Jan-17 11:45:56

Just use AS.

StayAChild Tue 10-Jan-17 12:01:14

MoleculeEmoji
No reason, it's just interesting to see who is posting in any thread in one click, and if someone has replied to a question without going to the trouble of AS.
Thanks for responses.

MrsHathaway Tue 10-Jan-17 12:44:13

Do you mean when you're looking for a particular poster? You sort of can.

Example:

I open a long thread in Relationships. Before I get engrossed, I want to see if AnyFucker has posted because I know she has good trolldar and is conspicuous by her absence on threads which end up deleted for hairy hands.

So I go into "view all posts" mode then use my browser's "find on this page" function to search for AnyFucker. That will also find her in Christmas name change mode when she's eg AnyFuckerForAMincePie.

AuntieStella Tue 10-Jan-17 12:49:17

I don't really see the point

Not least because MN has periods of being slow and cranky, especially when tech has been fiddling around with it, so I'm generally against changes to functionality unless there is overwhelming demand or a tech-driven necessity.

There are two ways given in this thread that would help you stalk find specific posters. But I think that on the whole MN is a place where people expect you to read threads, not cherry pick.

StayAChild Tue 10-Jan-17 13:01:29

MrsHathaway
I guess that would be one use for it, and one click on replies would eliminate the need to search for a particular poster, especially as they could be listed in alphabetical order.

My idea would be to get the gist of a long thread by checking who's posting, e.g. is it a fairly closed topic with just a few posters or a more comprehensive thread with multiple posters? Are regulars posting?
Of course it's easy enough to just check the first page. It was a useful option on the music forum I used.

MrsHathaway Tue 10-Jan-17 14:32:47

I'm not convinced.

I can see that it could be useful to see eg "100 posts from 6 posters" (quiche) v "100 posts from 95 posters" (what's for tea). That could be a column in Active with relatively little database hammering.

But I'm not convinced it would be useful enough often enough.

And that's before the name change issue which presumably didn't exist on DoubleTonguingNet.

AnguaResurgam Tue 10-Jan-17 17:07:22

"My idea would be to get the gist of a long thread by checking who's posting,"

Wouldn't it be better to get the gist by skim reading?

StayAChild Tue 10-Jan-17 17:25:53

AnguaResurgam
Well yes, I suppose so. It's good to have various ways to do things though.
Can't see there being much demand so maybe it's not such a good idea after all, especially with all the name changing. smile
Thanks for reading all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now