Talk

Advanced search

Being able to delete your own posts

(13 Posts)
StuffedOwl Tue 02-Dec-14 07:34:07

Is there a reason why you cannot delete your own posts? Could this be considered pleased? Thanks

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 02-Dec-14 07:36:36

The reason is because it would leave threads making absolutely no sense. This is a largely unmoderated site and we are expected to post accordingly. Threads stay for years and are often read years after they are written. Being able to delete or edit posts would ruin mumsnet and it will never happen.

Sparklingbrook Tue 02-Dec-14 07:40:02

Because it would be carnage. Say something awful and everyone replies saying so-then delete it and pretend it never happened? Noo, I don't think so.

chicaguapa Tue 02-Dec-14 07:40:19

I'd like to be able to edit my posts though, as I only notice typos after I've pressed post message.

Sparklingbrook Tue 02-Dec-14 07:43:45

I get that chica, but again it could be misused in the same way. sad You could literally rewrite history.

PixieofCatan Tue 02-Dec-14 07:46:26

As sparkling says, it would be misused. I've been on forums where people self delete in a huffy, come back three months later and completely change the story as to why they huffed of and it makes you look unreasonable when you point out their complete U-Turn on a subject!

StuffedOwl Tue 02-Dec-14 08:01:41

But you can request to have your posts deleted so why is it any different, other than an extra step needed?

Sparklingbrook Tue 02-Dec-14 08:03:48

Because MNHQ decide whether they will allow the deletion. they don't agree to every one.

AuntieStella Tue 02-Dec-14 08:05:26

It's different because MNHQ make the decision. They can say no.

So if you post within guidelines, it will be here indefinitely (unless there is a compelling reason otherwise).

usualsuspect333 Tue 02-Dec-14 08:12:24

Posters on here usually just namechange if they have written an arsey post.

No need to be able to delete your own posts when you can just name change

CuttedUpPear Tue 02-Dec-14 08:34:38

chica that is what the 'preview post' function is for.

Write your post, click 'preview' and read it back to yourself. Then edit before posting.

I used to belong to a site where you could edit posts for 15 minutes after first posting them - so if you did spot a typo or stupid mistake as soon as you pressed 'post', you could change it. But the short time frame meant that people couldn't go back and change their posts if they got a reply they didn't like.

LittleBearPad Tue 02-Dec-14 10:41:38

Dolly is that you?

Typos are generally forgiven, very few people are mean about them and those who are are twats.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now