Talk

Advanced search

Can I post this? New York baby related, kind of.

(13 Posts)
Wonc Sun 04-Jan-15 12:36:51

I was reading the Dax's Tale of New York FB page and found a post from a mum who was congratulating them on their fundraising efforts, and she was saying she wished she had friends who would help her out in the same way.
Anyway, I clicked the link to her own fundraising page and she has no donations at all sad
It's here: http://gogetfunding.com/project/emilys-appeal
I feel so sad for her and will donate when I get paid.

Is there an area of MN where we are allowed to post this appeal? I've been a member for years, but I'm not sure whether this is allowed. Thanks.

GoofyIsACow Sun 04-Jan-15 12:40:33

So she wants donations because she is having a baby...? (Haven't clicked the link tbf)

Wonc Sun 04-Jan-15 12:42:41

New York baby is a whole other controversial thread.

Emily has a disability and the mother is fundraising for her therapy. Has the link worked? It doesn't look like it...

Wonc Sun 04-Jan-15 12:44:42

gogetfunding.com/project/emilys-appeal

tabulahrasa Sun 04-Jan-15 12:44:51

gogetfunding.com/project/emilys-appeal

That should be a clicky link.

northernlurker Sun 04-Jan-15 12:52:17

They've got a donation now. This is tbh why I have a problem with the Dax thing. They are asking for money largely for costs they should expect to fund themselves - under the heading of sometimes tough things happen in family life. This appeal is totally different and there are literally thousands of similar small scale needs which get drowned out in the noise of a media story - whch should never have been a story because Dax's parents were never actually stranded by a huge medical bill. I think there is a charity appeal section you could repost this in.

Wonc Sun 04-Jan-15 13:16:38

Agreed Northern. The contrast between Emily's Appeal and the NY couple is striking.
Emily's Appeal (and others like it) are transparent and fully costed.

Thank you Tabulah flowers

tabulahrasa Sun 04-Jan-15 13:30:32

That's a really weird website...there are some really heartbreaking appeals and a load of cheeky gits asking for money just because they can hmm

Micah Sun 04-Jan-15 13:41:16

Thing is, you have to ask yourself why the nhs won't provide this therapy.

Usually it's because there's no proven benefit. If it's effective as they claim it would be standard treatment. In fact high dose oxygen can be harmful.

There was a local campaign here a while back for one of those flat head helmet things. All those people who donated money did so needlessly, the nhs don't provide them because there's no point, the condition resolves itself.

That 3-4k could have gone to a charity and benefitted several..

Coconutty Sun 04-Jan-15 13:44:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Micah Sun 04-Jan-15 13:46:29

Haven't looked properly, but Exeter uni did a study into the Scotson technique and concluded it doesnt work:

www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/medicalschool/subsites/pencru/pdfs/evidence_scotson.pdf

So again, you're contributing money with no evidence that it's going to help.

Wonc Sun 04-Jan-15 13:50:27

Wow. Thanks Micah. That is a really interesting link. I guess the picture of the little girl in the oxygen tank pulled at my heart strings and I didn't look into it as I should have. I will do some more research.

Arf at Free Gazza grin

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 04-Jan-15 14:50:06

Hi there, Wonc. To answer your original question, you can post something like this on the Charities Noticeboard board. (Not sure about Help Gazza, though. Maybe that's best left...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now