Talk

Advanced search

The site is ruined until you deal with trolls.

(64 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 06-Dec-15 22:20:05

I started a thread about someone paying for my Christmas dinner a few months ago. I started it because I was feeling a bit freaked out and couldn't work out who it was.

I've been accused of being a troll for that thread 8 times now. And that's not including the "hinting-you're-a-troll" comments. I stopped updating it for that reason. Then people moan that you're not updating it. So I updated it earlier, after getting a few PMs about it, and then got accused of being a troll because it was, for some reason, mentioned on another thread. That has led to more troll accusations.

I won't start any more threads, unless they are on really boring things. It's genuinely a bit hurtful.

If trolls can't be better controlled, so that the troll-hunting stops and everyone stops just trying to be the first to call troll, we'll end up with no threads.

Sparklingbrook Sun 06-Dec-15 22:21:44

I saw your thread at the start. I didn't realise it had turned. sad

PacificDogwod Sun 06-Dec-15 22:22:40

I have yet to come across an internet forum without trolls.

Sorry you've been upset (I've not seen your thread).

I agree that trolling AND troll-hunting is horrible, but how would you suggest to control trolls? Genuine question.
I now some suggestions have been made, but MNHQ have felt they are too restrictive and I tend to agree.

gaggiagirl Sun 06-Dec-15 22:23:43

Was the mystery ever solved? Sorry your thread turned OP.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 06-Dec-15 22:24:17

Without making myself sound any more pathetic, this place used to be really welcoming and stand in for the family I don't have - I've had threads on food poisoning and sickness and housekeeping stuff and general life stuff, and that one about being weirded out that someone paid for my dinner anonymously.

It feels really venomous when everyone then thinks your a troll. Especially as I really can't see why it's annoying people.

I might be a bit too sensitive for MN tonight.

Sparklingbrook Sun 06-Dec-15 22:25:38

I don't know what the answer is. Jeffgate made everyone suspicious I think.

usual Sun 06-Dec-15 22:26:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PacificDogwod Sun 06-Dec-15 22:26:23

Step away for MN for a bit and come back when the fuckers can't get to you so easily?
Wishing you a good night thanks

ChampagneTastes Sun 06-Dec-15 22:27:05

Frankly, it's not the trolls that are the problem. It's the troll hunters. I really don't get why people can't just report and move on. And, in the case of threads like yours, why would it even matter if you WERE a troll? It was not asking for money or even lots of support. It was just curious. (And please do keep updating because I've been lurking!) Try not to take it too personally.

mineofuselessinformation Sun 06-Dec-15 22:33:11

I agree with champagne. It's not really the trolls, but the self-righteous people who appoint themselves troll-hunters in a thread that really hurt and upset genuine posters that are looking for support.
The whole point of forums like mumsnet is that you can post asking for help in unusual situations.
I've been caught out by trolls a few times - but usually they're the ones who started a thread.
The rest, I tend to think 'that's a bit dodgy', but I do report rather than say something goady.
Take a break from it if it suits you, but do remember it's very easy to say outrageous things from a keyboard if you choose to carry on.

Sparklingbrook Sun 06-Dec-15 22:35:14

Reports being dealt with quicker would help. Especially overnight and at weekends.

toopeoply Sun 06-Dec-15 22:35:30

Agree with Champagne. It's the troll hunters that are worse. Especially when they think they are 'onto someone' and consistently attack. They are most likely wrong and it can be really hurtful. If you think troll, just report and let mumsnet to the rest.

Sparklingbrook Sun 06-Dec-15 22:37:17

Mumsnet will do the rest. But not always very quickly.

usual Sun 06-Dec-15 22:38:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DonkeyOaty Sun 06-Dec-15 22:38:36

Amen to that, our Sparklers.

Anchor flowers

G1veMeStrength Sun 06-Dec-15 22:39:47

Oh op I feel sorry for you. I remember your original tread and didn't know you'd been accused of being a troll, how rubbish.

Tbh there are posts where I think 'that's a bit far fetched' but they are entertaining and as I go on here to be entertained I don't really mind. The begging type ones are awful though.

ThruUlikeAshortcut Sun 06-Dec-15 22:40:47

So Anchor did you find out who paid yet?

reni2 Sun 06-Dec-15 22:42:04

The thread that quoted yours has even more troll hunting on than yours. But it is really odd to troll hunt on a thread as old as yours is, if people were this suspicious, surely they would have reported it and HQ will have checked by now.

Yours is a fairly personal one, very unkind to throw about troll accusations.

magimedi Sun 06-Dec-15 22:45:30

Mumsnet is now a big enough site with, I deduce, much advertising revenue, to employ people 24/7 to deal with reports, trolls etc.

There have been some appalling trolls over this w/e on miscarriage threads etc that have not been taken down in time.

It's no use relying on a few night watch volunteers (wonderful though they are).

This place needs 24/7 proper monitoring or it will go right down the tubes.

Anchor fwiw I never thought you were a troll.

Pancakeflipper Sun 06-Dec-15 22:57:49

You know you are not a troll Anchor.
Sadly I think more and more people are reading threads and subconsciously and consciously thinking "is it worth posting on that as its got troll signals?" And that must mean people whom could really assist or resolve genuine issues aren't posting.

I know there's always been trolls and maybe they are identified more now, making it feel like a more common problem. Or perhaps it is getting worse?

I had a thinly veiled comment about me being a troll and I think someone reported as MNHQ popped on the thread (with a comment about my 'issue' not about trolling). Thankfully I wasn't at a low ebb so it was "whatever" to me. But can understand why it upsets others.

BeverlyGoldberg Sun 06-Dec-15 22:58:02

Anchor I loved your thread, never for one second thought you were disingenuous.

I just wanted to say that, aside from thinking it's the Landlord, you shouldn't be alone at Christmas and I think you should go for the meal.

Also I've been reading your username incorrectly, I thought it was 'AnchorDeepDownBreath', and was puzzled, it makes more sense now I've stopped being thick!

IamtheZombie Sun 06-Dec-15 23:03:16

Zombie awaits the inevitable day when she is accused of being a troll.

OddSocksHighHeels Mon 07-Dec-15 01:10:23

Yes it's the troll hunters that are worse. And it is horrible when it happens to you because how can you prove yourself one way or the other?

And your thread never read like a troll thread to me at all. It would be a pretty pointless (and harmless) thing to troll about.

Sparklingbrook Mon 07-Dec-15 09:22:38

I really can't agree that trollhunting is worse than trolling. I wish there were neither, and that reports were acted on more quickly before people got the chance to start trollhunting on the thread.

reni2 Mon 07-Dec-15 09:32:40

Both trolls and troll hunting make it less likely people post about things that are weird. I bet most of us had a couple of experiences in our lives that would sound trollish if written down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now