Talk

Advanced search

Watching MN Boards - not threads

(4 Posts)
cozietoesie Fri 15-Jan-16 23:49:30

I'm wondering whether there would be any merit in having the facility to watch boards on MN - so that you could be alerted by email if a new thread was posted in the same way that you can be notified if there's a new post on a watched thread.

I was thinking that there are many (generally subject-specific) boards where traffic is very very slow, mainly because people might not think to visit there often, and posters, particularly newer posters, might be discouraged if they took the time to write a long post and then had it linger......and linger......and linger......without response. I've seen many times on eg AIBU, people posting 'for traffic' when really they would be better off posting on a subject-specific board. (And they often know that themselves as well but just want some response in a reasonable timeframe.)

I haven't thought this through fully, though, so would welcome thoughts. I don't even know if it's technically feasible - or easy.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Fri 15-Jan-16 23:57:30

The downside of that would be that there are certain posters who have strong views on LGBT, religion, abortion, feminism, breast feeding etc, they could use that facility to make it easier to comment on every single topic posted on certain topics very quickly, and often the first post or 2 sets the tone for the whole thread.

It is a good idea but in my opinion it's too open for abuse.

cozietoesie Sat 16-Jan-16 00:07:57

That's a fair point - but don't you think they'd haunt any relevant boards in any case?

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Sat 16-Jan-16 00:12:13

They do would anyway, you are right. Maybe getting an email notification would make them act faster though?

It is a good idea and may well stop the 'posting for traffic' posts.

If it happens I wonder how many people would use it for AIBU grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now