Talk

Advanced search

Poor grammar, spelling and puntuation

(9 Posts)
hedgehogsdontbite Tue 10-Nov-15 06:13:13

Please, please, please can we have a zero tolerance policy in regards to making an issue about a poster's standard of English? I'm seeing it more and more and think it's a terrible reflection on the MN community and really bloody nasty.

People struggle to write in English for many reasons including not being a native speaker, having a disability, being stressed or being failed by the education system. I think it's very brave to post asking for advice when you're struggling with the language. It takes a lot of mental and emotional energy. I can't believe grown women think it's acceptable to respond with bitchy, sneery comments about paragraphs, punctuation etc when someone is trying to ask for help.

I'm surprised any of these posters come back. I wouldn't if 2/3rds of the responses to my query were belittling me and adding nothing useful. Why is it acceptable to humiliate posters in this way? Especially as poor language skills may well indicate a poster more in need of support and advice than most.

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 10-Nov-15 06:16:34

Another thread about this?
Really?
It's like an epidemic.
Yawn.

madwomanbackintheattic Tue 10-Nov-15 06:19:23

And mnhq already posted on the nonsensical babyinacagethread, so they have already adopted a policy of gentle chiding toward unpleasantness.
Nothing more to be done except clutter up the boards whining about it, I guess.

hedgehogsdontbite Tue 10-Nov-15 06:21:16

Why do you have to be so rude? If my topic is of no interest to you ignore it and move on to something that does.

WendyTorrance Tue 10-Nov-15 06:41:45

I agree, hedgehogs. It can be hard to find the courage and confidence to post, to then be sneered at instead of helped must be crushing. I think that more people should consider the old saying 'if you can't say anything nice, say nowt'.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 10-Nov-15 09:51:04

Please do report it when you see it and we will happily post on the thread or mail those who break our guidelines.

Sparklingbrook Tue 10-Nov-15 09:53:20

It's being discussed on this thread

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2505292-to-think-that-MN-should-be-accessible-to-everyone?pg=1

AuntieStella Tue 10-Nov-15 10:06:08

There are always threads about this, madwoman.

With the exception of generally being against text speak (as it buggers things up for those who use reading software) MNHQ doesn't really seem to have a stance. So if grammar or indeed anything else is used to attack a poster, report it as against guidelines. But no need to single out a grammar attack in particular.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Tue 10-Nov-15 10:09:34

Thankfully HQ are beginning to act on the posts that are made solely to criticise an OP's use of English.

Not before time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: