Talk

Advanced search

Click bait on MN Facebook

(8 Posts)
nennyrainbow Mon 08-Aug-16 20:47:43

I am finding the click bait nature of some of the MN posts on FB quite irritating. A sentence ( not necessarily the OP's but always the most contentious sentence in the thread) is taken out of context and a vaguely connected photo added. Cue the FB crowd hurling bitchy comments aimed at the OP and getting on their judgemental high horses without having read even the OP's original ( usually innocently intended) question.

If I had posted on here and my comment had been picked up and used out of context in this way, I would be quite upset.

usual Mon 08-Aug-16 20:49:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Mon 08-Aug-16 20:52:30

Agree, I stopped following MN on FB because of this and post far less on MN nowadays, especially personal stuff.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 08-Aug-16 20:53:26

Facebook is cracking down on clickbait, so I guess this won't be a problem soon enough.

nennyrainbow Mon 08-Aug-16 21:10:28

The thing is, a lot of FB users don't bother to click on the link so I'm not sure how effective it is at getting extra traffic to MN. They just have their own little ranting / bitching site on FB.

About a month ago, someone posted a question about whether chocolate should be kept in or out of the fridge. The caption on FB was something like " The Big Question...." and the photo was of a horde of lots of different types of chocolate. Several people commented on what their favourite type of chocolate was I.e. they hadn't bothered to click on the link.

usual Mon 08-Aug-16 21:14:09

nennyrainbow Mon 08-Aug-16 21:28:03

I would think so, but the non-contentious example I gave above, shows that a proportion of people comment on FB without ever visiting MN.

I don't have an issue with MN having links to threads on FB - my issue is more about inaccurate portrayal of what the thread is about, designed to get people hot under the collar without actually finding out what the thread was really about.

usual Mon 08-Aug-16 21:44:31

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now