Talk

Advanced search

So if you know a poster is posting contradictory information...

(28 Posts)
Chippednailvarnishing Sun 19-Jun-16 21:08:26

And you know this because they have previously posted on another thread, what's the best thing to do?

In the last week or so there have been posters stating somewhat goady OPs which directly contradict what they have previously posted or they are being disingenuous. MNHQ have deleted a thread because of this. So are posters meant to ignore liars?

usual Sun 19-Jun-16 21:11:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HallowedMimic Sun 19-Jun-16 21:13:31

People do often change details to avoid being identified.

It doesn't matter really, does it?

We could be anyone.

TwentyCupsOfTea Sun 19-Jun-16 21:15:09

Don't forget lots of us change slight details to avoid identification.

However, if someone claims to be a 40yo single mum on one thread, and a childless ttv 25yo on another, I would report.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 19-Jun-16 23:00:44

usual

Call them out on the thread?

erm, please don't

Op, report, report, report - with links if you can find them and we can then take a look.

usual Sun 19-Jun-16 23:03:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hazeyjane Sun 19-Jun-16 23:05:16

If their name is User335678854 (or other random numbers) just check the numbers are the same - there are a lot of Userblablabla ATM, it is very confusing!

LunaLoveg00d Sun 19-Jun-16 23:06:35

I am sometimes inconsistent because I don't want to out myself by giving away personal information which could identify me. I might say "son" on a thread where I'm really talking about my daughter if the gender isn't relevant.

Not all inconsistencies are automatically trolling. I don't however frequently start goady posts to wind people up.

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Jun-16 23:07:18

So pointing out inconsistencies is against talk guidelines?

I'm pretty surprised by this. obviously know saying someone is a troll is out of order but I can't see why someone's posting history (which is easily searchable) isn't supposed to be referred to.

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 19-Jun-16 23:12:54

Purple I think you have summed up what I was trying to explain!

It's almost like a free licence for trolls to post 20 different threads all of which are completely different.
As for changing details for privacy reasons, the differences I'm talking about aren't small identifiers.

DixieNormas Sun 19-Jun-16 23:18:17

it's the ones who have been banned previously for posting almost identical threads that get me.

There's one that keeps coming back that a few of us have spotted as a pbp, then she posts an almost identical thread to last time and mnhq still say it's all above board.

I'm not convinced

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 19-Jun-16 23:20:18

Neither am I Dixie.

DixieNormas Sun 19-Jun-16 23:22:33

And I don't usually call bullshit on a thread but I'm sick of this one person being banned and coming back less than a month later, it's not the first time either and there threads can be pretty upsetting to people who don't realise it's probably all made up

Chippednailvarnishing Sun 19-Jun-16 23:24:43

And they are generally about child death, DV or abusive family relationships...

As soon as someone says they have NC, I also groan, as it's like a warning that there's an ever increasingly elaborate story to follow...

DixieNormas Sun 19-Jun-16 23:25:30

yep

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Jun-16 23:44:40

The one that sticks in my mind was a poster who was asking for advice about how to make a month's worth of meals from £15 while at the same time having a thread up about sending her children to private school and going to New York (if I remember correctly). I'm surprised asking her how she could afford the flights when she only had £15 on the cheap food thread would have been against talk guidelines.

DixieNormas Sun 19-Jun-16 23:47:36

Wasn't that the poster who was sharing her account with her sister apparently

DixieNormas Sun 19-Jun-16 23:49:02

I obviously spend way too much time on here!

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Jun-16 23:52:16

It was dixie (and I'm on here far too much too!). There may even have been three of them (allegedly).

Do you mean the current cheap meal planner thread Purple?

At the time of a big MRA invasion a while ago one poster was all over the place saying that "as a lady, I feel that these feminists have gone too far/I'm flattered to be whistled at/I like having doors held open". A quick AS revealed that a few months previously she'd been giving first hand advice on the best place to buy gents suits "speaking as a bloke". I virtuously reported and kept schtum, but only because I couldn't think of a sufficiently witty challenge at the time. Even MNHQ couldn't argue that there was an innocent explanation for that.

PurpleDaisies Mon 20-Jun-16 00:01:37

No this was a while ago aintnobody. I think both threads were deleted. The amusing explanation for the discrepancies between the threads stuck in my mind.

firesidechat Mon 20-Jun-16 08:46:12

So pointing out inconsistencies is against talk guidelines

Righto.

Everything is against talk guidelines these days usual.

firesidechat Mon 20-Jun-16 08:56:17

I'm pretty surprised by this. obviously know saying someone is a troll is out of order but I can't see why someone's posting history (which is easily searchable) isn't supposed to be referred to.

PurpleDaisies I had this deletion message from a thread lots of us were on last night and it surprised me too:

Yes, AS is there to be used but it is poor form to bring previous issues from one thread over onto another when the OP hasn't mentioned them.

I have been on here for years now and this is the first I've heard about it.

At a time when mn is overrun with user1111111 posts and trolls it seems that we are denied any tools in our arsenal to stop them.

Chippednailvarnishing Mon 20-Jun-16 10:02:08

Yes, AS is there to be used but it is poor form to bring previous issues from one thread over onto another when the OP hasn't mentioned them

Is the deletion message from one such thread. Almost makes you wonder why bother having a search facility.

PurpleDaisies Mon 20-Jun-16 10:05:11

I think it's a different matter bringing up stuff that's totally unrelated but if a poster has said one thing on one thread and is saying the opposite elsewhere I'm surprised that's frowned upon.

I didn't see the thread that was deleted-were the points from the other thread directly contradictory to what the poster was talking about?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now