Advanced search

What's with the huge great swooping ads?

(18 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Summerisle1 Wed 11-Feb-15 12:34:04

Just this ^

Ever since yesterday, when clicking on some (quite unrelated!) threads, my iMac screen has been invaded by a great big swooping half page ad that either scrolls down or flies in from the side and blocks my screen until I close the ad graphic. Yesterday's ad featured a monkey. Today's ad is for Pizza Hut.

I'm on an iMac (the one with the great BIG screen so this invasion is all the larger!) using Chroma.

CatsCantTwerk Wed 11-Feb-15 12:49:17

I'm having that too, I've had 4 different ones this morning, takes over the whole screen. The last one just a few minutes ago was pizza hut.

I'm on Safari on imac.

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Feb-15 12:51:16

Hm. Curious. Are either of you able to grab a screenshot?

CatsCantTwerk Wed 11-Feb-15 12:54:27

They are very random but as soon as it happens again I will grab one.

DPotter Wed 11-Feb-15 13:11:38

I have an orang-utan twice now - scared the living daylights out of me the first time. Both were from SSE - will grab one if happens again. Mine were last night and about 20 mins ago. I'm on a desk top using - I haven't a clue sorry

Summerisle1 Wed 11-Feb-15 14:06:26

I shall also grab one next time. They are totally random and to be honest, I was so taken aback by the screenful of somewhat sinister orang-utan on the SSE ad that loomed out at me in the dead of night that I hit the close button without taking a screenshot.

CatsCantTwerk Wed 11-Feb-15 14:09:51

I agree the orang-utan terrified me this morning, the way it fades gradually onto the screen is quite scary.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 11-Feb-15 15:44:48

Just so you know, our Tech folk are screening for these ads and will block any of the blighters they find.

Please do screenshot any if you get a chance, though.

Many thanks flowers

Summerisle1 Wed 11-Feb-15 19:26:44

Here you go. This has just appeared without warning. It actually opens in a new tab but takes you straight to that tab without the decency of a re-direction warning! So one minute you are about to open a thread on MN (in this instance in Chat) and the next your screen is filled with this:

DPotter Wed 11-Feb-15 22:16:47

That's the one I had

CatsCantTwerk Thu 12-Feb-15 08:01:39

I just went to click on this thread and it automatically opened a new window with the SSE add. That is different to what was happening yesterday.

CatsCantTwerk Thu 12-Feb-15 08:15:30

I have just had this cover the Mumsnet screen. It faded in, not in a different tab. In the second pic you can clearly see MN underneath.

cozietoesie Thu 12-Feb-15 08:27:50

Yup. Had the orang utan about 20 minutes ago on the laptop.

DPotter Thu 12-Feb-15 10:13:55

The orang-u-tang is back! Didn't open another tab just over the top of the MN one. Took a while to find the X to close it down. It's SSE - scottish electric

tiggytape Thu 12-Feb-15 10:32:03

I just had one that is for a BBC3 programme "I survived a Zombie Apocalypse"
The x close button didn’t work either so I had to open MN again in a new tab.
They are very annoying so I will screenshot next time I get one.

DPotter Thu 12-Feb-15 10:54:27

OK this may have nothing to do with MN but just had a sound thing come on the computer - background noise of traffic and a woman saying 'oh dear'. went off before I could find out where it was coming from. I have checked my pop-up blocker is working

YetAnotherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Feb-15 14:23:17

Hi all,
Thanks for keeping us updated re the giant swoopers, Tech is on the case but all intel is gold at this point.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 12-Feb-15 17:26:29

Afternoon all,

Good news! We've had an update from our Tech folk saying they reckon they've managed to block these now, so the big scary ads should no longer appear across our site. Hurrah! grin

Please shout if you're still seeing any.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now