Talk

Advanced search

Trending (again, again)

(5 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Maryz Fri 22-Apr-16 22:49:14

I just want to point out that my thread has been in trending all night.

Now it's a boring thread; no-one is interested, even the Irish people. And I was totally unreasonable and wrong in the first place.

But because it got into trending probably because I bumped it a couple of times at the start it stayed there, all night.

It's ridiculous. It's not interesting, popular, current, relevant, trendy, why is it there? Oh yes, because people are clicking on it (and discovering how truly uninteresting, irrelevant, outdated, wrong and untrendy it is)

[sigh]

figginz Fri 22-Apr-16 22:59:37

I thought it was interesting Maryz because I didn't know water was free in Ireland. blush

Not sure I really understand what trending is.

So in conclusion, not a very helpful or constructive comment from me then!

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 23-Apr-16 11:49:35

Hi Maryz,

Last night was pretty short on trolls and troublemakers - most unusual for a Friday night - so that may have been the reason that your thread was such an unexpected hit. wink

We've hit the magic button now to exclude it from the Trending block, so it should now fade into obscurity. We're usually happy to do this if we're asked, by the way.

AuntieStella Sat 23-Apr-16 12:00:44

I clicked on your thread, because I thought 'Census, what census? Have I totally missed something important?'

And I suspect I wasn't the only one who did that.

Maryz Sat 23-Apr-16 12:50:02

Exactly Stella.

My point wasn't that it was a hit: it wasn't a hit, that's the point. Loads of people like Stella clicked on it thinking there was a census in the UK, realised there wasn't and clicked away.

So it was a typical example of a trending thread these days - one that everyone thinks is going to be interesting but isn't.

Whereas if you went back to the old way of selecting threads by how many people post on them (rather than just look on them) you would get much more interesting threads in Trending.

<bangs drum>

<fails to see why this isn't obvious to everyone [baffled]>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now