Talk

Advanced search

Can you work some magic so that mentioning a MNer's name lets her know she is being called to that thread?

(58 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CoteDAzur Sun 31-Jan-16 23:03:50

... like on Facebook?

When a MNer's full name is written in a thread in a specific way, an automatic message can go to their MN Inbox or directly to their email when a MNer's full name is written in a thread in a specific way.

It would be very useful if someone sees a Relationship issue that AnyFucker would give great advice for, or a breastfeeding thread in Chat where tiktok was needed, for example. I would like to call Remus's attention to a thread where someone is talking about a non-fiction book about mountain climbing.

What do you think?

capsium Sun 31-Jan-16 23:10:58

Advance search for a thread the particular poster is on and message the poster?

...you can do this now, as things stand.

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Feb-16 07:23:48

It would depend whether the person mentioned would wish to be summoned I suppose. But a PM would do the job as capsium says.

NationMcKinley Mon 01-Feb-16 07:25:15

And pigletjohn def need a klaxon for him

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Feb-16 07:27:46

Doesn't he hang about in certain topics?

FlippertyJibbit Mon 01-Feb-16 07:38:24

I think Cote might mean more like a "tagging" function. I think it's a good idea, but like others say maybe people don't want to continuously be "tagged".

Maybe an opt-in/out option in our settings?

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Feb-16 09:24:11

Yes, I am aware of the PM link but I don't think people PM each other for this sort of thing. There is lots of "I'm sure someone knowledgeable will come along shortly" on various threads, but no "I just PM'd pigletjohn. He'll be here soon."

There are quite a few threads asking if there are any GPs or dentists around, for example. It would be useful to be able to name/tag one in reply to one of those.

magimedi Mon 01-Feb-16 09:31:08

It would have to be an opt in or out setting.

I'm no expert but would hate to be called all the time if I was.

Cote - I'd love to know about the mountain climbing book as well - I love reading about climbing.

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Feb-16 09:33:18

I wouldn't like it but I am no expert either. If it was opt in or out I guess it's not a problem, if you got sick of it you could opt out.

I would imagine Tech would say it would be v complicated and costly.

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Feb-16 09:35:38

I'll keep that in mind, magi. Meanwhile, come over to the 50-Book Challenge threads where quite a few of us read & share non-fiction books about mountain climbing, exploration, etc.

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Feb-16 09:36:20

"Tech would say it would be v complicated and costly"

Don't ask, don't get smile

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Feb-16 09:39:47

We have asked for lots of things. Didn't get them.

GiddyOnZackHunt Mon 01-Feb-16 09:51:08

Just wondering how that might play out in some situations. If someone starts a troll thread in say relationships and someone credulous tags AnyFucker but AF and others think it's dubious then AF's actions (posting or not posting) would be taken as a decision (not troll or troll) which seems to put the tagged poster in a tricky position. Particularly if they are about and posting.

magimedi Mon 01-Feb-16 09:51:15

Cote - I started on the 50 book challenge at the start of Jan - but I've been away & it moves so berluddy fast, I can't keep up!!

Not a criticism of it - it's great for recommendations.

OttiliaVonBCup Mon 01-Feb-16 09:55:13

The MN equivalent of burning ears?

I think it's useful.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 01-Feb-16 09:57:54

I'm not sure its a good idea either.

I would suspect that people who have some form of expertise would like to choose when they offer their help, rather than being "summoned".

If they are " summoned " then they become obliged to help, or look mean-spirited, as they can't have just not seen the thread.

OttiliaVonBCup Mon 01-Feb-16 10:00:15

That's true too.

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Feb-16 10:02:24

I don't think we can assume that people have internet access all the time and expect them to show up. They might be working hard, on a holiday etc. It doesn't mean they are mean-spirited.

This is just to let people know that their name is mentioned on a thread.

SoupDragon Mon 01-Feb-16 10:02:36

Ravelry has this.

It's bloody annoying.

You can guarantee it would be overused with self important people thinking they've said something the "ear burnt" person absolutely must read.

SoupDragon Mon 01-Feb-16 10:06:18

Personally I think that if something is so important that a particular person needs to see it, you should PM them. If you can't be arsed to PM them, it clearly isn't important.

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Feb-16 10:07:17

I would agree with that Soup.

CoteDAzur Mon 01-Feb-16 10:10:46

But MN is a public forum where people talk in groups. Are you saying we should all just PM each other? confused

I guess all these people could just PM pigletjohn rather than starting threads, but they clearly didn't want to. Is that a problem?

MrsJayy Mon 01-Feb-16 10:13:16

Mumsnet is a chat site nobody is an expert on anything and they should not be tagged or called to a thread it would feel that they were obligated a pm or a name in thread title is fine

Sparklingbrook Mon 01-Feb-16 10:13:30

PigletJohn is not an emergency service, nor is any other poster on MN. A PM would mean they would get to the thread a bit sooner maybe. The fact the people presumably didn't PM him meant they could wait a bit for an answer?

MrsJayy Mon 01-Feb-16 10:14:57

What I meant by expert is they should not be working on mumsnet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now