Talk

Advanced search

Contradicting standards?

(23 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 08:18:11

Please can MNHQ explain why this message:

KatherineMumsnet

Can we avoid speculation please, else we will have to pull the thread.

...was posted on the Blind Gossip 8 thread in relation to posters discussing in 'code', with no reference to names, the possibility of a news blackout/embargo relating to the health status of the Queen, when other threads explicitly discussing the same have been allowed to stand with no susequent warnings or deletions?

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 08:19:41

subsequent obviously.

tiredvommachine Fri 30-Dec-16 08:19:59

Yes, double standards much?

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 08:26:21

Much! wink Hopefully there will be a response for clarification.

tiredvommachine Fri 30-Dec-16 08:41:52

<Drums fingers...>

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 09:04:56

wink

Cooo-eeeeeeeeeee!!!

amysmummy12345 Fri 30-Dec-16 10:39:19

I'm with you @MargotLovedTom <stamps foot > 😁

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 11:19:09

Hello Amy. Frustrating, isn't it?

GoldAndGlittery Fri 30-Dec-16 12:19:13

Indeed...

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 15:11:24

Still no reply or explanation or acknowledgement.......

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 30-Dec-16 15:53:13

Hallo everyone- thanks for your questions; as you're probably aware, Mumsnet is post moderated by a number of individuals and each report is judged on its own merit. We tend to get a steady stream of reports about all the Blind Gossip threads and this is why they readily come to our attention. If you see anything across the boards do report, though we do generally allow discussion if info is already in the public domain.

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 17:46:56

Thanks for your reply. It doesn't really explain why there was a warning shot across the bows and deletions on the discreet Blind Gossip thread, while entire threads on the same subject, discussing the matter openly, are allowed to stand.

I appreciate your getting back to me though.

EverySongbirdSays Fri 30-Dec-16 17:55:46

I'm genuinely curious as to whether the steady stream of reports about the thread are from lots of different random posters or always from the same posters in the manner of a sustained campaign... it sometimes feels like the latter to be honest

EverySongbirdSays Fri 30-Dec-16 17:59:39

Margot I think what Becky means is that they received reports about our thread, but not the other two, which drew their attention to us, as they get so many reports the threads they intervene on all come from reports.

(because people are hypocrites with double standards and so will report our thread for salaciousness and wanted to rubberneck at possible breaking news last night/this morning)

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 18:16:45

grin

I actually reported the 'Media Blackout?' thread within a few posts of it starting as I was curious as to whether it would be allowed to stand after the warning on the Blind Gossip thread. When it was indeed left standing that's when I got my dander up wink. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

noeuf Fri 30-Dec-16 20:51:03

Your thread is sometimes a bit 'off' though, or odd. I can see why people might report (I haven't) but I had a look recently and was a bit hmm at using nicknames after Carrie Fisher died - calling her Buns or Space Princess seemed really disrespectful somehow.

EverySongbirdSays Fri 30-Dec-16 21:04:51

The nature of the thread means we can't use real names at all, because we can't slip up and once a real name is used for one person the chances of it becoming a free for all on real names and losing the thread is huge, we changed it after issues with the follow ups to the original.

I only ever started one thread, and when that thread got filled several people started copy cat ones, which went to hell in a hand cart fast.

So I agreed to start a fourth if we stuck solely to codenames, it's about keeping the thread, full stop. If one name is used because the thing is common knowledge, something else could be said about someone connected that is not common knowledge

I now share the thread with someone else as I felt it was getting beyond my control. I can't police every other poster, I'm not a mod.

Members of the threads asked for them to continue HQ agreed

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 23:08:04

Yes, agree with Every. Also, the nicknames to which you refer were given before she was even taken ill - they were not and are not disrespectful in the slightest. There are bound to be different things on this site which people personally finds 'off' but a live and let live approach goes a long way.

My point in starting this thread was to find out why speculation on a certain subject was disallowed in one place, but given free rein in another.

MargotLovedTom Fri 30-Dec-16 23:08:37

Find not finds

amispartacus Sat 31-Dec-16 14:27:58

My point in starting this thread was to find out why speculation on a certain subject was disallowed in one place, but given free rein in another

If the thread on the media blackout had been pulled, that would have just added more speculation......

noeuf Sat 31-Dec-16 20:52:56

Fair enough but once she was dead and it was common knowledge, do you really feel calling her 'Buns' was necessary? It just reads a bit horribly, and as I said I haven't reported anything (just peeked in and read a bit) but I can see why your thread might attract reports.

MargotLovedTom Sun 01-Jan-17 06:08:44

Oh come on noeuf, how does it read horribly? It was an affectionate nickname relating to the hairstyle of an iconic character. Hardly horrible.

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-Jan-17 08:34:52

I have never looked at a BG thread. I thought it was about a soap / TV show called Blind Gossip. blush

<Goes off to look>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now