Talk

Advanced search

MN overhaul

(43 Posts)
PlumsGalore Wed 21-Dec-16 19:53:59

Is it just me, or does anyone else use other forums that seem more user friendly?

I spent quite a bit of time on StudentRoom when DC were applying for Uni and have also spent a lot of time on British Expats. Both enable editing of your post (helpful with typos or predictive text errors) and both allow quoting of previous posts.

Both these are fundamental functions on a forum. I bloody hate having to bold a previous user when commenting on a thread, it just doesn't flow.

Any chance of any upgrade?

PolterGooseFat Wed 21-Dec-16 20:01:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DonkeyOaty Wed 21-Dec-16 20:02:22

Nope and nope.

The preview bouton is handy.

scaevola Wed 21-Dec-16 20:14:48

There have been lots of threads about this.

I like it that MN does not have either of those two functions.

As you note, OP, there are lots of places that do offer them, and there is nothing to prevent you using those sites happily, and leaving MN to the (thousands) who like if just as it is

LiviaDrusillaAugusta Wed 21-Dec-16 20:15:34

Oh excellent - is it time for the weekly thread about the edit button?

Hellmouth Wed 21-Dec-16 20:17:38

and leaving MN to the (thousands) who like to live in the past

wink

Hassled Wed 21-Dec-16 20:18:53

I found the Student Room hideous (I mean a great site with nice helpful people, but so hard to navigate or read) so I'm really surprised at your OP. What was I missing? And I hate forums where, for example, someone can reply directly to this post of mine, and someone can reply to that etc etc and the original OP is completely derailed. By not being able to reply to a poster or embed whole posts in your post, it keeps the thread at least vaguely on track. I have no wish for MN to be overhauled.

Hellmouth Wed 21-Dec-16 20:19:26

and leaving MN to the (thousands) who are technologically illiterate

wink

Hellmouth out

NiktheGreek Wed 21-Dec-16 20:20:45

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what is the point of an edit function? There is a preview function which serves the same purpose but without the potential for re writing history.

PacificDogwod Wed 21-Dec-16 20:21:59

I love living in the past and being technically semi illiterate grin

No from me.

Tweasels Wed 21-Dec-16 20:22:37

And before anyone says it NO to a like button as well.

IrenetheQuaint Wed 21-Dec-16 20:22:45

Other forums are full of pointless features and appallingly dull people

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:20

What exactly is the cooking component here?

One squirt from one bottle, one readymade disc of jelly and a ready made sauce?

scaevola Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:52

Straw man argument Hellmouth

I'm tech fine - indeed cutting edge (brag brag, sorry).

But that's utterly unrelated to liking MN just as it is

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:57

Oh .
Sorry!

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Wed 21-Dec-16 20:24:35

If I wanted to be on a site with those features, I would be.

PacificDogwod Wed 21-Dec-16 20:25:16

Now that scaevola has said that, I feel the need to say that I am NOT living in the past and I AM in fact semi-tech literate grin

In all seriousness, change for changes sake is just silly.
And other forums are available....

ClashCityRocker Wed 21-Dec-16 20:25:21

I like MN's simplicity.

If it ain't broke...

Given its popularity in its current form, an overhaul would be foolish to say the least. I've been on active forums before that have been killed by overhauls.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 21-Dec-16 20:30:18

YANBU. Something like www.discourse.org is way nicer to use.

The problem with MN is asfaik it is built using proprietary software so it is really hard for them to keep up with developments , especially worrying when this includes security.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Wed 21-Dec-16 20:30:22

I don't like the edit because it will lead to some epic bunfights.
And the quoting because it goes all wonky.

WellErrr Wed 21-Dec-16 20:40:20

I like it simple, as it is.

TheMortificadosDragon Wed 21-Dec-16 20:46:28

The first parenting site I ever used had the thing where you could reply to specific posts, so you'd get embedded sub- discussions, it was pretty tedious to wade through.

You don't have to bold a previous poster (actually I think this is a relatively recent evolved practice on here), you can do whatever makes most sense to you.

SwedishEdith Wed 21-Dec-16 20:46:34

The Student Room is dreadful! Impossible to find anything and looks so dated.

LittleStripyBee Wed 21-Dec-16 20:48:36

I can't follow posts with sub discussions, nice and linear works.

AllTheBabies Wed 21-Dec-16 20:49:30

I like it as it is. Maybe because it was one of the first forums that I really read but the layout makes total sense to me.

I don't see the need for an edit button. A few spelling mistakes don't really matter.

I can see that quoting could be useful though. Sometimes on a thread a poster will say "I agree with x" but to find what x said that they agree with you have to look back through the thread and hope that you spot x's post. I always give up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now