Talk

Advanced search

Serial namechanging and competitions.

(10 Posts)
GoodyGoodyGumdrops Tue 13-Dec-16 21:22:42

When asked for your MN name in a competition/prize draw etc, does a namechanger have to put their current one, or can you use any of your names?

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Dec-16 09:21:52

Hi there flowers

We'll still be able to find you so long as you own the nickname, so any will do!

We really hope this clears things up, but if there's anything else then please do give us a shout.

MrFMercury Wed 14-Dec-16 09:24:18

I can't change my username. Sometimes I want to reply to a thread and not link it to this name because I want to share something personal and potentially identifying. If I try to it just tells me I don't own that user name no matter how many I try?

YesThisIsMe Wed 14-Dec-16 09:28:13

You need to go to the Your Account screen, choose a new name there and enter your password MrF. It may take a while to find a name that hasn't been taken but you'll get there in the end.

LornaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 14-Dec-16 09:34:31

Hi there MrFMercury,

It sounds like all the names you're choosing are actually taken!
Have you tried adding some numbers on at the end of the chosen name?

If the issue persists, do pop us an email at contactus@mumsnet.com and we will do our best to get to the bottom of this.

MrFMercury Wed 14-Dec-16 09:43:10

YesThisIsMe ah thank you that makes sense because I'm just trying on the reply screen of the actual threads. I suppose it stops people changing every five seconds.
LornaMumsnet Yes I always try adding random numbers but as above I think I'm not changing it in the right place. It means reading a thread, going to my account and changing my username and then going back to reply then which is a bit long winded but it does stop endless name changes.
Thanks both for your help smile

GoodyGoodyGumdrops Wed 14-Dec-16 16:11:21

Thanks, Lorna.

00100001 Tue 27-Dec-16 08:49:58

mrFMercury
You can just type in one of your aliases in the 'username' box on any thread. and it will post as that name.

Just type over your greyed out username with one you own smile

MrFMercury Sun 01-Jan-17 09:58:40

Can I set up an alias on my account then so I can name change there and then?

00100001 Sun 01-Jan-17 10:26:00

Yes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now