Talk

Advanced search

My customise options don't let me hide the social media buttons

(45 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 09:48:33

Like most people (as far as I can tell), I hate the social media buttons at the bottom of each thread. I used to have them hidden but my Customise options seem to have shrunk right down and I don't have the choice anymore. How can I make them go away??

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 10:13:13

Have you set up a new account, recently? (Eg after Jeffreygate.) it seemed at that time that 'some' new accounts might have been given a much reduced set of options on Customise whereas older accounts might have been 'grandfathered in' on the original Customise.

Any chance of a screenshot of your Customise page?

I'm real interested to know about this one. smile

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 10:32:42

Yes, cosie, I did a panicky flounce as I was worried about outing. Now re-regged with lesson learned about over sharing. And, yes, my Customise options are far fewer hmm. Will see if I can screenshot.

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 10:34:03

That's my Customise page.

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 10:48:30

Ah - that looks like a mobile version of the 'small' Customise I've seen before. (Which has no options, as an example, to 'colour code' posts for ease of reference if I recall.) You should get the same reduced options - albeit in a different format - if you were to sign in on the main site.

Unless MNHQ decide to allow people to 'acquire' the old style customise or introduce new options for critical functions, I don't know what you can do. I would welcome a view from MNHQ on this, though.

(Although they've steadfastly refused to address directly the issue in the past. wink)

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 10:56:20

Thanks. I seriously hate the social media buttons and not being able to hide them makes me apprehensive about continuing to use the site. For example, I've posted for support when miscarrying in the past - imagine if the screen seized up and I accidentally hit the Twitter button and broadcast a sensitive thread like that to my friends and family??

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 11:06:29

There are a considerable number of users who have reservations in particular about both any omnipresence of social media buttons and an inability to colour code certain posts. MN acknowledged the strong feelings in previous times but this feels like a 'command decision' on which users have not been consulted.

As far as I'm aware, MNHQ have, so far, not commented on any plans to introduce this to all users - which they could, presumably, do overnight?

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 14:12:42

Do you have any access to the main site to check, AllThings?

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 14:14:31

Yes, it's exactly the same on the desktop site.

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 19:20:49

Thanks, AllThings.

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 19:27:16

Sorry - I forgot to clarify. You have no colour options for posts? What colour are your own and the OP's posts on the desktop site?

Maryz Fri 22-Apr-16 19:29:59

See SEE SEE this is why I won't go into customise any more.

This is why my TIW is no longer usable as it has all my TIO in it (why on earth would I want to watch a thread if I'm on it ffs?).

They are trying to get me off Classic. But I Won't Budge. I WON'T. I WON'T

<disclaimer: I might be taking this a tad seriously>

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 19:38:48

You know my views on the demise of Classic, Maryz. grin (Although it's lasted longer than I thought it would.)

Why don't you trade with HQ? You'll move to New if you get Big Customise. wink

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 19:57:10

OP posts are grey and mine are pink. Funnily enough, I HAVE got the option to not have TIO in TIW, Maryz. I'd happily trade this privilege to get rid of the bastard social media buttons. I kind of feel MN hope we accidentally share threads on FB or similar for the publicity, regardless of potential embarrassment or harm caused as a result angry. I know you have to click to confirm but I can't be the only idiot to get flustered and blindly hit my phone screen in a panic when it does something unexpected?

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 20:27:21

I guess people don't realise that they could come back to MN one morning, and overnight it's all been changed by flicking a switch?

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 20:27:49

More or less, that is. wink

Maryz Fri 22-Apr-16 20:59:52

So would I Nautical.

In fact I would give up my beloved Classic [generous] for one single New that included all the options people actually want - different colours for op and own posts, hiding of social media buttons and the dangly moving whatsit bar thingy [technical term]

So yes, cozie, I would change if (and only if) I knew for sure they wouldnt' take more from me.

But after the font fiasco, and the fact that I'm still having trouble reading despite using mn on 125% (and thus not being able to use it properly on my ipad and turning down my screen brightness, I don't trust them to do anything properly.

Sorry, Nautical, for derailings somewhat [grumpy]

Maryz Fri 22-Apr-16 21:01:46

And fwiw, the social media buttons were the one thing I would definitely flounce over.

Before I could hide them, I couldn't use the site, because all my children use the family computer, the laptop and my ipad, and all access FB. My fear was that one of them wouldn't log out properly and I would link my MN threads to their FB pages [shock,horror]

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 22-Apr-16 21:08:08

If you are going to complain, could you please have a massive RANT about not being able to have 1000 posts on a page please? This is the one thing I had to give up after Jeffrey-Gate which has me foaming at the mouth.

Maryz Fri 22-Apr-16 21:19:00

Oooh, I forgot about that shock

I couldn't cope with pages. I think half the problem with people not RTFT is due to pages - when it's all on one page you can scroll down and see all the op's posts.

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 21:30:58

My grievance is entirely social media button based. There are other things I might be less keen on but I can accept them. I don't mind about post colour or pages particularly because they don't have the same potential consequences. It feels like a cynical decision based on getting publicity at all costs and it really unsettles me. Mind you, this should teach me that if I flounce, I should bloody well stay flounced! I didn't even manage a fortnight away from here!

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 21:32:34

Also, do HQ read Site Stuff or do I need to report this thread to get a response?

Maryz Fri 22-Apr-16 21:34:30

No, they read it and post calming inanities

And I agree absolutely about the social media buttons. I posted for a fortnight as IAmReallyReallyPissedOff before they gave us the option of hiding them the first time.

AllThingsNautical Fri 22-Apr-16 21:36:53

I think I was posting alongside you in solidarity! I was really, really cross about it.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 22-Apr-16 21:37:41

Can anyone spell out to me what is the problem with the social media buttons?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now