Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 books that will make you feel like an inadequate failure...

(12 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

juggler4 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:12:40

Really not impressed with your link to "Books to improve every aspect of your life" today.
I hope that you will also be promoting the following books: "You're doing a great job busy stressed-out Mum" "Your kids are wonderful" and "It's ok if your house is messy"
Stop undermining women's confidence in themselves and their abilities to run a home, cook meals and raise kids. Would be nice to get some support for a change...

twirlypoo Wed 20-Apr-16 20:19:17

Can you link? I actually quite like books like that blush I like to pour over them in the hopes they will revolutionise my life!

AdrenalineFudge Wed 20-Apr-16 20:48:53

Do you mean these:

www.mumsnet.com/books/5-books-that-will-change-your-life

If so I disagree with you. It says some Mnetters have recommeded these books. Of course you are fully entitled to dislike them but if a list of 5 fairly innocuous books can really make someone feel like an inadequate failure then I'd question how they managed in day-to-day life tbh.

juggler4 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:59:31

It's not a personal thing, I just get fed-up of the general trend of promoting the idea that there is such a thing as perfect parenting/housekeeping/work-life balance that is totally unrealistic and impossible to achieve, and leaves women feeling that they are inadequate.

usual Wed 20-Apr-16 21:03:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pitterpatterrain Wed 20-Apr-16 21:06:34

Maybe I'll read them during my next maternity leave wink

PacificDogwod Wed 20-Apr-16 21:08:12

I'm with you too, OP. In principle.

In practice, MN have a business to run and will sell advertising space to face creams (see Vichy above - or is that just me and my haggard appearance is being targeted grin) and other things that feed our insecurity.

And people just love an easy 'solution': tidy your house and your life will change. Slim and be happier. Do Baby-led weaning and your child will be the next Einstein.

We love an easy answer grin

TheMasterMurderedMargarita Wed 20-Apr-16 21:09:10

Yup.
I'm a sucker though. I get drawn in thinking I might pick up a few handy hints then end up feeling shit cos I don't keep up with whatever 'the book' says.
(Remembering Jo Frost's baby book in particular).
So proving your point really grin.

VikingVolva Wed 20-Apr-16 21:10:26

It's the 'every' bit of "every aspect of your life" that's problematic, as the topics chosen cover only parenting, dieting and decluttering.

Too limited, but far.

Now I know it's probably meant to have a bit of hyperbole, but I think if you're going with 'every' then there should be at least one non-domestic choice.

Sadik Wed 20-Apr-16 21:27:53

"How to talk . . ." and "Get out of my Life . . ." won't make you feel like a failure, though, OP, they're genuinely useful books that don't aspire to make you perfect, just to help you communicate a bit better with your DC and understand why teens behave the way they do.
The Anger book also looks potentially useful, and Marie Kondo is so ubiquitous that you'd have had to try really quite hard to avoid her.
In fact the only one I'd be a bit hmm about is the diet one, on the grounds that diets are generally a bad idea.

juggler4 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:38:30

The 'clickbait' link to the page that came in my email said: "Books to improve every aspect of your life" as in.... every aspect of your life needs to be improved cos you're a bit rubbish at everything really.... and that's why you're unhappy. Now just read these books and everything will be pink and rosy and perfect...

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 20-Apr-16 22:57:05

Hi there Juggler4. We're really sorry to hear this came across in that way. There's nothing pink and rosy and perfect about most Mumsnetters' lives at all (just ask my toddler). The books were recommended by other Mumsnetters and it was just meant to be a lighthearted, positive thing really, but we do appreciate that on a bad day, anyone normal might want to hurl them through the nearest plate glass!

Out of interest, have you read any books you'd recommend to make us all feel less guilty for being not-quite-perfect? We could start an alternative list here if anyone else has any suggestions.

On a personal note, I have to say Marie Kondo HAS changed my life for the better - she basically tells you to bin anything that doesn't bring you joy. Shame the household paperwork folder and lawnmower didn't fit in the bin liner, but I have mentally taken them to the tip and feel more free for it! So I'm standing by that choice at least.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now