Talk

Advanced search

Advertising encroaching on topics list

(28 Posts)
LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-May-15 10:22:40

I don't know if anybody else has this issue but I'm finding that my Mumsnet window is being 'squashed' (technical term, that) so as to fit in advertising. It's currently P&O ferries that seems to keep rearing its ugly head and it's nearly impossible to get back to MN, I have to keep going out and back in again.

This wasn't happening yesterday. Any tips for sinking this advert once and for all?

Sallyingforth Wed 27-May-15 10:28:25

adblockplus.org/

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-May-15 10:40:23

Thank you, Sallyingforth, I'll give that a try!

GaryTheTankEngine Wed 27-May-15 10:46:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ColetteTech (MNHQ) Wed 27-May-15 15:39:58

Hi Lying,

We're trying out a new ad format which expands but only when you hover over it. You should just be able to scroll down past it to get to the content, is that not the case for you? If not, could you let me know what operating system and browser you're using? Thanks very much

EauRouge Wed 27-May-15 16:40:52

I'm not hovering over anything, it's squishing the whole thing down as soon as the page loads up. I'm using Chrome, not sure which Mac OS I'm using because it keeps bloody changing.

Bogeyface Wed 27-May-15 17:13:31

Mine was just doing it whenever, and the picture is so busy it makes the screen look awful.

I have to say that if this format continues it will affect how often I use MN, as it is so distracting and plain ugly.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-May-15 18:29:43

Hi ColetteTech, like EauRouge, I wasn't hovering either. I'm using Windows 8 if that's any help. The link that Sallyingforth didn't load for me as my system is 'fussy' and wouldn't approve the 'certificate' for some reason.

When I tried to scroll past the advert, it just took the advert with it so no escape. P&O is now on my 'shit list', I'm now in mind of taking a cruise... but it won't be with them. Ha! grin

Thanks very much for posting to fix it.

Sallyingforth Wed 27-May-15 19:44:15

Witch, it should install on Windows 8. What web browser do you use? Millions of people use it and it is quite safe. I don't suppose MNHQ like people discussing such things here, but if you do need help there is a very good user forum on the website.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 27-May-15 20:48:33

Internet explorer, Sallying, I think it's possibly more to do with my firewall, the settings are a bit much sometimes. I need to check them again. Everytime my husband uses this laptop there are new weird and wonderful things I can no longer do... confused

If I wouldn't be able to access Mumsnet however, he'd be looking for his head, which would have been neatly chopped off and in the bin.

ColetteTech (MNHQ) Wed 27-May-15 21:40:36

Thanks everyone, I'll get this feedback to the people behind these ads and find out what can be done. flowers

cozietoesie Wed 27-May-15 23:15:32

I see Tech slumber not and neither do they sleep! grin

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 28-May-15 18:54:33

NB it's not that we don't like people discussing it but ads do keep the site free.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 28-May-15 20:31:48

OliviaMumsnet... just a thought and maybe not possible but, you know how cookies from other sites tend to bring up offers and adverts relevant to your own personal browsing history? Well, would this be a possibility here on MN? I would sigh with happiness to see Jo Malone, Boden, Premier Inn, Booking.com, Mercedes and House of Fraser... these are sites I regularly visit and never see them pop up here. I'm sure these advertisers would love to be on '*LyingWitch*'s personal radar when she's MNing' and would pay you handsomely for that? Wouldn't they? There must be lots of sites that posters wouldn't mind seeing individually...

None of them though should be so intrusive that you can't scroll past them and rudely shove you into them like Alice Through the Looking Glass... wondering how the hell to get out! shock

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Thu 28-May-15 22:12:48

... and now there's a whopping great 'Cravendale' milk advert that's making the page run slowly. Why does it have to take up the whole background? That's not advertising imo, it's spamming and it's very intrusive.

BIWI Thu 28-May-15 22:16:03

I totally get that advertising pays to keep MN free, Olivia, and I'm sure that the vast majority of MNetters appreciate this.

But does it really have to be the case that the way in which ads are placed on the site are allowed to irritate us, the users of the site?

Surely there has to be a compromise/happy medium?

Tootoofunny Fri 29-May-15 04:57:19

I'm on the mobile site and the ad at the top is blocking the topics buttons so I can't navigate out of the thread. I'm not fussed by the advertising as such but it's not great if it stops the user from using the site. I'm off to Pinterest, back soon when this is sorted. Ta

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 02-Jun-15 12:02:37

This is still happening, MNHQ. Today I clicked on 'threads I'm on', up came that annoying milk advert taking up the whole page, refusing to scoll away, when I clicked on a thread, it did 'adclick' and straight into the milk advert.

I'm not happy with this, that's incredibly intrusive and I have no idea what cookies those advertisers are putting on when they 'trick' you into clicking on them when you think you're clicking something else. Please can you sort this.

Bogeyface Wed 03-Jun-15 00:13:24

Still happening, just happened to me again.

As Lying said it auto scrolled down and took me to an ad.

CrystalMcPistol Wed 03-Jun-15 02:13:38

The milk ad is so bloody annoying, it encroaches on the whole page.

CrystalMcPistol Wed 03-Jun-15 02:31:05

I'd go so far as to say that the Arla milk ad is an obnoxious twat.

Bogeyface Wed 03-Jun-15 02:51:46

What Crystal said

Bogeyface Fri 05-Jun-15 16:17:40

When is this very annoying ad being removed?!

BIWI Sun 07-Jun-15 23:04:54

Bloody hell, that Arla ad is really intrusive! I'm sorry MNHQ, but this is just not on.

BIWI Sun 07-Jun-15 23:06:44

It's so annoying and intrusive that now, after all the years I've been on MN, I've actually installed adblocker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now