Talk

Advanced search

Zombie threads, again [baffled] - post them here

(74 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 21:28:22

Any time I see an ancient thread bumped I'm going to link it on this thread, to make the point that locking threads, or having a zombie at the top should be higher up Tech's "to do" list.

I mean, wtf's the point of this one:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1085686-to-hate-it-when-people-who-cant-or-wont-drive-talk-about-lift-shares

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-May-16 21:30:41

Well said. A six year old thread bumped by just a word 'exactly'. WTAF is the point of that?

MooPointCowsOpinion Sun 01-May-16 21:33:25

It would be easy to close the comment box and make someone press an 'open zombie thread' before they're allowed to post!

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 21:34:33

I keep seeing them <grumpy>

And I don't want to post ZOMBIE on them because that bumps them even more.

PortiaCastis Sun 01-May-16 21:35:55

Strange !

Sparklingbrook Sun 01-May-16 21:36:07

It sorts out those that RTFT from those that don't. grin

PortiaCastis Sun 01-May-16 21:38:02

Thats true Sparkling mind you I've just read a full thread about housing and I'm shocked

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 01-May-16 21:38:19

There was one this afternoon I spent a not inconsiderable time reading, a heart-wrenching tale of a poster being wxcluded from her sister's wedding party when her oter sisters were bms and her brother the groom.
Luckily I flipped the thread when I got halfway, only to realise it was from 2012.

springtimevintagedream Sun 01-May-16 21:39:17

Do you know what though, I nearly did this before totally by accident. I was reading an old thread, got engrossed, went to make some food, came back and nearly posted a heated reply!

I realised just in time! grin

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 21:39:20

Yes Moo.

And have a zombie at the top to stop me people RTwholeFT before they realise it's a decade old [sigh]

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sun 01-May-16 21:40:12

Ive read bloody loads of zombie threads today! www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2278862-AIBU-for-kicking-my-husband-out

AnnieOnnieMouse Sun 01-May-16 21:40:28

They seem to keep cropping up on FB
I agree, a Zombie alert at the top of each page, or something, would be more useful than the current notification at the end.

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 21:41:09

x-post Sparkling grin

Thing is, I find myself RTFT and not realising it's a zombie until the last couple of posts, which is really annoying.

springtime, I'm sure it's almost always newbies or an accident, but they could stop it.

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sun 01-May-16 21:41:45

There was one from about 2012 bumped earlier (I forget which one now) with the scintillating post 'exactly' and another with with long, heart felt advice from 2010 (I think) THE OP HAS MOVED ON, YOU SHOULD TOO!

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 21:41:58

Shotgun, I saw that one earlier - that's what made me think ffs when I saw the latest one.

RNBrie Sun 01-May-16 21:47:47

There was one earlier from 2012 about not being able to afford a conservatory due to a badly worded invoice... I would really like to know what happened to the OP in that one! <totally overinvested>

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sun 01-May-16 21:48:02

Flippin eck, found another.

PortiaCastis Sun 01-May-16 21:49:38

I found the cat

SauvignonBlanche Sun 01-May-16 21:51:07

Here's one www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1441586-To-be-annoyed-at-being.
They're so annoying!

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 21:53:27

grin

I love it when other people are irritated by things that irritate me.

Brie, the op of that one is still around I was tempted to pm her

Seeyounearertime Sun 01-May-16 21:54:21

Is there a reason why they don't get locked?
Like on AIBU or what have you, as soon as noones posted in it for 5 days it auto locks and noone can post in it again, ever.
Or just remove them all after 60days.

usual Sun 01-May-16 21:56:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 22:00:11

That is a fantastic idea, Seeyou, especially for aibu. Unfortunately, mnhq don't agree.

Apparently once upon a time there was a thread that was updated annually by the op and was kept going for years. It gets mentioned on all these threads as a reason for leaving threads open forever hmm

I've suggested locking all threads after, say 6 months or a lot less and then the op of the thread could email mnhq to have it opened if they want to. Or could even post just before the six months is up if they were that dedicated.

usual Sun 01-May-16 22:00:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Maryz Sun 01-May-16 22:03:12

There doesn't seem to be a pattern of topics, though confused. I mean, most of them weren't very interesting in the first place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now