Talk

Advanced search

Can't look at site wihtout logging in

(9 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Cherryminx Tue 05-Jul-16 19:33:02

Is this a new thing? Sorry MN but that's the end of me and mumsnet. I don't understand a hundred percent but it feels to me like it will now be tracking every thread I look at.

sydneysideup Tue 05-Jul-16 22:30:55

Hi Cherrymix I had this yesterday and I thought exactly the same as you, no way do I want the faff of logging in each time or the idea of everything I read being tracked - but that was just while I was out and using public wifi. I came home, same iPad let me read as normal. What's going on MNHQ?

MrsPMT Wed 06-Jul-16 11:49:53

Am same, can't look at site without logging in (on chrome on laptop) mobile is fine. Often browse without logging in, only log in to post.
Is this on purpose MNHQ or a mistake?
Thanks

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Jul-16 16:24:52

Hi folks,

We've been testing log-ins, so think this is part of it - do bear with and we will check with tech. Sorry for annoyance.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 06-Jul-16 18:09:19

Right, so - this is something we're trialling at the moment. The test is currently only showing to a small proportion of users on talk. Thanks for bearing with us!

Cherryminx Tue 12-Jul-16 23:23:37

It is still showing to me. It is really annoying. How can you possibly think it is a good idea?

evrybuddy Thu 28-Jul-16 13:39:33

I'm another one getting this login pop-up.

I've had it on several different days with no discernible rationale from my perspective.

Really is annoying - but perhaps I'm over-sensitive - give it a go with everyone!

fascicle Wed 03-Aug-16 13:22:58

If all members were required to log in, would that make it harder, legally, for news sources to use posts as the basis for stories?

PollyPerky Wed 03-Aug-16 22:29:11

If all members were required to log in, would that make it harder, legally, for news sources to use posts as the basis for stories?

No of course not!

Journalists can be bona fide members of MN as well as trawling it in a journalism capacity.

MN allow newspapers to take threads and stories. If they didn't want this they would change their T&Cs or sue the papers for breach of copyright.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now