Talk

Advanced search

Can We Have A "Bit of a Moan" Topic Please?

(27 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 20-Nov-15 20:39:44

Hello MN Towers, can we have a "Bit of a Moan" topic please?

A topic where we can rant about DPs without the LTB/he's controlling posts. Moan about the neighbours without wanting to call 101. Complain about lollipop people, shoppers who get in our way, eejits who wait 20 minutes at the bus stop and only start fumbling for for the fare after they get on.angry

A lighthearted, superficial Moaning Topic, that accepts that some things just piss us off and it's ok to say so.smile

AuntieStella Sat 21-Nov-15 17:55:39

Couldn't most of this go in 'chat'?

Or one of the (oodles of) themed topics?

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sat 21-Nov-15 20:25:24

Hi there Dione. This isn't the first time this has come up actually. We can see the argument that these threads could be homed anywhere, but we also see it would be fun to have a 'safe space' to have a light-hearted whinge without fear of First World Problems Reprisals. A sort of Trivial Troubles Cafe? We do consider all requests if there seems to be enough call for it. What does everyone else think? <begins to assemble own list of minor parking and grammatical indiscretions for which Mumsnet justice must be meted out>

DioneTheDiabolist Thu 26-Nov-15 19:56:56

Thanks for your reply IonaMN.smile

Auntie, of course there are lots of topics where lighthearted moans could go, unfortunately such threads tend to go tits up, to the extent that posters will not start threads because tgey know that there is a high chance that tgey will descend into bunfights, be told to LTB or are told that they are horrible people who should not be doing their jobs/ are awful parents etc.sad

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 26-Nov-15 20:13:07

OP, I kind of agree with Stella. You have Chat which should be moderate, and AIBU which these days tend to descend into a bunfight even when the op has conceded that sibu confused.

Shouldnt "I just want a moan about....." go into Chat?

AuntieStella Thu 26-Nov-15 20:35:40

I think the trouble might be that posters who act like the whole site is AIBU will do exactly the same even in new topics.

Skullyton Thu 26-Nov-15 22:39:00

yes please.. chat has turned into a 'posting for traffic, so please say if its lighthearted or get flamed' fest.

We NEED a 'trivial troubles' kind of moaning junction.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Nov-15 10:21:40

Hi there,

We're still looking in on this thread, but with less than a handful of you wanting this topic, it's not looking likely! grin

Samcro Fri 27-Nov-15 10:44:32

oh please
(and a trans one)

U2HasTheEdge Fri 27-Nov-15 12:52:10

No point.

It will turn into AIBU anyway. People aren't going to stop overreacting or being harsh due to the forum title.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 27-Nov-15 12:58:38

I think it's a nice idea 'cause of the amount of threads that go tits up when someone bitchplops.

Unfortunately I don't think a sparkly new topic would stop that.

MNHQ - what is your view on posters killing lighthearted threads? How do you think MNers should deal with it?

LettuceLaughton Fri 27-Nov-15 13:12:27

I strongly believe that AIBU should be cut loose to live it's own life as a stand alone forum. Affiliated but separate. I've hidden it, as have many long term posters, but its impact across the forum as a whole is undeniable and (in my opinion) entirely negative. I'm sure it generates plenty of revenue but it's at the cost of the foul and spirit of this place.

Much as I'd like to believe otherwise, topic for non serious winging and friendly silliness would solve the problems people have with the overly harsh brigade it is never going to work. The atmosphere isn't
conducive and people get overly defensive because they expect harsh responses. Threads marked Lighthearted piss me right off but I can see why people do it.

LettuceLaughton Fri 27-Nov-15 13:13:37

Foul = soul

LettuceLaughton Fri 27-Nov-15 13:14:55

I shouldn't be allowed to post on teh mobile, what a garbled messblush

Maryz Sat 28-Nov-15 11:14:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ginslinger Sat 28-Nov-15 11:17:59

Yes I really need petty gripes this morning - DH is mending something fir me and causing utter chaos in the process and his little hurt face when I asked him to move the junk.

Yes, yes - i'm entitled and a bitch and should realise that some peopke don't have anyone to mend things.

Maryz Sat 28-Nov-15 11:22:53

ginslinger Sat 28-Nov-15 11:26:20

Mucho sympathy Mary

Arfarfanarf Sat 28-Nov-15 11:38:01

It would be nice for people to have a place where they can moan about something trivial but i think it would quickly become somewhere folks would be saying please say there there to me because i want to moan about my abusive husband/ violent mother in law/ sexually inappropriate boss / neighbour who steals from me but i dont want to take any action to actually change my situation.
Its going to be very unlikely that posters are going to say poor you and not try to suggest ways they could change their situation.

But then i suppose if posters know going in that the op doesnt want any input beyond sympathy it might stop posters trying to help by suggesting stuff. As long as posters respected that by choosing to post there the op was making the choice to say i do not want advice, just sympathy.
So yeah, a moaning - no advice please topic might be good.

Maryz Sat 28-Nov-15 11:50:02

Arfarfanarf Sat 28-Nov-15 11:55:55

Yes. I agree.
I think people would still try to 'solve' though because i dont think they can help themselves grin

I cant really see a thread going past 2 posts if all you can type is poor you.

But it would be good to get it out.

I for one have a million petty complaints i could spew forth grin

SauvignonBlanche Sat 28-Nov-15 13:41:12

I like the 'Petty gripes' idea. smile

TheCarpenter Sun 29-Nov-15 13:54:24

Petty Gripes sounds brilliant.

I'd like to post 'My DD is constantly just a little bit sick a few times an hour.'

Without adding
(I'm so grateful to have a DD to puke on me, tried for years to have her, and yes I'm lucky in that it's nothing serious, but jesus the washing.)

coffeeisnectar Sun 29-Nov-15 14:01:47

I like the idea of petty gripes. I love my dh to bits but yesterday I could cheerfully have put him in a shallow grave. I can't even remember why now, that's how petty it was but I was feeling ill all day and he just irritated me more than itchy knickers!!

<actually, it was to do with the purchase of candles. Which we still haven't bought>

Maryz Sun 29-Nov-15 14:14:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now