Talk

Advanced search

what in Tim Dowling's name is that vile floating purple box -

(21 Posts)
EilisCitron Thu 04-Dec-14 15:10:04

- that keeps obscuring the box I am trying to type in and bobs there smirking like Christopher Biggins crossed with one of the HaaHoos? And how can I get them to go away?
There is no point you know. I get so cross with things like that I never read them, or do what they are telling me to do

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Dec-14 17:03:14

Ever so slightly tempted to make sure the box stays around just to provoke you to further crossness, if it means you'll come up with more comparisons like Christopher Biggins crossed with HaaHoos. It's just beautiful.

But we won't of course. Are you seeing it on mobile?

EilisCitron Thu 04-Dec-14 17:13:54

thank you! No, on chrome on a laptop

AmyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 04-Dec-14 17:35:42

Hmm we'll flag it to the tech bods!

DPotter Mon 08-Dec-14 00:46:38

I have a floating box as well - well a bottom feeder actually as it floats up from the bottom of the screen. It something about talking to someone about climate change. AND ITS VERY ANNOYING. Sorry can't get all clever like Eilis with her Christopher Biggins

WellWhoKnew Mon 08-Dec-14 01:04:02

Something asking us to be concerned about climate change and attending a webchat.

'Tis guilting me out.

Please make it go away.

CanadianJohn Mon 08-Dec-14 01:16:08

The huge annoying purple box that floars in from the bottom of the screen refers to a webchat that occurs on Monday... I do hope the box immediately dies and never comes back.

I don't know why advertisers think that being annoying is going to get them a positive response.

BlameItOnTheBogey Mon 08-Dec-14 01:31:31

I have it too and whenever I click on the little X in the corner to get rid of it, it bloody well takes me to the screen of whatever advert is on the home page lurking under the floating box. Please make it stop.

cozietoesie Mon 08-Dec-14 07:20:03

I've had it 3 times in the last two minutes. Shuldn't it behave like the other sliders and go away when you click the little cross?

rootypigsinblankets Mon 08-Dec-14 07:22:51

I hate the new annoying purple box too. Mine doesn't float but I don't need friendly reminders to pursue my interests thanks MN. Stop directing me to content I've no interest in! <mutters>

FruVikingessOla Mon 08-Dec-14 07:23:18

It's not an advertisement, John, it's a MN generated pop-up.

rootypigsinblankets Mon 08-Dec-14 07:24:58

It is MN advertising, surely.

CaroleService Mon 08-Dec-14 07:25:32

it is hugely annoying. Comes on every time I change threads.

FruVikingessOla Mon 08-Dec-14 07:27:23

Well, only about a web chat - they're not actually trying to flog anything!

rootypigsinblankets Mon 08-Dec-14 07:28:41

They are flogging climate change chat! grin

FruVikingessOla Mon 08-Dec-14 07:51:53

Yes - but it's not about 'go out and buy my product', as per John's comment : "I don't know why advertisers think that being annoying is going to get them a positive response."

TBH, I don't know why MNHQ didn't just create a sticky thread - I think that's what they usually do for their web chats. And they know that we get annoyed by pop-ups - and those annoying little sliders grin

CuttedUpPear Mon 08-Dec-14 08:06:40

The purple box keeps popping up even after I have hit the cross.
Annoying or what?
If we have to have it, can it just disappear when any other part of the screen is clicked on, as other reminders do?

EilisCitron Mon 08-Dec-14 09:36:16

oh phew not just me then.
yes, please make it go away!

rootypigsinblankets Tue 09-Dec-14 06:02:29

MN is a product Fru hmm

KateSMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Dec-14 16:41:11

Ok - so the boxes are the new style sliders. They're meant to be that big, and they're a little sensitive about their weigh, but still believe they are beautiful no matter what size they are.

They should disappear once you X them - so if they're being overkeen do shout and we'll get tech to look.

FruVikingessOla Wed 17-Dec-14 17:56:46

The little scutters are popping up all over the place now - and won't disappear, despite clicking on the X repeatedly fgrin

rooty, I do know that MN is a product ... believe it or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now