Talk

Advanced search

Video adverts on mobile site...aaaarghhh

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MachiKoro Thu 16-Jun-16 20:02:20

Could you please do something about this? Maybe have no video ads? It's used up almost my entire data allowance for the month already, and were not half way yet! angry

VoyageOfDad Thu 16-Jun-16 20:09:09

That happens to me too. I thought a gigabyte a month would be fine as I just browse text based sites.

I regularly run out mid month now ( and pay a surcharge) and I'm pretty sure after doing some tests that it is the video ads on Mumsnet

Told MN about. some of their pages just suck all your date budget dry. Don't think they're interested.

MachiKoro Thu 16-Jun-16 22:02:50

It just makes it impossible for me to use during the day.

VoyageOfDad Fri 17-Jun-16 06:46:20

You could use an Ad Blocker to browse with. That should help. Bit of a pain though.

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 17-Jun-16 06:49:08

How do you set up an ad blocker on a mobile? That sounds ideal.

VoyageOfDad Fri 17-Jun-16 07:02:38

If you have an iPhone search for Ad Blocker on the Ap Store, it just functions as a browser and is free I think.

Other phones same sort of deal i guess. Search for the browser where ever you get aps.

I think using the TOR / Onion browser will block the videos because it doesn't use flash ( which i think is responsible or the videos ) but thats going via the dark web.

That said I read the other day that mumsnet was slower at loading pages than 79% of the internet !

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 17-Jun-16 18:40:02

Thank you!

Queenbean Fri 17-Jun-16 18:41:10

I agree with this, pain in the arse MNHQ

Thanks for the tip Voyage

shitchef Sat 18-Jun-16 21:30:39

Only 79%?!

MachiKoro Sat 18-Jun-16 21:57:37

Hahaha at me ever being able to use the dark web... I'm not even 100% sure I know how to get an app onto my phone blush

I need to ask a 12yo, right?

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 24-Jun-16 11:01:28

Hi MachiKoro,

So sorry you find this a PITA - if there are any specific ads that bother you, please do let us know. If you send over a screenshot, along with what device and browser you're using, we can always take a look.

BankWadger Sat 25-Jun-16 07:42:04

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2666691-Liar-liars-pants-on-fire

Thread I started (and had ignored) a few days ago about the exact same issue. It has pics of the reebok ad. Saw a new one today too, some guy on a moped.

AmyGMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 25-Jun-16 09:50:19

Morning BankWadger, thanks for flagging this one and apologies for missing it first time round.

Could you please let us know which device and browser you're using?

BankWadger Sat 25-Jun-16 14:27:12

Android
Samsung internet for android

BankWadger Wed 29-Jun-16 19:58:17

Reebok has been replaced by Hyundai

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Jun-16 19:36:16

Hi all,

Is this still an issue for anyone?

BankWadger Thu 30-Jun-16 21:57:57

Yes. There is a Scotrail ad playing at the bottom of this page as I type.

Wish I could find and ad blocker for my phone.

For what it's worth I have no issue with static advertising, but in a small screen moving images is very distracting and painful (as painful on eyes). And for people on a limited data allowance, data sapping.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Jun-16 22:08:00

Thanks Bank, we'll hand this over to the ads team and see if they can sort it.

Apologies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now