CAN YOU CONFIRM THERE HAS BEEN A FORCED PASSWORD CHANGE?

(94 Posts)
Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:19:43

Because I could happily log in under my old password, I wasn't forced to change at all.

All the passwords on the list are valid if the mumsnetter is no longer using the site, and therefore hasn't seen the kerfuffle.

So anyone (including some nosy parker wannabe vigilantes here hmm) can log in using random names/passwords, have a look at the account details and get email addresses.

So have ALL passwords pre-yesterday been blocked permanently?

Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:21:36

And for those of you who use home/work/important emails, may I suggest that you immediately get an email address for mn only, change your account details to register that change, and hope to hell that mnhq have some way of making changes permanent, so all emails are to your new address, not some to new and some to old.

This morning I got a "you are on the list" email to my old address and a "here is justine's post" email to my new address.

[baffled]

Skullyton Wed 19-Aug-15 14:22:33

supposedly, but they should have auto-ended everyones login sessions too.

I asked it as the VERY FIRST question on Techs thread, it has been ignored, completely. hmm

Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:24:56

Well they didn't.

My OLD PASSWORD (that is on the list) worked this morning at 10.30.

RedCrayons Wed 19-Aug-15 14:24:56

It was a forced reset, I reset last night and the email came this morning. So you shouldn't be able to log in using the details published.

Perhaps you should report to MNhq.

Skullyton Wed 19-Aug-15 14:26:50

Red, people have been reporting it SINCE THE RESET YESTERDAY and NO-ONE has addressed it!

Questions about it have been repeatedly IGNORED.

RedCrayons Wed 19-Aug-15 14:28:11

Oh gosh I didn't realise, sorry. I haven't read all the thread, I have to confess but saw stuff on Twitter.

RedCrayons Wed 19-Aug-15 14:29:00

^ not read Tech thread, not this thread.

Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:29:04

I have reported.

That's why I'm starting this thread.

I know most people have reset, but HAVE THEY BEEN FORCED TO.

Are any of the passwords on the list valid for mn still?

I'm tempted to go and try them, but that would be wrong hmm

DavidTech (MNHQ) Wed 19-Aug-15 14:29:12

Skullyton, that question has been answered on one of the other threads. I'm afraid I don't have time to dig it out now but I am 99% sure it's there. We had good reasons to not want to terminate all user sessions at that point. We may yet do so.

cozietoesie Wed 19-Aug-15 14:29:47

You might not have been able to log in on an old password, Red, but you weren't automatically logged out - in the early stages at any rate, I don't know about now.

I changed my password on one machine but the others were functioning fine until such time as I logged myself out on them. (Or, presumably, would have had to undertake a function which required password confirmation - I just didn't have to.)

cozietoesie Wed 19-Aug-15 14:30:58

Sorry - x post.

Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:31:18

Well since one poster is now boasting that she has used a name and password on a list to access an account, get an email and use that to access a users hotmail and FB,. maybe you should consider doing it.

You KNOW that user names and passwords for your site are on the web, and have been for 12 hours, and you haven't forced a reset?

Skullyton Wed 19-Aug-15 14:31:55

So despite Justine telling us it was a forced site wide reset, you're telling us it wasn't

That there are people on that published list who's PW's weren't voided?

That there are people on that list who're still vulnerable to people accessing their MN account and all the private info there-in?

SERIOUSLY?

Why tell us it was a forced reset if you DIDNT RESET EVERYONE?

DavidTech (MNHQ) Wed 19-Aug-15 14:38:13

It was a forced reset, for every user. We didn't invalidate your existing login session for good reasons, so if you were already logged in you would remain logged in. This was a compromise but it was the best option under the circumstances.

You cannot log in using your password from before the reset. To login you have to request a password reset, follow the link and put in a new password. You could choose to use the same password as before unfortunately, which is something we will change.

MeetMeInTheMorning Wed 19-Aug-15 14:38:47

"Skullyton, that question has been answered on one of the other threads. I'm afraid I don't have time to dig it out now but I am 99% sure it's there. We had good reasons to not want to terminate all user sessions at that point. We may yet do so."

Eh?

so what is the answer? Was there a forced re-set or not?

I got an email telling me to change my password at just about the same time that the list went up.

Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:41:45

I'm sure I logged in on my phone this morning at about 10.30. And I hadn't been logged in before, so I'm pretty sure I used my old password.

I didn't change password until 11.15 this morning, I've just checked my emails to confirm.

Skullyton Wed 19-Aug-15 14:41:47

OFGS DAVID TECH

People, including the OP on this thread have said REPEATEDLY some people can STILL LOG IN WITH THEIR OLD PASSWORD

Do we have to jump up and down and shout?

The PW Maryz had published on the list STILL WORKED AT 10.30AM this morning!

She IS NOT the only one to report this.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN GOING ON ABOUT!

(caps because i cant bold whole sentences for some reason)

JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Aug-15 14:43:58

Hi yes, it was a forced reset. None of the older passwords are valid on Mumsnet.

Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:46:55

[baffled]

When was the forced reset, just as a matter of interest?

An exact time would be helpful, as I'm beginning to think I'm going mad.

JessicaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 19-Aug-15 14:47:34

Skullyton

OFGS DAVID TECH

People, including the OP on this thread have said REPEATEDLY some people can STILL LOG IN WITH THEIR OLD PASSWORD

Do we have to jump up and down and shout?

The PW Maryz had published on the list STILL WORKED AT 10.30AM this morning!

She IS NOT the only one to report this.

THIS IS WHAT WE'VE BEEN GOING ON ABOUT!

(caps because i cant bold whole sentences for some reason)

Thank you Skullyton, if this has happened to anyone on this thread please can you mail us on contactus@musmnet.com so we can verify your email and password?

Skullyton Wed 19-Aug-15 14:47:42

<head:desk>

Rarity08 Wed 19-Aug-15 14:49:42

I created a new email account and re registered. Said email account is solely for mn.

Maryz Wed 19-Aug-15 14:50:53

Yes, I've done that too Rarity.

I did it last night.

This morning I got an email from mnhq saying my name was on the list - to my old email account confused

MeetMeInTheMorning Wed 19-Aug-15 14:53:38

"Hi yes, it was a forced reset. None of the older passwords are valid on Mumsnet."

you are 100 % incorrect.

It is possible to pick a name from the list and log into their account with the password on the list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now