Targeted ads - Can MN reassure us you'd never use an algorithm to read our posts and target ads?

(17 Posts)
Egosumquisum Fri 15-Jan-16 12:07:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GraysAnalogy Fri 15-Jan-16 12:09:02

I'm not sure why they'd do this when the adverts are already tailored to what websites we've been to / searches we've made

Egosumquisum Fri 15-Jan-16 12:31:28

GraysAnalogy Fri 15-Jan-16 12:33:05

Yeah I've started getting pet insurance and contact lense ones since I searched for them last week.

Lancelottie Fri 15-Jan-16 12:34:51

I'm not sure what I've been posting to get a combination of ads for magic sets and soup hmm

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 15-Jan-16 12:35:43

I thought they already did. I have seen it mentioned on posts that people have ads appearing that are related sometimes in a comedy way that are related to the conversation.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 15-Jan-16 12:36:26

See the wee pointy blue arrow at the corner of the advert? If you click that it will take you here: www.youradchoices.com Where you can find out all about how you are being tracked, and interest related ads served.

Tuiles Fri 15-Jan-16 12:39:11

Pretty sure the ads often relate to the content being discussed. Sometimes the juxtaposition is comedic, but sometimes can be distressing.

TannhauserGate Fri 15-Jan-16 12:39:14

Well, they have their algorithms wrong if they do this!
I have been getting weird ads- Crieff Hydro (I'm guessing it's in Scotland?), a Gym in Solihull, but I live nowhere near either of those! Ads to build my brand confused ads for Disney (I hate Disney), cruises (ditto!), can't remember any other specific ones.

TannhauserGate Fri 15-Jan-16 12:40:00

Aw, I've never had soup ads, that's more me.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 15-Jan-16 12:41:05

This already happens. See all the bollard adverts after a traffic thread, etc.

Egosumquisum Fri 15-Jan-16 12:42:55

YouMakeMyDreams Fri 15-Jan-16 12:45:38

Ah yes that was one that I remember it happening on the penguin bollard thread.

SoupDragon Fri 15-Jan-16 12:57:11

The penguin bollards only appears if you clicked a link to look at them. I only got the ads after the original thread but never on any subsequent ones because I never needed to click the link again.

ColetteTech (MNHQ) Fri 15-Jan-16 15:10:07

Hi Ego,

Ads are targeted in many different ways, some more successfully than others- Tannhauser has attested to this! The most common ways that ads are targeted are based on products you’ve been looking at (remarketing) and your browsing history/cookies.

As ItsAllGoingToBeFine has mentioned, the following site is really good for explaining how advertisements across the web work: www.youradchoices.com/faq.aspx.

Egosumquisum Fri 15-Jan-16 15:15:07

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 15-Jan-16 15:34:45

But sorry, I have evil ad blocker.

Last time I checked that just means you don't see the ads, unless you're disabling cookies they are still tracking you...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now