Can I ask what has happened to a couple of suggestions that have been discussed recently?

(40 Posts)
Maryz Sun 21-Feb-16 20:54:09

One was the suggestion, made repeatedly, that if there are X number of individual reports on a thread it should be locked and hidden until a member of mnhq can have a look.

Say 50 reports in a hour, or 100 reports in two hours, that type of thing.

The second one was the discussion about have a non-name-changing section. We know it's possible, because it's done on MN local, so have you thought further about it?

The first would prevent overnight nastiness, and the second would make mn a much more pleasant place for many of us.

magimedi Sun 21-Feb-16 23:00:16

Totally agree.

Or get staff in overnight & at weekends.

And a non name changing place would be just lovely.

phequer Mon 22-Feb-16 11:50:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nottodaythankyouorever Mon 22-Feb-16 11:51:07

Agreed

Maryz Mon 22-Feb-16 11:56:50

And another one.

What happened to making sure deleted threads stayed on watch lists, to stop all the placemarking?

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Feb-16 12:01:05

Can I also ask again for the zombie warning to stay for longer and also be at the top and bottom of the thread?

I agree with yours Maryz. My only reservation would be could somebody get a thread locked to be spiteful by sending 50 reports one after the other especially overnight?

DonkeyOaty Mon 22-Feb-16 12:08:17

Whilst we're asking for the moon on a stick let's throw my plea for a Christmas AIBU topic in the mix smile

<legs it>

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Feb-16 12:09:48

Talking of moon on a stick, I want 'Trending' to be personalised and for my hidden topic threads to not show on it for me.

tribpot Mon 22-Feb-16 12:11:41

Sparkling - agreed, that's why I think Maryz is right to be suggesting it needs to be 50 individual reports, i.e. from different users. Yes you could still block a poster by creating multiple accounts but it's a lot more work than just pressing the Report button repeatedly.

I'd like to see Zombie threads locked rather than just a warning.

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Feb-16 12:16:12

Ah yes sorry blush she even italliced it and everything. <polishes eyeballs>

handslikecowstits Mon 22-Feb-16 12:43:22

I'd like to ask why sometimes threads take so long to be zapped. I reported one over two hours ago and it's still there and I've received no word from HQ that they're looking into it. This kind of thing happens a lot, I've found. I understand that they're busy but I've been led to believe that the reporting staff are a dedicated team regarding spam, trolls, reports. That's their only area of work. I also understand that it can take time to investigate a poster but they seem highly erratic.

Perhaps they're understaffed? Certainly from the events of Saturday night/Sunday morning, it appears so.

Maryz Mon 22-Feb-16 13:00:19

Let's not ask for a moon on a stick. They might just give us that and ignore the much more important things on this thread [sigh]

yy to Zombie warning lasting longer, and being at the top as well as at the bottom of the thread to stop me reading 500+ three year old posts before getting to the eejit who's posted on the thread--

I agree with you HLCT (I can't call you cowstits grin) - I think they need more automation of reporting. So there should be some way of prioritising how they look at reports, depending on how many individual (from different people, Sparks wink) reports they get on a thread.

It would also encourage reporting if we all knew that More Reports = Quicker Reaction. atm, lots of people don't bother reporting if it's obvious that it's already been reported.

Sparklingbrook Mon 22-Feb-16 13:15:05

New emoticon

PolterGoose Mon 22-Feb-16 15:17:25

I agree with all of you.

Maryz Mon 22-Feb-16 16:06:21

And now the thread that inspired this has been deleted confused

You know, the one about placemarking.

I mean, we have no choice but to placemark if threads don't stay on TIW [sigh]

myname2016 Mon 22-Feb-16 20:10:29

And board for donor conceived children, perhaps? smile

IPityThePontipines Tue 23-Feb-16 03:14:19

I was just coming over here to politely ask about night time moderation, as I strongly suspect that the site is increasingly busy around the clock, so it would make sense to have the same level of moderation 24/7.

Glad to see I'm not alone.

Maryz Tue 23-Feb-16 07:44:24

Oh yes, I've seen people asking for that before myname. And I think we asked for a 90 day Adoption Chat topic as well.

They should, of course, have someone on duty at night, IPity. But since they won't, I thought that automatic report counting coupled with thread locking/hiding (or temporary suspension of posting rights in the case of a spammer or obvious troll) could be a viable alternative.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Feb-16 09:33:39

Hello Maryz and all,

We are talking about all of this at the moment. We have pencilled in a day for the lovely Tech people to come and work with The community team to see, firsthand, how we work and what tech things <technical> would benefit us.

The 50 - 100 reports and auto-delete thing, we probably won't shout about it if and when it happens as we really don't want it to be abused. We also need to think about the other reasons for high volumes of reports such as someone in need of help, a suicidal poster or someone in a vulnerable position. If we implemented an auto delete, it wouldn't account for circumstance.
We could scope out the idea of different reasons for reporting and have a night time thread removal button perhaps?

We haven't forgotten about these suggestions, but whatever is decided, it will take a bit of time to get it all set up and sorted.

tribpot Tue 23-Feb-16 09:59:28

But given the light-to-non-existent moderation at night, what would multiple reports of a suicidal poster achieve anyway? If a certain volume of reports would trigger an on call person to wake up and have a look, great. I thought MN had a policy of deleting suicidal posts in any case?

SpidersFromMars Tue 23-Feb-16 10:04:59

RebeccaMumsnet, is it helpful to you, or just clogging up your inbox, when we report a thread we know has already been reported?

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Feb-16 10:07:32

Good question Spiders if someone has already said 'reported' on a thread is it worth it.

BUT is typing 'reported' on a thread classed as trollhunting. I never say on a thread I have reported it.

BathshebaDarkstone Tue 23-Feb-16 10:07:33

I agree to all of these. Is the zombie warning on the mobile site. Ive never seen it.

AlpacaLypse Tue 23-Feb-16 10:14:35

Re the idea of locking 'zombie' threads, please don't. I have one in The Dog House, which is there so I can direct people who are thinking about starting up a dog walking business as I had loads asking - especially when the recession was at its height. It's currently Zombie, as neither I nor any of the half dozen other pro dogwalkers on MN who contributed have added anything new recently, but I'd like to be able to add new information should there be changes in the law etc.

Sparklingbrook Tue 23-Feb-16 10:16:06

Maybe as a one off if alerted MNHQ could make exceptions Alpaca? Most Zombie threads aren't like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now