MNHQ - if you are going to contribute your thoughts to the trans debate, can you use a new thread

(171 Posts)
Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:31:30

Because there are people who are part of the debate but have hidden and don't want to contribute to the threads you want to post on.

So please can you post your thoughts on a new thread. It would be open, its own thread and clear to see - rather than hidden in a post on a thread.

And I do appreciate that you have a lot of issues here to think about and you are not going to please everyone. Whatever decision you come to will be 'the wrong one for some'.

Enjoy your [gin] and chocolate at the staff meeting you will inevitably be having about this.

Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 10:32:13

Bloody title - it should have said contribute your thoughts

TanTanNubuck Mon 29-Aug-16 10:39:41

Why are people hiding threads that MN want to post on?

ExcuseMyEyebrows Mon 29-Aug-16 10:46:53

If someone chooses to hide a thread and misses MNHQ's comments regarding that thread then that's their fault surely confused

BoneyBackJefferson Mon 29-Aug-16 10:56:00

It would probably help if posters on some of the trans threads were actually discussing the issue (its a discussion forum after all) and not shutting down people that want to debate the issue.

MaudGonneMad Mon 29-Aug-16 10:58:54

I agree with Ego - that's a good idea. There are so many threads, and they are so long, that it would be better to have the MNHQ response (when it comes...) somewhere clearly identifiable.

BigDeskBob Mon 29-Aug-16 11:05:14

How are you part of the debate if you have hidden the thread?

SanityClause Mon 29-Aug-16 11:05:24

No, I agree with Ego on this.

I think it's a really big issue for a lot of posters (as it is for me). I can see why posters may have avoided or hidden threads, as being too upsetting along the way, and so might miss important messages from MNHQ.

TanTanNubuck Mon 29-Aug-16 11:08:10

Your post makes sense Maud.

But the reason that Ego wants the response on a separate thread is because some people apparently have the relevant threads hidden. confused Why do they have them hidden?

Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:39:26

Why do they have them hidden

There are about 3 or 4 current threads. Can you think why some people might hide the Spartacus thread?

Much better to have a stand alone thread with MN's response at the top rather than hidden within a thread some people might have hidden?

Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:40:54

* How are you part of the debate if you have hidden the thread*

There are at least 3 threads going on. One is a 'support thread' and others are debate threads.

MNHQ said they would post their response on the support thread.

Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:42:47

* How are you part of the debate if you have hidden the thread*

I was told quite clearly that the Spartacus thread was NOT a place for debate but a place to voice support.

TanTanNubuck Mon 29-Aug-16 11:50:22

Can you think why some people might hide the Spartacus thread?

Well I didn't realise I was getting into a guessing game when I asked that question. confused

I see many comments on MN about Trans threads, so I can take several guesses at why people might hide the Spartacus thread.
I've just seen Sanity's post sayimg that some people may find them upsetting, but people also comment that they're fed up of so many trans threads.

Rather than playing guessing games though, sure it would be easier if the people who have the thread hidden would just say why.

TanTanNubuck Mon 29-Aug-16 11:52:36

>surely

Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:53:03

ell I didn't realise I was getting into a guessing game when I asked that question

Because as a transwoman, it is incredibly upsetting to read some of the horrendous stuff written on there about us and then being told -politely- that it is not a debate thread but a support thread

Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 11:55:45

And personally, I am sure many people would not want to read / skip through loads of posts that they find incredibly upsetting just to find the response on there from MNHQ to the massive number of threads about the trans issue on here.

A simple thread started by MNHQ would I think be better - and probably start a new debate anyway

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 29-Aug-16 12:02:28

The only problem I see with MNQH posting in the support thread is that it might be full by the time they post.

No one will have to skip or read through loads of posts, NMHQ posts are linked at the top of the thread, so you can click right through.

ageingrunner Mon 29-Aug-16 12:02:47

Couldn't you just follow the 'mumsnet have commented on this thread' link, and be taken straight to their comment without having to skip through anything? confused

ageingrunner Mon 29-Aug-16 12:03:18

X post!

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 29-Aug-16 12:03:47

great minds!

paxillin Mon 29-Aug-16 12:06:00

I agree there should be a new thread if the response goes beyond the usual "bare with us, we want free speech, trying to strike a balance, won't be overnight". The thread should be started by HQ.

Ego147 Mon 29-Aug-16 12:08:07

Couldn't you just follow the 'mumsnet have commented on this thread' link, and be taken straight to their comment without having to skip through anything

Because it goes to their first comment

And secondly - that thread is a support thread. Surely MNHQ posting their views on trans issues is derailing.

Why don't you think a new thread started by MNHQ is a good idea - a fresh thread started by them - rather than derailing a support thread?

Surely you think everyone should be able to see what they say on a new thread?

ageingrunner Mon 29-Aug-16 12:09:56

I've not really thought about it, just didn't know whether you were aware of that function

BertrandRussell Mon 29-Aug-16 12:11:02

Is this another case of if you don't follow the orthodoxy I will call you "vile" (why is it always vile, by the way) and a transphobe and refuse to debate with you?

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Mon 29-Aug-16 12:12:30

Support thread was started because posters were supporting a banned poster, so MNHQ clarifying their position won't be a derail, to will be an answer, a logical conclusion of the thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now