To Ask That MNHQ Treat ALL Posts/Posters/Campaigns Seeking To Derail & Hunt Out Any Form Of Bigotry, As They Do Troll Hunters

(212 Posts)
RockinHippy Thu 20-Oct-16 11:43:03

The current trend has been a campaign to point out & completely derail threads with shouts of disabilsm, too often IMHO, unfounded.

Though I do feel a lot of empathy for the posters involved & know too well that disablism can exist. Plus I don't doubt they have difficult lives dealing with all that comes with DCs with SN, however I do feel what is happening currently on MN is way over the top, hypersensitive & does no one any favours, least of all the disabled & is IMHO comparable to "troll hunting" & feel it would improve many posters enjoyment of MN if MNHQ could treat this & any similarly bigot hunting posts/campaigns in the same way as they do Troll Hunters.

I should add, I am a disabled DM, of a disabled DC & as such I do not appreciate the current campaign as speaking for us all - not in my name thank you very much, its way OTT & quite frankly damaging & it has become very boring.

I have no intention if getting into any debates, I have seen enough posts to form the opinion that the inevitable stress & real life disabilist problems that can of course go hand in hand with raising DCs with SN can result in a warped perspective of others intentions. I also find it sad, that posters who should have far more empathy for people starting threads in difficult & stressful situations, might not actually word themselves very well & really don't need posters jumping down their throats for perceived bigotry that the rest of us do not see. Ive just left a thread with a prime example of that, where reference to a school looking out for "bad kids" was instantly taken to mean SN, rather than just troubled kids in all quises, very often without any SN at all, as has been our own experience with a similarly biased primary school. That is not disabilism, it is is simply a bad choice of words referring to disruptive & aggressive behaviour for a host of reasons.

I wont reply to any attacks on this post. I just think in the interest of keeping MN the welcoming, place where parents etc can ask for help & opinions related to a specific issue, that it is meant to be. That it might be helpful that all such campaigns & posts be treat in the same way as troll hunting & any grievances as regards any posting/threads be reported, rather than attacked in the frenzied & unhelpful way that seems to be happening too often of late.

Perhaps those of us who feel this way can let MNHQ know here...

Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 11:49:24

This isn't going to go well tbh

The problem is, sometimes there is disabilism when it isn't obvious. I don't mind it being pointed out

I don't appreciate being jumped on and accused of being disabilist.

That is the difference

RockinHippy Thu 20-Oct-16 11:57:18

You are right Soubriquet & I also have no problem with the former, but all I am seeing lately is the latter & sadly I don't think it does any of us any favours & there does seem to be a big campaign of attacking going on, on here atm

Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 11:58:58

I agree. It's not nice and it's making mn a very unpleasant place to be lately

But I do understand how frustrated people are. They are bit being listened to, told by MNHQ that they are seeing things and being told they are the "SN squad". It's going to hurt. It's going to get them on the attack.

Something needs to change. But I don't know what

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 20-Oct-16 12:02:22

I agree with you OP. It's making it impossible to ask any question about anything without being accused of disablism.

I'm surprised the thread about the idiot neighbours hasn't been ripped apart for disablism as there might possibly be hidden disabilities/MH issues and the OP should just suck it up because to do otherwise is covert disablism.

Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 12:04:09

Well actually I'm surprised the word idiot wasn't pulled up on tbh

I know it's not a PC term on here

RockinHippy Thu 20-Oct-16 12:05:10

Yes, I have seen some awful attacks, both unfounded & just plain OTT where a polite pointing out what was said badly would probably have far more effect.

Its definitely ruining MN right now thats for sure

Im not 100% sure what the answer is myself either TBH, but something needs to be done & maybe attacks treat as troll hunting would at least stop the worst of it, though hopefully dealt with by MN staff with correct training or experience to recognise when there is a genuine valid compkaint & not just brush it off

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 20-Oct-16 12:18:16

No I don't know the answer either, but I think your comparison to troll hunting is valid.

See it, report it. If MNHQ don't delete then assume they disagree with you. If you can't accept that then leave, or if you think they are falling foul of any laws make an official complaint.

NerrSnerr Thu 20-Oct-16 12:30:23

I think it's inevitable two things are going to happen in the near future. There is going to be a huge influx of goady threads about disabled people and 'Aibu to be annoyed because someone who may be disabled did something to annoy me' because some people enjoy arguments and know that it'll get lots of people riled up and discussing their anger on other threads. Unfortunately people with real problems won't bother posting because they won't want the agro. I know I wouldn't at the moment.

WaitrosePigeon Thu 20-Oct-16 12:32:07

Thank you for posting this.

BishopBrennansArse Thu 20-Oct-16 12:34:44

This morning there are threads on here advocating calling the police because a school has failed to meet the needs of a child with an and because of this mother child was hurt. Who was blamed? The child, not the school.

There's also a thread advocating making decisions for people unable to express their opinion for the caregiver's best interests not the disabled person.

Whilst this attitude exists it needs to be highlighted. There is covert disablism here all the time as well as overt.

I haven't name called. Yes I've been abrupt but I've had ten years of being told to shut up, that tends to make you a bit abrupt tbh. I've also contributed to threads in a way that attempts to be constructive.

I've also said I don't speak for the entire disabled community so OP do you think you can do the same? Speak for yourself not an entire community?

Silencing members of a minority group because what they say causes discomfort is not a good thing to do.

GingerIvy Thu 20-Oct-16 12:37:31

Perhaps when someone comes calmly on those threads and mentions SNs or disabilities, if others didn't instantly jump at them accusing them of shouting disabilism or discrimination and being aggressive (when they have not been), then the threads wouldn't reach that point. It happens a lot.

Smartleatherbag Thu 20-Oct-16 12:38:35

This thread title, it's suggesting we do not highlight bigotry?? What??!

Soubriquet Thu 20-Oct-16 12:39:14

That's a fair point too GingerIvy

The respect has to go both ways

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Thu 20-Oct-16 12:40:31

The problem at the moment Bishop is not that what you are saying is causing discomfort... it's that how you are going about it is not making people question their thoughts, it's making people think "oh fuck off then".

NerrSnerr Thu 20-Oct-16 12:42:21

I agree with ginger that it's not one set of people causing the arguments. I have no issue with people calmly point things out. I did get a bit upset with a thread recently where that didn't happen to me, and I was told straight away that my own personal experience wasn't personal enough so I wasn't qualified to comment. That really pissed me off.

Smartleatherbag Thu 20-Oct-16 12:42:44

So, people should respect bigots?!

WatcherOfTheNight Thu 20-Oct-16 12:44:44

Bishop I think posters suggested calling the police because the child was punched in the face which is physical assault.
My child was assaulted at school,I called the police,it's what needs to be done in situations where someone has been assaulted isn't it ?

DixieNormas Thu 20-Oct-16 12:46:03

Maybe you should ask mnhq to stop people coming on to the threads on site stuff about disablism just to slag off posters there, that would be helpful

BishopBrennansArse Thu 20-Oct-16 12:46:22

So once again we're back to disabled people should be meek and mild? I've not name called. I've pointed out where the disablism lies and how that affects the people involved. As for he housing thread I wasn't on it but will say I felt initially it wasn't disablist but what concerned me was professionals posting on thread saying they wouldn't live next door to a disabled person thus perpetuating the disabled = bad rhetoric.

MaddyHatter Thu 20-Oct-16 12:46:27

So in other words you just want everyone to sit down, shut up and sit in the corner. Kind of like Society has always expected us to do, because they don't understand, we make them uncomfortable and they don't like to have their comfy little ablist world view challenged.

I call Status Quo Warrior on this, i really do.

“One of the great liabilities of history is that all too many people fail to remain awake through great periods of social change. Every society has its protectors of status quo and its fraternities of the indifferent who are notorious for sleeping through revolutions. Today, our very survival depends on our ability to stay awake, to adjust to new ideas, to remain vigilant and to face the challenge of change.”
― Martin Luther King Jr.

We are allowed to speak up for ourselves.
We are allowed to ask people to stop and think about their world view.
We are allowed to have our voices heard.

Mozfan1 Thu 20-Oct-16 12:48:05

I think HQ just needs to clear up the boundaries, tie up the loose ends.

Otherwise, it's not clear to everybody What is and isn't acceptable

That way, we all know what is expected of ourselves, and if someone breaks said rules, they will have their comments removed. As long as we all know where we stand, there will be no ambiguity, there will be no 'accusing' or 'hunting'... It will be dealt with the same way as any other racist/sexist/etc comment is treated on mumsnet.

MorrisZapp Thu 20-Oct-16 12:48:22

This thread won't last but I agree with you.

I gave up on the Sally Phillips thread. I was repeatedly accused of disablism, because of my views on womens rights to termination.

I can't argue it. If I argue with the parents of children with disabilities I will look like an almighty prick so I just left the thread.

It pissed me off.

NavyandWhite Thu 20-Oct-16 12:49:33

Well said Rockin.

Mozfan1 Thu 20-Oct-16 12:49:48

(And I am someone that was very riled and upset by the reaction of certain posters on previous threads, but, trying to remain 'impartial' or 'level headed', this is what I would suggest.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now