Talk

Advanced search

I am still Spartacus

(187 Posts)
OscarDeLaYenta Thu 01-Sep-16 19:14:10

Seems timely. Sadly still required.

I am Oscar, and I remain Spartacus. Really cannot be arsed to C&P or restate my position.... I shouldn't need to have to state the need for language to reflect reality in the first place.....

(Belated shout-out to seek for brilliantly using the Spartacus analogy in the first place!)

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 01-Sep-16 19:29:03

I am still very much Lumpy Sparticus.

I'm helping navigate an 11 year old through puberty, I've fought all my life against gender stereotyping as it harms both sexes.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 01-Sep-16 19:29:47

Also, still Spartacus

OlennasWimple Thu 01-Sep-16 19:30:47

Me too. I also still utterly reject the term "cis"

OrangeNoodle Thu 01-Sep-16 19:48:48

100% still Spartacus.

Still wanting to know from MNHQ whether MN is a place where members are welcome and supported to speak out against transactivism that is harmful to women and girls.

Because this question hasn't been answered. And it's an important one.

SoHairyAndForeverSpartacus Thu 01-Sep-16 19:49:54

<Taken from a post by HairyLittlePoet>

The Spartacus thread is mostly full of people with XX chromosomes, ovaries, uteri, vaginas, brilliant ungendered brains and a lifetime of being treated as second class citizens. Women.

We - those women - are telling you that being a woman is about having those chromosomes, that menstruating body, those brilliant brains and enduring a lifetime being treated as less than men.

Women don't share a 'gender'
Women don't have the same personality
Women don't WEAR a certain type of clothing, or makeup
Women don't FEEL the same
Women don't THINK the same
Women don't BEHAVE the same
Women don't EXPRESS the same
Women don't SPEAK the same

There is literally no way of FEELING, THINKING, BEHAVING, EXPRESSING, SPEAKING or WEARING anything that makes anyone LIKE A WOMAN.

Women are not those things. We are human beings and we are all different.

Except for this, this one thing that puts us all in the same boat, whether we like or hate one another, whether we disagree on politics or religion, whether we live now or lived thousands of years ago, whether we are mothers or childless, whether we are kind or hateful, peaceful or violent, black or white, rich or poor, this thing which exists whether we are alive or dead, this thing which is common to all women, and distinct from ALL MEN?

Chromosomes, ovaries, uteri, vaginas, ungendered brains, and, almost without exception, a lifetime of being treated as less than men.

That's what women have in common.

----
<Taken from a post by Oscar>
I am Spartacus!
Men cannot become women, ever. Women cannot become men, ever.

Anna Lee is a man. And I shall refer to him as he.
Ada Wells is a man. And I shall refer to him as he.
Paris Lees is a man. And I shall refer to him as he.
Alex Drummond is a man. And I shall refer to him as he.
Danielle Muscato is a man. And I shall refer to him as he.
Buck Angel is a woman. And I shall refer to her as she.

LittleBearPad Thu 01-Sep-16 19:50:58

Having read the rebuttal thread to I am Spartacus...

I am firmly declaring I am Spartacus.

EmpressKnowsWhereHerTowelIs Thu 01-Sep-16 19:51:32

What OrangeNoodle said.

I am Empress Spartacus.

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Thu 01-Sep-16 19:52:04

Still Spartacus

PatMullins Thu 01-Sep-16 19:53:25

Still Spartacus.

kua Thu 01-Sep-16 19:55:09

Still Spartacus

Amalfimamma Thu 01-Sep-16 20:00:13

Saw the original thread, followed, didn't post because I didn't feel like spartaco.

Read and commented the other anti spartacus thread and am here to say that thanks to that TA commenter I am Spartacus,

MoreCoffeeNow Thu 01-Sep-16 20:04:20

Still Spartacus

NonHypotheticalLurkingParent Thu 01-Sep-16 20:11:00

I am NonHypotheticalLurkingParent and was compelled to stop lurking after the Mumsnet response on the last thread mentioned hypothetical parents that lurk.

I am, a non lurking, Spartacus

PlectrumElectrum Thu 01-Sep-16 20:11:24

I'm still Spartacus too.

BarryMerry Thu 01-Sep-16 20:11:26

Still Spartacus. Not cis. There is no such thing as a female penis. Gender is a hierarchical invention to keep women subordinate and available to men for reproductive/sexual/caring services.

SpeckledyBanana Thu 01-Sep-16 20:11:31

Still Spartacus here, too.

WheresMaHairyToe Thu 01-Sep-16 20:17:37

Yeah, me too.

EttaJ Thu 01-Sep-16 20:20:48

Ditto,still Spartacus. Never cis.

PolterGoose Thu 01-Sep-16 20:21:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peachescreatures Thu 01-Sep-16 20:25:09

Still Spartacus. Not cis or AFAB. I'm a woman.

I'm also the concerned aunt of a distressed teenager who has been caught up in the trans cult and wants to mutilate her body. She doesn't realise that she is perfect exactly as she is.

timelytess Thu 01-Sep-16 20:26:44

Seems timely - and so am I. I am timelytess and I am still Spartacus. Nothing you can do will stop me being a woman and nothing men can do will make them into women. I'm sorry. That must hurt some people. But that's how it is. By all means 'present' as a woman - be as comfortable in yourself as you possibly can be - but don't tell me what it is to be a woman because I know and you don't.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Thu 01-Sep-16 20:38:38

Still very much Spartacus.
I am proud to be part of this group of clear-sighted and clear-thinking women and men who have posted more articulately than I have on these threads - this thoughtful, well-informed, principled approach to parenting is for me one of the things Mumsnet has stood for and why I have always been proud to be part of the Mumsnet community even as we get dismissed as silly mummies.

I am sad that Mumsnet so far does not seem to be standing up clearly to represent the views of the majority of its members as they have done in the past.

I very much hope that MNHQ will give (even) more thought to this, because it's not going away any time soon.

It is vital that we continue to be allowed to define ourselves, based on our experiences, as women. Trans is a valid identity, I have no hatred towards transwomen, but women, actual women, still exist.

Nevermindatall Thu 01-Sep-16 20:44:16

I am Nevermind, but I still mind, and I am still Spartacus.

ITCouldBeWorse Thu 01-Sep-16 20:47:35

Still Spatacus

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now