Talk

Advanced search

Zombie warning

(39 Posts)
BeyondDoesBootcamp Mon 26-Jan-15 11:09:29

Could it possibly pleeeease last longer than two posts? It only takes a newbie posting twice (easily done, once because they didnt know and once cause they missed something in the first post) and we have the same situation as the warning is supposed to prevent! grin

BeyondDoesBootcamp Mon 26-Jan-15 11:11:13

This one for eg... www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1540653-To-make-a-complaint-about-DWP
Vicky posted twice, therefore the zombie warning disappeared...

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Jan-15 11:11:29

Hi Beyond,

How long would you suggest?

It's a tricky one because sometimes a thread can be reactivated for a valid reason and the zombie warning would get annoying if it went on for too long.

BeyondDoesBootcamp Mon 26-Jan-15 11:14:16

Yeah, i know what you mean. I'd only suggest something like four or five posts instead, just a little less likely to happen by accident?

Would it be possible (realise i might be making this ridiculously complicated!) if it were the op updating, if they were somehow able to override the warning?

And wow, thank you for an amazingly quick response! grin

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 26-Jan-15 13:19:10

We aim to please <tips hat>

Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

PlumpingUpPartridge Mon 26-Jan-15 13:20:48

Yes!

Maybe with a 'DANGER - Zombie is awakening!' gif? grin

InternetFOREVER Mon 26-Jan-15 13:21:48

Yeah that would be good... even better would be if the zombie warning could be at the top of the thread so I don't get to it after reading the whole thing grin

LongDistanceLove Mon 26-Jan-15 13:24:16

Indeed, it seams that at one point last week there were more zombie threads than new threads in active conversations.

Zombie at the top would be good.

AnnieLobeseder Mon 26-Jan-15 13:26:56

I definitely agree. I get so annoyed when I get taken in by a zombie thread that has run for a few posts so there's no warning any more. Maybe a zombie stickie post that stays as part of the thread at the point where the time warp happened?

magimedi Mon 26-Jan-15 13:52:43

Would it also be a good idea to have a Zombie alert at the start of the post as well as the end?

Or could pots of over a certain length of time have a different colour or black border or something?

badgerhammock Mon 26-Jan-15 14:13:53

How about if a post hasn't been posted on for x amount of time the Zombie warning goes on as usual in red. If it gets reactivated by someone posting the warning could change to show the date of the original OP ("This post was created on y date, are you sure you want to post?" Or similar) so if it is reactivated subsequent posters can make a judgement as to whether it's been reactivated by mistake or not.

Seeline Mon 26-Jan-15 14:26:10

Agree that the zombie warning should be at the top of the thread. If you don't notice the date straight away and have read to the end of the thread only to discover the new post is really not related and the rest of the thread is three years old it is really annoying!!
And yes keep the warning for 10 or so posts.

magimedi Mon 26-Jan-15 15:30:19

On another (yes, ther are others) forum I use if you press the reply button on a 'zombie' thread a box comes up within the reply box that says something like:

Warning: This thread has not been posted on for xxx days.
Are you sure you want to post on it?
Please consider starting a new thread.

It comes up in red type & seems to stop Zombie threads.

cozietoesie Mon 26-Jan-15 23:40:02

Why not just cull some of the (unwanted) threads after a certain period - say 6 months? This board alone has 275 pages and Geeky Stuff has 245. There must be so much outdated information on those two boards alone.

QueenTilly Tue 27-Jan-15 13:33:55

Yes, definitely extend the zombie alert to about five posts. Please!

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 27-Jan-15 17:08:52

I'd rather just have a permanent little zombie sitting at the top of old threads so that I could see before bothering to read it all.

dalekanium Tue 27-Jan-15 17:11:01

Wot ehric said

HowCanIMissYouIfYouWontGoAway Tue 27-Jan-15 17:16:22

yeah, I think if the OP wants to revive their thread after years then fair enough, but someone rocking up to a thread 6 years after it was posted to suggest that the OP might want egg with those chips is bloody pointless.

Locking them after a certain period of time to all but the OP would be a great idea! Then if the OP revives them, it unlocks them.

Otherwise, if someone has a burning desire to comment on a thread that's ten years old, they can always start a new one and link to it.

Sparklingbrook Tue 27-Jan-15 17:19:25

I asked this last month. sad

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2252710-Zombie-Threads

IamtheZombie Tue 27-Jan-15 17:50:26

Zombie would like to see herself at the beginning and the end of dead threads. She would also like the warning to last for at least 6 posts (preferably 10 posts).

LuisSuarezTeeth Tue 27-Jan-15 18:16:17

I like magi's idea.

bruffin Tue 27-Jan-15 18:24:55

I like closing a thread sfter 6 months so you can still read it or link to it, just not add to it. If op wants to uupdate, just star a new thread with update in the title and the link to their old thread.

Oodbrain Tue 27-Jan-15 19:00:29

Or only the Op can unlock <lack of techy knowledge means this is probably too complicated>

PulpsNotFiction Wed 28-Jan-15 21:19:37

YES! To having the zombie warning at the start of the thread.

Please do this!

Please do this soon. Thank you.

PulpsNotFiction Fri 30-Jan-15 00:02:22

Aggghhhhh for Christ sake. Just fallen for another one. Please put the warning to the top.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: