Talk

Advanced search

How about a campaign where the users get MNHQ staff to take diversity training?

(461 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Ghostofasmile Thu 03-Nov-16 13:09:05

MNHQ themselves have displayed ignorance (at best) over the last few months and prejudice / discrimination at worst when dealing with certain situations.
For example Justine, the sites owner herself over the last few days has made some very ignorant and damaging comments about diabetes.
We have seen the same with many times with Racism too as well as low level disablism.

Unless you are white, middle class and able bodied HQ isn't a nice place to be.

Post here if you would like this to take place. HQ need training and they need it fast.

Badders123 Thu 03-Nov-16 13:15:50

Completely agree

GingerIvy Thu 03-Nov-16 13:16:14

I agree, however, suspect that MN will implode before this is actually taken seriously.

AliceInUnderpants Thu 03-Nov-16 13:20:47

I completely agree that this is necessary, however it's very hard convincing someone to change when they feel they are completely right in the first place sad

EdmundCleverClogs Thu 03-Nov-16 15:53:00

I agree. It should start with swallowing pride and making a public apology over the whole diabetes issue, and take it from there. No one is above change and learning from mistakes.

TeaAddict235 Thu 03-Nov-16 15:58:12

Agree, agree, agree. But who will give MNHQ the diversity training, I wonder? My experience of such training at work is that the trainers themselves aren't the most culturally appreciative people available. Maybe suggest that the MNHQ are sent to events such as Asian Person of the Year or MOBO awards, Black hair and beauty events etc? In order for them to fully appreciate the diversity of the users.

MaddyHatter Thu 03-Nov-16 16:01:33

absolutely agree.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 03-Nov-16 16:06:45

<gets comfy>

monkeywithacowface Thu 03-Nov-16 16:11:33

Yes I agree. As I said on the deleted thread it's time to stop wasting our energies arguing with toady trolls and to direct our objections towards MNHQ. I think the best form of attack against these threads is to derail them By putting the focus on HQ and forcing a response.

If MNHQ won't delete disabilist posts we need to be the ones to shut down the conversation by actively not engaging in the the argument with individual posters who aren't interested in being educated and forcing HQ's arm to respond

monkeywithacowface Thu 03-Nov-16 16:12:31

Goady not toady trolls!

slenderisthenight Thu 03-Nov-16 16:40:29

I do agree. Culminating with Justine's complete failure to respond to the specific points raised by the mother who started the diabetes thread, MNHQ understanding of disability and sensitivity towards parents of children with disabilities (and parents with disabilities themselves) has been a car crash in recent times.

allowlsthinkalot Thu 03-Nov-16 16:44:33

Absolutely agree

LouisvilleLlama Thu 03-Nov-16 16:53:23

Badders123 Thu 03-Nov-16 16:55:05

I'm afraid mnhq are well out of their white, mc comfort zone and boy does it show!!
Justines comments were disgraceful and so ill advised.
But I could say that about every mnhq member lately...
sadangry

Badders123 Thu 03-Nov-16 16:55:52

Did anyone actually contact mn affiliates and point them in the direction the the disablist
Thread btw?

Thisjustinno Thu 03-Nov-16 16:56:24

No. It's a free to use optional website. Although I agree there are issues; I really don't understand why users think they can dictate what MNHQ should do or not do. I really don't understand it at all.

SausageSoda Thu 03-Nov-16 16:57:00

For those of us that didn't see the thread, what was the gist of Justine's comments?

Badders123 Thu 03-Nov-16 17:00:26

It's not dictating
It's pointing out that vile discriminatory posts are left to stand in the name of "education"
Disgusting

Saucery Thu 03-Nov-16 17:10:24

monkeywithacowface Thu 03-Nov-16 17:11:46

So by that reasoning Thisjust any business can behave in anyway they wish towards disabled people? Disabled people just need to suck it up?

monkeywithacowface Thu 03-Nov-16 17:17:24

Besides it's not dictating it's challenging the norms and putting pressures on the powers that be to create change. We could vote with our feet but as a minority voice it would be nothing more than a flounce and I doubt MNHQ would notice or care

Thisjustinno Thu 03-Nov-16 17:43:12

My post isn't just about this issue - it's the prevailing attitude on here that MNHQ should do this or that. Should ban certain words (not racist or disablist words), should take a particular stance politically in regards to e.g trans issues. That they should stop the DM using threads. The demands that they should comment on this or that thread and the accusations thrown around when they don't.

I'm not being difficult or goady. I know there are issues on this site but it's a massive site which must be difficult to run and keep everyone happy. And no-one has to be here. It's an anonymous, free site.

I genuinely don't understand why people think they have a sense of ownership over it (to go as far as direct what training they think staff should get) yet somehow also hate it and are angered by it. Yes there are things that I object to on here but I would never think to demand this or that from MNHQ. I can delete my account at any time. It would have no impact for MN at all.

I appreciate that I might be on my own here but I really don't get it.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Thu 03-Nov-16 17:44:55

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 03-Nov-16 17:50:07

Thisjustinno

You are not on your own. MNHQ is required to run their site lawfully, that is it. MN is an unmoderated internet site where predominantly UK, predominantly women get together. That is all it is. It is not a publicly funded resource, or a charitable support site - it is a web forum open to all.

zippey Thu 03-Nov-16 18:13:23

I haven't come across any posts MNHQ have made which weren't fair and just. They probably get things wrong from time to time but overall I am happy with what the do. They can't control all the nasty posts and they need to strike a delicate balance between freedom of speech and unacceptable speech. I think they do this well. I don't think there is a need for any training. They are good people doing a difficult job. Let's face it, they will never please everybody.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now