Sarky deletion messages

(43 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 09:26:27

Hello

I hope you don't mind me saying this. It may be a crappy job dealing with reports and so on especially when it's the night shift, (though actually I quite like the sound of it myself, being self-important and nosy) grin

But I've noticed a couple of deletion messages that seem a bit, well, sarcastic, lately - I don't mind the humour in them at all but it feels almost like whoever is writing them, isn't really up for the job, doesn't like us - there's no sense of 'come on, chaps, behave' or the simple 'AHEM' we have grown to love.

It reminds me of being at school and there are teachers who like you, and teachers who just don't want to be there...and it makes me a bit sad.

There's another forum I frequent where the mods can bitter old sods, and people get pretty resentful about it, pretty quickly.

I'd hate for MN to turn that way. we're all on (roughly) the same side, aren't we, after all?

brew

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 24-Jan-16 15:01:55

Hi Pipistrella - sorry that you're feeling this way sad

Do you have any links to examples we can take a look at?
We'd love to work on this - thanks for posting about it.

hesterton Sun 24-Jan-16 15:04:50

I thought the dry sarky response to the declaration that we should only keep male babies was funny, wry and just right as far as tone was concerned.

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 16:51:24

Thank you for the reply Becca and don't feel sad, it was just a comment as normally the deletion messages are funny or just sensible iykwim?

This one seemed a bit - well, off.

I was kind of hoping whoever wrote it wasn't actually miserable and that it was just an attempt at humour that misfired.

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 16:52:18

I didn't see your one, Hesterton. I imagine it was spot on as usual. I think a lot of thought generally goes into them.

steppemum Sun 24-Jan-16 16:54:31

I love them.

The one you linked to made me laugh.

Dry sarcastic humour is why I like mn

poorbuthappy Sun 24-Jan-16 17:04:11

Damn the app and the inability to see deletion messages.

Waltermittythesequel Sun 24-Jan-16 17:08:38

I've never had a problem with the deletion messages.

If they become all sweetness and light, I'll have a problem! wink

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:09:45

YABU!

I love the comments.

PitilessYank Sun 24-Jan-16 17:15:47

Please keep the sarcastic deletion messages. I live in the earnest Midwestern USA and am starving for dry wit on a daily basis!!

TeaPleaseLouise Sun 24-Jan-16 17:17:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 24-Jan-16 17:21:00

OP - I don't think that deletion mesage you posted was off. Why do you think it was?

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 17:34:07

Oh it's probably just perception isn't it? I thought it sounded a bit Delia Smith smile

disapproving iyswim

I'm sure I just read it wrong. Mostly I love them.

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 17:36:04

I mean - to me, it sounded patronising and very much 'us and them'.

VagueIdeas Sun 24-Jan-16 17:37:37

I think it's great that some deletion messages are sarky. Why not treat the threads with the contempt they deserve?

cruikshank Sun 24-Jan-16 17:40:07

I agree that it sounded a bit 'us and them' - like there was some kind of club the understood what was behind the message; a sort-of injoke if you like which also implies consensus between the mods and the rest of the people on the site who 'get it'.

Just from the message alone, I haven't got the foggiest what the thread was about, or what the reason for deleting it actually was - clearly am not in the club.

cruikshank Sun 24-Jan-16 17:41:47

poorbuthappy this is the message:

Thread deleted
Message from MNHQ: Surprise, surprise. It didn't take all that long for this thread to turn sour.

We thought we'd save ourselves the trouble of all the inevitable reports about it and nip it in the bud.

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 17:46:24

I do think contempt should be avoided when the person who started the thread had no ill intent.

Maryz Sun 24-Jan-16 17:49:05

But you must have seen the title of the thread - "what unpopular views do you hold" - it was inevitably going to go tits up.

So anticipating the bunfight saved a lot of time and effort.

Maryz Sun 24-Jan-16 17:50:08

And the contempt (if there was any, it doesn't seem contemptuous to me, more sort of "oh dear, here we go again") would have been aimed at the responders, not the op, I would have thought.

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 17:52:43

Fwiw it was the thread about unpopular opinions. It seemed to have been started in good humour. I have been here 8 years and have to admit I was a bit surprised when it got as nasty as it did. So to me the 'surprise' thing was unwarranted.

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 17:53:36

Sorry Maryz, crossed posts there. I'm sure I've seen similar threads in the past that went on a lot longer and got a lot less bad.

Maryz Sun 24-Jan-16 17:59:09

It's the aibu attitude leaking all over the site, isn't it? No-one can have a lighthearted thread, or a soh any more, without a couple of gobshites arriving to piss on everyone's chips [mutter, grumble]

Pipistrella Sun 24-Jan-16 18:00:35

<passes Mary a spare 'Kill Aibu' banner that was just lying around>

<holds one up too>

slithytove Sun 24-Jan-16 18:03:21

It's only us and them in the sense that it was clear to those who were on the thread that the same as always happens. And through the whole thread posters were saying that it wouldn't end well.

Are deletion messages supposed to make sense to those who weren't on the thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now