Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Please give an automatic ban to trollhunters

(103 Posts)
catsrus Mon 26-Oct-15 06:39:58

There's some appalling troll hunting tonight on a DV thread. If the only consequence of troll hunting is a deleted post people will carry on doing it. Instead of the ubiquitous "please read our guidelines..." Type message I would like to see "This poster is now under a one week suspension for troll hunting" .

We know some women live in situations that are so extreme they are hard to believe - surely MN should err on the side of believing?

ishouldcocoa Mon 26-Oct-15 06:44:28

I know the thread you are referring to. I hope the OP returns to read the replies. If it's true, she really needs our help.

The troll hunting was not helpful. At all.

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Oct-15 06:51:52

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2479603-Troll-Hunting?pg=1&order=

This was discussed a few weeks ago.

usual Mon 26-Oct-15 06:55:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Coconutty Mon 26-Oct-15 06:57:50

wannaBe Mon 26-Oct-15 07:00:45

yeah, let's encourage more trolls by automatically banning anyone who dares voice suspicion.

I have no idea which thread is being talked about in this particular instance, but given that the vast majority a lot of posts in e.g. relationships are thought to be troll posts, if we start automatically banning anyone for daring to say that you will just encourage more of them. And no, report report report rarely has any impact.

gamerchick Mon 26-Oct-15 07:09:06

IT won't work.

Tbh the thread you're referring too is rather bizarre and the advice not to share personal stories on it is valid. Report and call it on the thread if you're convinced.

Oh and don't share massively personal stories to show the OP you 'understand' then it's all good.

Anastasie Mon 26-Oct-15 07:17:00

MNHQ seem not to have had anyone on duty during the night again

Tbh this is beyond a joke.

I know we don't pay to post here. But if you're going to run a talk board then please start responding to reports within, Oh 6 hours or so?

Coconutty Mon 26-Oct-15 07:18:27

Anastasie Mon 26-Oct-15 07:19:05

What makes you say that?

Fuckitfay Mon 26-Oct-15 07:21:23

Report and call it on the thread if you're convinced.

You're NOT meant to call it in the thread. If there's even a one per cent chance that DV post is real then it's not worth it, leaving aside that it's totally against the rules to troll hunt on MN. This could be a woman seeking help for a really serious DV incident - if you think it's not real back off and report. The troll hunting on that thread is utterly repellant

gamerchick Mon 26-Oct-15 07:23:56

I'm not on about calling troll on the thread.

gamerchick Mon 26-Oct-15 07:25:54

Sorry I see what you mean.

Report the troll hunters and tell them to wind their necks in, which is what's happening isn't it?

This one is going to go poof as well probably.

Sparklingbrook Mon 26-Oct-15 07:29:33

Did anyone flag the thread up to Nightwatch?

hesterton Mon 26-Oct-15 07:30:33

I agree with fuckitfay. 1 per cent is enough to mean there is a small chance someone telling the truth is not being believed.

To my mind sensible etiquette is:

If you don't believe it, leave it.

Don't give personal details of abuse on any thread unless you are completely ok with the consequences to your feelings however the thread turns out.

If you feel it is a fake, report it and close it. Just withdraw. You aren't judge and jury, handing out the sentence to what could potentially be a real person.

And if it is a troll- well fuck em. The only person they have made a fool out of in the long run is themselves. I'd rather we didn't let one real person down than that we smugly bingoed 100 hairy footers.

DaddyPigIsMyParentingGuru Mon 26-Oct-15 07:31:20

I just reported the troll hunting on the dv thread.

Lemonfizzypop Mon 26-Oct-15 07:33:35

There are some proper dicks on that thread- really what is gained by suggesting someone is a troll? If you think they are then just report the post.
The troll hunters on that thread just seem to want everyone to know how much cleverer they are than everyone else, and sod the person who may very well be in dire need of advice and support.

exLtEveDallas Mon 26-Oct-15 07:37:15

And if it is a troll- well fuck em. The only person they have made a fool out of in the long run is themselves

But that isn't correct. The reason we have troll hunting is because of the many times that MNers have been trolled into giving too much personal info/money/time and emotion. Longer 'serving' MNers remember the times when it has gone very wrong and people have been hurt beyond belief.

Nightwatch needs to be more active. MN needs more cover. If the 'don't post more than you are willing to give' warning had come from HQ people wouldn't have blinked - it's because it came from a poster that it went tits up.

Sort the trolls before beheading the hunters.

hesterton Mon 26-Oct-15 07:37:46

And someone made an incredibly valid point on the head - that even if it is a troll, other women who are suffering dv may read the troll hunting and decide noone would believe them either. So it is a very damaging bit of smugness.

yeOldeTrout Mon 26-Oct-15 07:38:39

bloody hell, as if MN didn't censor everything left right & centre already. Now we can't even call BS when we see it? Pah.

hesterton Mon 26-Oct-15 07:38:53

Then we need to get better at supporting each other to support appropriately.

MummySparkle Mon 26-Oct-15 07:40:15

I got called a troll and banned once when I was genuinely in an awful situation and reaching out for help. It was a truly horrible experience

usual Mon 26-Oct-15 07:41:17

hesterton Mon 26-Oct-15 07:41:25

It's like with the no money threads. People are wise to the fact that there is a chance they could be scams and are generally good at posting generic advice regarding surviving an empty purse without offering their last £20.

hesterton Mon 26-Oct-15 07:43:39

We can do the same with dv threads. Lots of generic advice and listening (if you have the time and inclination with eyes open) but don't give too much of yourself away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now