Talk

Advanced search

Annoying adverts...

(9 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 04-Jan-15 10:01:09

MN I've just lost a long post I was trying to add to a thread because of this annoying advert, and it's not the first time this has happened with other adverts.
If using an iPhone, where you type sits above the advert. If you have a fat finger moment, it's easy to click on the advert below. You then get redirected to their site and lose MN and the thread you were typing completely. Can you please make it so it opens it in another window instead of redirecting you away from MN. Surely that would be better for you and not just for us.

Incidentally take a peak at how much the adverts take over. Not nice.

IonaMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 04-Jan-15 12:38:59

Hi CaptainJames. Sorry to hear you lost your post. That is annoying. We'll make sure your comments are forwarded on to our advertising people and see if there is anything they can suggest. Apologies again.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 04-Jan-15 13:10:42

Thank you. I don't mind if a new window pops up with the advertisers site, I dislike being redirected away from Mumsnet because I've clicked in an advert accidentally.

CaptainJamesTKirk Sun 04-Jan-15 13:13:27

Actually on further investigation it might only be the advert in my picture. Birchbox and edx adverts don't redirect you they simply open another window. I will try a few more.

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 08-Jan-15 16:01:42

Okay I've already reported this but I'm reporting again. 4 times today I've been redirected away from Mumsnet to Swarovski and Lewis something or other kitchens. You really need to sort the adverts at the bottom on your mobile site. No website should intentionally put in adverts that redirect them away from their own website. It makes no sense. I keep saying I'm almost ready to give up in Mumsnet entirely but I'm this >< close to giving up for good.

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 08-Jan-15 16:03:01

And I has the good sense to copy my post this time thankfully because I've just been redirected to a sofa company offering me 0% finance with no deposit. Ggrrrrrr!

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Jan-15 19:41:32

Hi CaptainJamesTKirk,

We're really sorry this is happening. Based on your screenshot, it looks like you're on an iPhone, is that so?

Do let us know. We'll flag this to our Tech folk and see what's going wrong.

CaptainJamesTKirk Thu 08-Jan-15 19:56:49

Yes an iPhone 5s.
I don't mind the adverts as such I do really but understand why we have them. On an iPhone it's very easy to click on the bottom adverts accidentally because they're hiding underneath the pop up keyboard on the iPhone when you are posting. My biggest annoyance is how it makes you leave MN to get to the advertisers site instead. If it simply opened in another 'window/browser' no problem, but to leave MN every time is very annoying, you lose what you are about to post, so you can't even simply click on 'back'.

I don't know if I'm describing it very well. But surely there must be an iPhone somewhere for tech to try it for themselves.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 08-Jan-15 20:17:36

Hi again.

You've described it perfectly - we do understand (and we also understand how annoying that must be).

We'll get it checked out and see what can be done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now