Talk

Advanced search

Blimey - Facebook has removed our picture of a baby being breastfed...

(114 Posts)
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Dec-14 13:12:50

Many of you will remember the recent kerfuffle involving a breastfeeding mother being told by Claridge's staff to cover herself (and her baby) up with a napkin. It generated lots of discussion on MN, and we duly posted a link to the thread on our Facebook page, accompanied by this image of a baby being breastfed.

We were more than a bit taken aback to discover this morning that the post has been removed - apparently for failing to follow Facebook's community standards. Find out more over here - and if you think this is as bonkers as we do, do feel free to share!

LeMooseSeTaitANoel Wed 17-Dec-14 13:13:48

shock

InanimateCarbonRod Wed 17-Dec-14 13:14:39

Some of the disgusting things I see on Facebook and THIS gets taken down. Utter madness.

YonicSleighdriver Wed 17-Dec-14 13:15:09

Ugh. Bloody FB.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Wed 17-Dec-14 13:16:03

This is nothing new though, they have been taking down photos of breastfeeding for years.

ItIsSmallerOnTheOutside Wed 17-Dec-14 13:24:45

Ffs how many times are Facebook going to do this whilst claiming that they don't?

hoppus Wed 17-Dec-14 13:25:17

Facebook have form for this, breastfeeding seems to be the only thing in the world they deem offensive.

LeonardoAcropolis Wed 17-Dec-14 13:27:30

Wow! I reported Britain First yesterday, that page encourages racial hatred, but they did not think that broke their "community guidelines". Strange standards confused

Wtf.

This just makes me want to delete my Facebook account tbh. The double standards are extraordinary,

KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 17-Dec-14 13:32:19

Indeed they do, Soupdragon - but they've recently revised their guidelines on this. All the more confusing - have a look at the page we've made over here if you have a min.

ScrambledSmegs Wed 17-Dec-14 13:33:06

This is weird. Facebook claim that breastfeeding photos do not violate their policies.

FB policy

So they're not even applying their own rules consistently.

ScrambledSmegs Wed 17-Dec-14 13:35:05

Which is exactly what's in the link KateMN just posted grin

StandByYourTesselators Wed 17-Dec-14 13:51:23

This image would have to have been reported many times to prompt its removal. Breastfeeding just seems to stir up such irrational disgust and hatred towards women. Sickening that beautiful harmless images such as the one above can cause this latent misogyny to bubble to the surface.

Facebook are fuckweasels.

MrsCosmopifairylight Wed 17-Dec-14 13:59:22

Why don't all MNers repost the 'offensive' pic? That'll slow FB up. I can't remember if you can "appeal" against something being deleted or not.
I find it ridiculous that they won't remove 'Britain First' or 'This is England' but will remove babies being fed.

Bumpandbaby2014 Wed 17-Dec-14 14:04:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 17-Dec-14 14:20:12

I'm almost tempted to join FB just to post the picture.

SwearySwearyQuiteContrary Wed 17-Dec-14 14:48:59

Sooooooooooo, some utter sleaze could set up this page and a breastfeeding mum is not ok? (Schoolies week is a "thing" here where kids graduating from high school go away for a week of jolly japes.)

HesterShaw Wed 17-Dec-14 14:51:04

Seriously, FB really do need to sort this out. I can't understand how ANYONE can think that some of the ignorant and horrible stuff you see on FB is less offensive than a photo of a baby feeding from its mother's breast.

TarkaTheOtter Wed 17-Dec-14 15:00:51

I bet this is because they have a "no nipple" policy and don't know the difference between nipple and areola.

momb Wed 17-Dec-14 15:10:42

There is clearly areola visible there; baby was obviously feeding ostentatiously. Was the offensive feeding being done actually in the London Hotel? Outraged! Ban MN from facebook! ban babies from MN! Confused! Something must need banning surely!!

Pointlessfan Wed 17-Dec-14 15:22:53

This makes me so angry when you think about how much on there is actually offensive. Grrr...

xalyssx Wed 17-Dec-14 15:39:29

I posted a photo of a lady breastfeeding a goat 2 years ago, and that didn't get taken down! But something beautiful and natural, that you could see any day in a reasonable cafe, that most people in the world have experienced, is taken down? confused Facebook needs to have a clearer policy that they stick to.

MardyBra Wed 17-Dec-14 15:42:15

Presumably you've got your PR people on this one MNHQ. I think a MN v FB showdown would make a good news story.

WeThreeKeemasofOrientNaan Wed 17-Dec-14 15:50:07

Dickheads. Have shared.

PoppySausage Wed 17-Dec-14 15:58:47

I think we should do a mass post a picture of breast feeding so they can't keep up with removing them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now