Talk

Advanced search

Leeds City Council think MN is a sex site <grin>

(17 Posts)
catsrus Fri 19-Jun-15 14:36:38

I'm visiting Leeds, sitting in the Library café, logged onto the free wifi - oops tried to get onto this notorious Sexuality Site (MN) so it was blocked grin. Don't know if MN wants to argue the toss with them on this one ? I just switched to cellular so not a problem for me, but it does prevent anyone depending on their free wifi from using MN.

TiggyD Fri 19-Jun-15 15:03:02

"Sexuality site"? Does that mean "Danger! There are some non-hetrosexualists contained within"?

There are topics for TBLG parents and children I suppose.

ErrolTheDragon Fri 19-Jun-15 15:11:31

I wonder if this restriction started when the 'sex' topic was introduced recently?

LCC might care to ponder that sex is nearly always a prerequisite for there to be a parenting site!

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 19-Jun-15 16:20:52

It's because we use all them durty words innit?
I've had this before at my local sports centre, bit of a nightmare when you're trying to work.

We'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had similar?

cozietoesie Fri 19-Jun-15 16:46:37

From their Internet Access Policy - much as expected in view of the 'durty words'. grin

Filtering software is used in an attempt to screen out offensive and potentially
illegal Internet material. However, filtering mechanisms can be crude and may also eliminate material that is perfectly acceptable. The library service will consider releasing any such site after careful checking by Leeds Learning Network (our internet service provider).

Leeds Library and Information Service does not guarantee to filter out all offensive material and is not responsible if access is made to such material.

The library service will also consider requests to block sites which a user considers inappropriate.

Children's access to the internet is filtered according to age.

cozietoesie Fri 19-Jun-15 16:54:46

Ah Hah - looks as if the Leeds Learning Centre got the push. Here's the 2014 version which I think is the latest.

smile

cozietoesie Fri 19-Jun-15 16:59:49

* Leeds Learning Network.

SoljaBonita Fri 19-Jun-15 18:04:11

02 also block this if you are using pay as you go and haven't registered a credit card to prove your age, and have done so for years

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 19-Jun-15 18:16:42

Cambridgeshire County Council wouldn't allow access to the Essex ICE site.

And their IT department almost had kittens when I Googled 'large carrot'.

cozietoesie Fri 19-Jun-15 18:53:30

Vegetables are very questionable, hell. Don't whatever you do Google 'broccoli' - it could have you banned! grin

CanadianJohn Tue 30-Jun-15 07:15:34

A local teacher was accused of sexually inappropriate behaviour with a couple of his students, and in discussing the case by email with a school board psychologist I used the word "pedophile".

Promptly got myself blocked, and temporarily banned. It's pretty bad if you can't even use the word with a psychologist!

Blunt instrument indeed.

NetworkGuy Wed 01-Jul-15 08:06:23

Hardly surprised, but then again, MN gets it from both sides.

Since some outside will have seen "shocking bad language" (which we nearly all use within our own four walls, from time to time), so they will consider MN unsuitable for regular access, while others assume that MN must have a strong censorship attitude (because of a few campaigns where things have been rejected as offensive / immoral, etc, and rightly so).

MN clearly has a "middle of the road" approach, in the main, treats adults as adults, who can cope with the odd four-letter word in context and discusses (almost) everything.

It's the rest of the British Public (and especially one MP who may have "Mary Whitehouse" traits), who cannot treat adults like adults, but think "they know best" what's "good" for us... MN falls outside their understanding, probably because they have gone on anecdotes from others and done little or nothing to try to observe for themselves (or have hit a particularly "rude" series of threads and don't see the breadth of content).

I suspect there are a few in IT (and the Leeds example looks like one to me) who push the "politically correct" line that outside local government has already been superceded as being rather out of date, replaced by more inclusion and tolerance, and allowing freedom of expression so long as it doesn't break laws on racial and other grounds.

ComeLuckyApril Wed 01-Jul-15 08:24:57

This is to do with the filtering companies, who apply blanket rules to sites. It also causes useful things Scarleteen and help for LGBT teens to get blocked. Every council should have a means of basically ringing up IT and asking for a particular website to be unblocked, and with useful sites like Mumsnet, it's worth doing - not everyone has access to 3g after all.

ComeLuckyApril Wed 01-Jul-15 08:26:28

Ironically, it's due to campaigns like this one...

www.mumsnet.com/family-friendly/wifi

catsrus Wed 01-Jul-15 09:17:44

I used to be an IT professional, now work in academia. I never used filters at home but spent a lot of time teaching my dds about how to search, what might come up, how to deal with it, when to come to me. They did, every now and then, find something that caused them to shout "muuuuummmm!" But I hope that it was a good strategy in the long run because they are all net savvy young adults now and using the internet in shared houses.

On crude filtering mechanisms - I was told by a colleague that they'd had huge problems trying to set up a joint project with some primary schools because the project was with the university of Essex and the school's IT kept blocking the emails from this *sex site!

NetworkGuy Wed 01-Jul-15 09:56:27

Oh, the irony, ComeLuckyApril - I had forgotten that one !

cozietoesie Wed 01-Jul-15 11:41:12

catsrus

My own experience is similar in that many times, crude filtering mechanisms are used and in cases where a whole council and its schools/libraries might be covered by the blanket, they often hoick up the judgey pants pretty well to the ceiling - on a sort of 'They can only criticize us for being fuddy-duddys and not for actually causing harm. (And besides, it's the easiest way to do it.)'

wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now