Why isn't the Cologne Sex Assault thread listed in Discussion of The Day?

(28 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

hiddenhome2 Sat 09-Jan-16 17:43:54

This is the second thread on the subject and almost full now.

No mention of it in Discussion of The Day hmm

carlajean Sat 09-Jan-16 17:46:55

^^ to this

hiddenhome2 Sat 09-Jan-16 17:59:18

Are you trying not to draw attention to it MN?

sunnydayinmay Sat 09-Jan-16 18:08:31

?

Penfold007 Sat 09-Jan-16 18:13:57

It's being discussed on Channel 4 news right now!

Ubik1 Sat 09-Jan-16 18:14:16

?

hiddenhome2 Sat 09-Jan-16 18:27:37

What, the thread is being discussed?

All the nutters will descend sad

Penfold007 Sat 09-Jan-16 19:17:26

No, sorry, the Cologne mass sex assault has made the news not MN

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 09-Jan-16 19:21:31

It shows in "In The News on Mumsnet Talk" right underneath the Discussions of the Day box, so it might be that they don't want to duplicate it within such a small space?

hiddenhome2 Sat 09-Jan-16 19:30:12

It's linked to the old (first) thread on there, but it's still Trending.

They don't want to draw attention to it.

It's massive. It's onto its third thread now.

CalmYoBadSelf Sat 09-Jan-16 19:35:24

I find it odd that an item like this with such implications for women's rights is not being more widely reported and pushed into the open, especially by sites and publications that should be championing those rights

hiddenhome2 Sat 09-Jan-16 19:42:28

People try to minimise it because the implications are so massive and could lead to civil war potentially.

This and they don't like women presumably.

lighteningirl Sat 09-Jan-16 19:52:10

The assaults in Cologne like the rapes in Sweden do not fit the open borders agenda. They can't be discussed without discussing refugees it's a straight out conflict women's rights v refugees and no one wants to face it.

BabyGanoush Sat 09-Jan-16 19:59:01

because it is a very uncomfortable topic?

It has been a good discussion, though.

Lots of people have been trying formulate why they were/are uncomfortable with what happened, how it was suppressed by the press etc.

For me it was the FIRST time that I got a news story through MN, WAY before it broke on the BBC.

I am glad we are able to discuss it here, in peace, unmoderated. MN did not shut the debate down.

That is a lot more than can be said about the Guardian sad

I did not miss it in "discussion of the day" as it was up tending the top 5 all along.

MamaMary Sat 09-Jan-16 20:02:34

It's on to its THIRD thread - why is not coming up on trending? what's going on Mumsnet?

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 09-Jan-16 21:33:17

Hi folks. There's no conspiracy here, we promise! It's been a really good discussion and we've been enjoying following it. It has been highlighted in our In The News box (just below Discussion of the Day/Trending).

Discussion of the Day tends (though this isn't a hard and fast rule) to highlight slightly 'lighter' threads and In The News naturally tends to be threads with a bit more weight, but this isn't always the case. Discussion of the Day isn't decided purely on how many posts a thread has though, we just pick threads that we think look interesting and that people might want highlighting. As there was already a thread about this in the In The News box just below, it probably wouldn't have made it onto both.

With regards to Trending, we think the threads may well have been in there from time to time. Trending is largely out of our hands though - it simply lists the threads that are being most heavily used at any one time, so it has probably slipped in and out of there several times.

Hope that clarifies things a bit anyway.

hiddenhome2 Sun 10-Jan-16 15:21:29

It's onto its third thread and there's still no mention in discussion of the day.

Your link in the news list is to the first thread.

What's going on?

You don't want people to discover these threads do you?

VertigoNun Sun 10-Jan-16 15:31:30

You have two threads on this hidden home.

hiddenhome2 Sun 10-Jan-16 15:33:27

I know, I've started another one so they'll take notice.

They've replied on this one, so will therefore ignore it from now on.

I'm forcing them to acknowledge what they're doing.

BeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 10-Jan-16 15:38:46

Hi hiddenhome - we'll put thread number 3 on Discussions of the Day shortly.

We do want to assure you that there is no conspiracy and we have no issue with these threads being shared. As Iona has said above, Discussions of the Day do tend to be lighter topics, whereas threads about news stories, such as this, do tend to go into In The News.

hiddenhome2 Sun 10-Jan-16 15:42:15

Right.

A lot of people don't go into News. I only go there if I'm bored of other sections as News tends to be slow.

This is too important to hide under the carpet.

VertigoNun Sun 10-Jan-16 16:49:34

Thank you BeccaMumsnet.

AuntieStella Sun 10-Jan-16 16:52:14

I think MNHQ mentioned In The News because there is a box for that just below the Discussions Of The Day one, and Cologne threads have been there for some days now. You don't have to go into News.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Mon 11-Jan-16 10:49:14

The thread listed on the news section below DOTD is still the first one.

hiddenhome2 Mon 11-Jan-16 10:53:05

Yes, it's still the first one.

They're determined to hide it, or at least not draw attention to it.

These things can't be hidden forever though. These attacks will snowball and then everyone will have to face up to what's going on in Europe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now