Talk

Advanced search

Can we have a feature where you can click to see all the OP's posts, PLEASE.

(25 Posts)
SquigglyLine Mon 08-Jun-15 23:16:06

It would be great to be able to click somewhere and just see the OPs posts, one after another on one page.

It would reduce so much pf the pointlessness where posters keep on piling in about the original OP without realising the thread has moved on after further posts from the OP.

Today's thread about whether the photographed lunch was enough for teenage boys is a great example. Pages of posters banging on about how the teens should be making their own lunches or that frozen sandwiches are disgusting. Despite repeated cries of RTFT, none of them noticed subsequent posts from the OP that explained her DCs had SNs that meant they'd never be living independently, and that they have to eat gluten-free (which pretty much necessitates freezing bread). Just infuriating, though the OP is handling it with remarkable grace. She wasn't drip-feeding either, this information had nothing to do with her original question.

QuiteLikely5 Mon 08-Jun-15 23:27:46

I agree! We all just want to see the updated story from the OP!

SquigglyLine Mon 08-Jun-15 23:30:04

And it would (surely) reduce the number of posts that start with 'I haven't read the thread but....'

Goatcoat Mon 08-Jun-15 23:32:46

You can already do this. I can't remember how but I've got it so my posts come up in purple and the OP's posts are green. So I can just scroll through to see the OP's updates.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 08-Jun-15 23:33:23

Or we could shoot people who don't read the thread?

<zero tolerance>

FuckyNell Mon 08-Jun-15 23:33:33

I have op posts highlighted so I scroll through quickly and read those first.

YonicScrewdriver Mon 08-Jun-15 23:35:45

If it's REALLY long I read all OP posts plus the first and last pages. That way you don't miss a radical turnaround.

<slightly more tolerance>

hhhhhhh Mon 08-Jun-15 23:36:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thatstoast Mon 08-Jun-15 23:36:39

I have op posts highlighted and it does help. Still, On some big threads I agree it would help to be able to view all OP posts together.

DelphiniumBlue Mon 08-Jun-15 23:39:45

Yes, that would be a really helpful feature. Was trying and failing to work out how to do this earlier today.

Maryz Mon 08-Jun-15 23:40:33

I have the answer.

(1) highlight the op's posts
(2) put it all on one thread - how on earth do people manage pages?
(3) RTFT

Of those, the RTFT instruction is the most important, and least followed [sigh]

littlemissmuggins Mon 08-Jun-15 23:41:06

But a function like that would possibly illiminate the group discussion benefits of a thread. Usually a really good thread gets people talking amongst themselves, not just the OP. And only reading the OPs threads is still not RTFT.

Maryz Mon 08-Jun-15 23:41:26

And fuck tolerance.

Shoot anyone who doesn't RTFT (thanks Yonic, great idea).

SquigglyLine Mon 08-Jun-15 23:49:32

The automatic shooting function might take longer to develop, Maryz smile

I don't find it easy to just pick out the OPs posts looking down the thread (yes I have them highlighted and all on one thread). I wouldn't see this as a substitute for reading the thread, but as a way to check I haven't missed out something the OP said. Or sometimes, on complicated threads, I want to look back at what the OP has said before I post.

LilyBobtail Mon 08-Jun-15 23:51:55

How do you higlight the OP's posts in green? Mine come up purple, and MNHQ in blue. Green sounds like wizardry.

Maryz Tue 09-Jun-15 00:01:21

You go to customise, Lily.

^^ up at the top there beside Talk there is a customise option. You can choose what colour you want the op to be. And you can (thankfully) hide zillions of topics).

LilyBobtail Tue 09-Jun-15 00:07:00

Maryz this has made my night. OP's posts are now in a weird greeny-grey and I am viewing 1,000 posts at a time. My eyes are opened!

PattiODoors Tue 09-Jun-15 00:13:51

And if you select MN Classic then you are set forever. Hurrah.

<hides from HQ who prefer us to use New>

<looks shifty>

cerealqueen Tue 09-Jun-15 00:15:28

I thought this was asking to see all the posts ever written by the OP to save us having to do a search on their name Now that would be interesting!!

SquigglyLine Tue 09-Jun-15 00:18:16

That would be the Snoop Feature, cereal!

Gilrack Tue 09-Jun-15 00:24:57

On really long threads I get all the posts on one page, then use Find to hop through all the OP's posts. You land on a few replies quoting the OP's full name as well, but you only have to press F3 to get to the next occurrence smile

I have them highlighted as well.

Ledkr Tue 09-Jun-15 07:49:08

Can u explain that more please gil? What is find? And what does f3 do?

SquigglyLine Tue 09-Jun-15 09:10:36

Gilrack - I'd like an automated version of that. I MN using one hand most of the time. I just want to click on something in a long thread and see all the OPs posts, not fiddle about with Find and F3. It just makes sense to be able to see everything the OP has written.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Jun-15 09:13:19

I agree, and I know that it can be done as this option exists for MN webchats although doesn't always seem to work

SquigglyLine Tue 09-Jun-15 12:10:53

Interesting, Fine. So the technology is there! Go on, MNHQ, maybe just give it a little try-out and see what people think?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now