Reporting and anonymity

(6 Posts)
PurpleRainDiamondsandPearls Sun 05-Jun-16 15:55:55

We are advised that we should report instead of making active declarations (troll hunting) on threads but is it anonymous? Are MNHQ telling posters why they've been reported? It sits very uncomfortably with me. Posts that are genuine do get reported but if it's not dealt with sensitively, it can be very upsetting for that suspected person. I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

MrsSpecter Sun 05-Jun-16 15:59:06

Are you asking if MNHQ tell the reported poster who reported them? The answer is no, they Dont. If you are asking whether MNHQ know who reported a post then yes they do. But they dont ever share that with any MNers.

FuckingFattyBitch Sun 05-Jun-16 15:59:33

Reporting is anonymous. No one will know it's you. It cannot be linked back to your username. MNHQ will just say they have had reports but won't name the poster/'s that reported.
I can't comment about being reported and what is said about suspicions raised as I've never been reported.

PurpleRainDiamondsandPearls Sun 05-Jun-16 16:00:39

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am concerned that MN is telling the person who is reported why they were.

MrsSpecter Sun 05-Jun-16 16:02:41

They dont normally contact you when they delete your posts. Some people will contact HQ to ask why they have been deleted and HQ will usually say something vague about not in the spirit of the site etc.

thefamilyvonstrop Sun 05-Jun-16 16:06:19

Purple, I suspect they give a top line reason from what I've just read on another live thread. But I think that it's unlikely that on highly emotional threads, that there is ever only one reporter so I guess the reason given must be very general? My concern is how fast the group start calling out reporters of posts or threads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now