Talk

Advanced search

Name changing - it's frustrating

(42 Posts)
Egosumquisum Mon 11-Jan-16 23:10:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyFucker Mon 11-Jan-16 23:16:45

Well, you can't have it both ways < shrug >

I don't like the name changing facility. I like to know who is having a go at me, something which happens with depressing regularity. Because I never name change and own my opinions (as unpopular as they sometimes are), I am somewhat on the backfoot when some tosser pops up to tell me how I do MN wrong and it is clear they know all about me and I have fuck all knowledge about them

So, yes, it's a double edged sword innit

Blueprintorange Mon 11-Jan-16 23:19:15

I've used a number of forums before, none of which allow name changing, for the reasons you've listed.

I think name changing shouldn't be allowed - if posters want privacy, they should avoid giving out personally identifying information.

SnuffleGruntSnorter Mon 11-Jan-16 23:21:00

I name change regularly because I have been 'outed' in the past. I like the anonymity that name changing affords. I don't like the idea that people I know in real life could read personal things I've posted and know it was me without me wanting them to.

AF, you've only ever shown me kindness and humour through all my different guises. I'm sorry that people sometimes have a go at you, I hope you're able to leave it at the screen.!

Egosumquisum Mon 11-Jan-16 23:21:50

AnyFucker Mon 11-Jan-16 23:22:23

Oh I do, snuffle. It's pretty irritating when I have no ammunition with which to give as good as I get though smile

AnyFucker Mon 11-Jan-16 23:22:54

Ego, you can hide your posting style about as easily as I can grin

SmallLegsOrSmallEggs Mon 11-Jan-16 23:30:13

You never seem lacking firepower to me AFgrin

I used to nc regularly but keep similar names just so it wouldn't all turn up on one search if EA x comes looking.

Major nc after Jeffrey though.

I get what you mean but I'd leave if there was no nc.

AnyFucker Mon 11-Jan-16 23:33:16

I see that too, Small.

Can't have it all ways, that's all.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 11-Jan-16 23:34:48

I talk about really personal stuff sometimes. I wouldn't post half as much if I had to keep the same name, I'd be too scared if being outed.

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Mon 11-Jan-16 23:39:02

"if posters want privacy, they should avoid giving out personally identifying information"

Right, so I'll stop talking about my DC then, or my partner, or my abusive ex, or where I live, my job, my family or the ILs.

What's left? I'll have to stick to political ranting and inconsequential chit chat. But then it wouldn't really be mumsnet would it?

Egosumquisum Mon 11-Jan-16 23:41:31

AnyFucker Mon 11-Jan-16 23:48:33

I think sometimes folk tweak the odd detail. Age/sex of DC for example.

HappenstanceMarmite Mon 11-Jan-16 23:57:02

Is MN full of celebrities then? Living in fear of being "outed"? 😏

Dorsetmama Tue 12-Jan-16 00:01:09

Wish i could change mine.
Every time i do it, it never works. Just doesn't change!

YesEinsteinsMumDid Tue 12-Jan-16 00:32:23

Is MN full of celebrities then? Living in fear of being "outed"?
Nope but some of us have twatty ex's/individuals in our lives that means it is just far easier to be able to make life more difficult for them.
HQ really do the best they can to help when things go tits up and the namechange facility means that there is a safe place to ask for help and advice which otherwise may well be impossible to access.

Dorsetmama are you remembering to put your password in when you try to change. I had to learn that one the hard way

Eigg Tue 12-Jan-16 00:43:40

Happen there are all sorts of reasons for not wanting to be outed.

And despite the fact that MN has a large membership it is easier than you think to identify people.

All it takes is a couple of key bits if information scattered across your posting history and you could work out the person's age, DC's ages and sex, profession, what area of the country you live in.

So for example if a poster mentioned that they were a teacher, living Dundee, with 3 boys aged 3, 6 and 9 and that one of the children had a specific health concern you might be able to narrow that down to a pretty small number of women.

All they then need to do is tell the same story in MN as they told on FB and hey presto.

At that point anyone with enough time and the advanced search can find out your opinions on a whole ^range* of things...

BerylStreep Tue 12-Jan-16 01:06:42

I have always maintained that there should be a limit on name changing - perhaps a max of 2 names during any one time period.

I have been BerylStreep for over 5 years now (with the exceptional name change for very personal matters). There have only been a couple of posters with home I have clashed swords with in that time, but I wonder if they have NC and still see me there as someone they haven't agreed with but can take a pop at with a new name.

It is something that I think MN feel is part of what makes them different - the ability to nc at will.

ilovesooty Tue 12-Jan-16 23:23:08

I can see why people might want to NC for personal reasons. I do think it should be limited and I have all the reservations about it that Ego and AF expressed.

Peyia Thu 14-Jan-16 06:57:26

I'm genuinely confused.

How is the name change going to protect your identity? If someone is on MN and recognises personal stuff, they'll suspect/know it's you regardless. Genuine question.

I don't bother with it as I don't see the point.

nooka Thu 14-Jan-16 07:21:46

Sorry but I think it is really really odd for someone who has changed their MN name more than once already and probably will do so again to be complaining about the ability to change names here. It sounds as if you want to be able to change, but you do not want other people to do so.

There are a few people who have such distinctive styles or viewpoints that they are really easy to spot despite the name changes (thinking of current users, Xenia is perhaps the most obvious - to me anyway) others I find quite surprising to rediscover under their new names. Generally there are such a large number of members now that I think individuals are probably less spotable, however the site is so popular that it may be a bit risky to keep the same name forever.

Plus the seasonal and silly name changes are fun!

BertrandRussell Thu 14-Jan-16 07:34:19

I hate the fact that I've had to name change a couple of times. But if anyone mentions a particular name I used some years ago I start getting very unpleasant emails. So I have to change. And it stops. It's very odd indeed. It's as if someone has it in for that particular name- and some sort of alert up for it.

Sparklingbrook Thu 14-Jan-16 07:38:34

Sorry but I think it is really really odd for someone who has changed their MN name more than once already and probably will do so again to be complaining about the ability to change names here.

Me too.

Egosumquisum Thu 14-Jan-16 08:17:00

hobnobsaremyfave Thu 14-Jan-16 08:38:32

If you don't want to be identified don't make yourself identifiable it's not rocket science really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now