Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Automatically disallow name changes on the same thread?

(13 Posts)
nextusername Sun 15-May-16 19:24:38

Would it be possible for the site to automatically disallow name changes within a thread?

If you try to post under a different name on the same thread, there could be a message saying "Your message will be posted with username (enter name already used on thread), is that OK? Yes/Cancel".

AHellOfABird Sun 15-May-16 19:32:30

What would you be trying to achieve? MNHQ can already see name changes and some threads run for months when people have changed elsewhere (one poster used to put the month in her name so it was clearly "her" but less easy to do a mass search.

MrsHathaway Sun 15-May-16 19:33:19

I agree there should be a prompt - perhaps "You have already posted on this thread as MrsHathaway. Do you want to post as SockyMcSockFace now?"

Then if you said yes (and on some comedy threads that is par for the course) it would let you do it but flag it for MNHQ.

MrsHathaway Sun 15-May-16 19:35:25

Hell plenty of people including me cock up their name changes on sensitive threads. That's enough reason on its own, surely? MNHQ are prompt and kind to sort messes out if reported, but in the meantime everyone can link MrsHathaway with OuchMyArse on the supporating boils thread.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 15-May-16 19:38:16

I don't think this the solution but I think it's to stop sock puppet ting abird where the same op changes their name to agree with themselves,

nextusername Sun 15-May-16 20:14:36

Yes, it would be to automatically avoid sock puppeting and name change fails.

It could save MN work if they didn't have to deal with the reports, posters wouldn't have to report it, it might make things harder for trolls, and as MrsHathaway says it would prevent embarrassment on sensitive threads.

AHellOfABird Sun 15-May-16 20:52:32

MNHQ has said in the past that sockpuppetting is pretty rare (probably as most posters know it's easily detected!) vs normal trolling.

I would think it would slow the site down if the thread had to be scanned to see if ID12345 had posted already and then match up a data list to see which name ID12345 had already used and whether that was her current name. Vs people taking responsibility for themselves (and self reporting if they want a post withdrawn for the wrong name - MNHQ normally quite speedy on those IME)

00100001 Mon 16-May-16 10:54:25

It would be a paaaain.

Sometimes you want to change your name for comedy value! grin

A prompt wouldn't be a bad thing, and would have saved me a couple of past NC fails events, but I don't know whether it would be worth the extra work and processing time for MNHQ.

I end up "sock puppeting" quite often. I have a very identifiable NN at the moment. So on an education thread I might start by posting "The latest research from the XYZ research institute seems to show that wearing school coats is correlated with success, but I'm not sure" and that's fine under this name. But then as the thread develops I realise I want to post "Oh god, I agree completely - when my DS was that age his complete cow of a head teacher confiscated his coat and I've never forgiven her and actually I keyed her car". For that, I'd want to use a burner name.

Or on a What's your favourite movie? thread I might post Labyrinth under this name and then change to EllenRipley (not my actual NN sad) to extol the virtues of the mighty Aliens.

Legitimate uses, IMO but in no way hindered by a "do you want to post under this name or the previous one you've used on this thread" pop up.

What I really want is a "You've already posted that comment" warning to stop double posting.

KatherineMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 17-May-16 13:56:23

Hallo all,

Thanks for your thoughts. We'll have a wee chat, and get back to you on this.

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 17-May-16 16:18:25

A prompt would be great. But not a ban. Comedy and also very sensitive information. I might post, for example, on a thread about sexual assault. I might make points as 'me' but only want to post identifying or very personal information as another name. I think that should be allowed.

paxillin Tue 17-May-16 16:34:35

I have sockpuppeted before, and self-reported with the reason.

I agree with AintNobodyHereButUsKittens. It could be a sensitive thread, you give general advice and as it moves on, realise you could add something really useful, but would out yourself. So different name might help.

nextusername Wed 18-May-16 10:06:22

Thanks Katherine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now