Talk

Advanced search

Does MNHQ still subscribe to the boycott?

(13 Posts)
confuddledDOTcom Wed 29-Jul-15 16:57:14

I've always been proud that MNHQ was happy to stand with the Nestlé boycott but recently I've noticed a few things sneaking in. line adverts to Nestlé products and did I really just get an email about a Body Shop competition? If you're no longer boycotting I must have missed the thread about that but either way can you clarify?

confuddledDOTcom Wed 29-Jul-15 16:57:45

like adverts*

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Jul-15 08:40:47

Hi there,
Yes we boycott Nestle and companies and brands which Nestle controls - ie owns 50% or more. I believe Nestle only owns minority stake in Body Shop - 30%. They have small investments in literally hundred of companies, not to mention pension fund investments so we've always said the simplest thing is to go with this definition. Agree it's not perfect but it makes the point whilst still being workable.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 10:41:21

I think that that's a fair statement of intent given the complexity of the trading world and the fact that Nestle have over 2000 products if I recall. There are bound to be slips, though, so you'll likely have to reconcile yourself to having them pointed out by people.

(By the way - their holding in Body Shop has, I think, reduced. I seem to recall that they sold an amount which represented 6% of the BS brand so they're down to about 24% (At which point their shares rose dramatically!) Happy to be corrected on that.)

RepeatAdNauseum Thu 30-Jul-15 10:46:39

Nestle own 30% of the Body Shop.

They reduced some of their shares in L'Oreal, but the Body Shop ownership was not affected (most of the 8% sold related to a French pharmaceutical company, I believe).

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 10:55:36

As I said - complex. Especially given the relationship between Nestle and L'Oreal. wink Not undeliberate I would imagine. (I would hate to be the accountants for any of the firms.)

confuddledDOTcom Thu 30-Jul-15 12:02:31

how about the emails containing recommended products that are actually Nestlé and the adverts for reviews that contain Nestlé products. I know you can't stop people reviewing and recommending but you're using those then to advertise your site. I get the point about Body Shop but the rest still doesn't look good as a boycott supporter.

Btw why are emails and PM not being answered? I tried both to report dad.net being plastered all over your shares and no one replied or even read my messages.

RepeatAdNauseum Thu 30-Jul-15 12:05:35

Sorry Cozie, I didn't mean that to sound as harsh as it does!

I work with an auditor, Nestlé account time is always fun. I agree they keep it deliberately muddied!

confuddledDOTcom Thu 30-Jul-15 12:06:49

I do some work for the boycott (trying to keep that vague enough not too out myself) so I try to keep myself aware of brands. I also use buycott an app that tells you the family tree of a product and if you are boycotting any of them. The world's products are mostly owned by five companies so boycotting isn't easy, you just have to pick your battles and Nestlé is the most evil company on the planet and seem to enjoy that.

cozietoesie Thu 30-Jul-15 12:39:43

Goodness, Repeat - it didn't sound harsh at all to me. smile All the best with such parts of the Nestle accounts as you have to do with. I don't envy you.

YetAnotherBeckyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Jul-15 13:53:07

confuddled did you send a mail to contact us?

confuddledDOTcom Thu 30-Jul-15 18:28:38

Yes I did. It was a couple of weeks ago.

JustineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 31-Jul-15 10:10:04

confuddledDOTcom

how about the emails containing recommended products that are actually Nestlé and the adverts for reviews that contain Nestlé products. I know you can't stop people reviewing and recommending but you're using those then to advertise your site. I get the point about Body Shop but the rest still doesn't look good as a boycott supporter.

Btw why are emails and PM not being answered? I tried both to report dad.net being plastered all over your shares and no one replied or even read my messages.

That sounds like an error our side Confuddled - which email was it? could you try to dig out? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now