Talk

Advanced search

App doesn't work with Apple Voiceover

(8 Posts)
Albadross Tue 30-Jun-15 16:38:49

I was singing MN's praises to a visually impaired friend as something she could use to help her make the most of her retirement and getting online on her new iPhone, but when we'd downloaded the app and managed to register (not an easy process even if you're fully sighted, let alone blind), we found only the person who contributed the post's name on a thread was read out by Voiceover. The actual comment doesn't read at all!

Is this on your radar to fix?

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Jun-15 16:41:18

Oh thanks Alba, we will let Tech know.
Does the mobile site work?

cozietoesie Tue 30-Jun-15 16:45:17

Useful to mention this, Albadross because there may well be a number of posters whose sight is ....... not good. I suspect that the list of things to fix is a positive tome by now, but hopefully something might be included in the new app, due out later this year?

There are no other apple-compatible apps which might help with screen reading?

Albadross Wed 01-Jul-15 10:54:12

VoiceOver is the best built-in accessibility feature there is really.

Albadross Wed 01-Jul-15 10:56:02

Oh sorry - forgot to say that no, the mobile site is the same, it only reads the header of username and time and date posted, but not the actual comment content below. The order of tabbing on the site, both mobile and app, is also wrong - this will mean a visually impaired user won't get the logical order of a page via any screen reader

cozietoesie Wed 01-Jul-15 11:14:52

I went to the ipad yesterday evening to have a play with VoiceOver (they sometimes react differently to iphones for some reason) but unfortunately became sidetracked by IOS 8.4 being available for update - and then when I finally updated and implemented VoiceOver, the device wasn't a happy bunny so I eventually came out. (This was independent of MN.)

I'll have another go later on today if Tech don't find the bug first. It's a very interesting feature. Perhaps a tad over-enthusiastic for me but interesting nonetheless.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 01-Jul-15 13:12:57

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts.
The new app is pretty close to being released and we would like to make it accessible as possible and any and all feedback is very much appreciated.

We have sent this all over to The People Who Do The Tech Stuff and they are looking into it. Please do look out for the release of the app and come back and let us know what you think and anything we can add to make life easier, we will certainly look into.

cozietoesie Wed 01-Jul-15 13:17:00

Could you maybe include the release of the new App in the MN News emails, Rebecca?

(And if Tech are having to deal with Apple in getting clearance, they probably deserve extra gin for Xmas! grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now