Talk

Advanced search

Why are the Local boards so dead?

(11 Posts)
FelixFelix Wed 26-Nov-14 21:42:53

I've just had a look at the Local board for my area to see if there was anything interesting happening, and it's so quiet. I'm not sure if it's just the ones I check (Leeds and Bradford) or if all of them are like this. There's probably about 1 post a month (not even a new thread a month) and a few unanswered. I try and answer what I can but I don't know the areas that well.

Is it just me or are all of the Local boards like this?

It seems like such a shame as I'd love to find out info about local events and groups I can take my dd to, or other stuff happening. Even just general chit chat about the area and recommendations on things to do/places to visit would be ace. I hate to admit it, but the Other Side is brilliant for this kind of info. I don't want to get sucked in to their glittery black hole though grin

Hassled Wed 26-Nov-14 21:48:08

My Local Board is deathly quiet too.

I tend not to post on there for fear of outing - so yes, I could tell you about this area of town and that High School and those local parks, but then you'd narrow me down to quite a specific area which coupled with everything else I've posted over the years would possibly make me identifiable. I have PMd people a couple of times, though, if I know I can help. I suppose the answer is a Local Board specific namechange.

Sparklingbrook Wed 26-Nov-14 21:48:35

i think over this side people are a bit more keen to remain anonymous TBH.

FelixFelix Wed 26-Nov-14 22:04:55

Ah that makes sense, I'd never even thought about that! It's a shame though.

DinoSnores Wed 26-Nov-14 22:13:15

hassled, you get a new name on the local boards so you don't need to be worried about being outed from that.

RebeccaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 27-Nov-14 09:14:50

Morning all,

Yes, you can have a specific name for local that auto name changes when you pop over there so the crossover issues are minimised.

Local is all about YOU <channels war recruitment poster>

The more people engage with local the better it will do, please do add in your local tips from family-friendly cafes to best hairdressers, Mumsnet is all about pooling and sharing advice and we'd love to help local grow to do this better.

You can also set a site (or a few) as your home site. Find your local site here and then click on the My site button at the top in the middle of the page. This will then take you back there when you're logged in, give you a lovely widget over there >>>> that tells you the latest things that are happening in your area and also, you'll get a fab newsletter once a month with offers and competitions that are local to you.

We have a huge team of Local Editors from all over the country who keep the sites clean and tidy, find the best info and offers for you and are on hand to say hi and show you around. Please do pop in and start a local thread, they'd be most pleased to see you grin thanks

FelixFelix Thu 27-Nov-14 10:50:32

Thanks Rebecca, I didn't realise you could auto change your name just for the local boards. That's handy to know.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 27-Nov-14 10:52:48

In all honesty I think it is just that MN missed the boat on the local front. NM already did local successfully (not that I was on mine) and then FB groups had already taken over in that area when MN relaunched the local bit so nobody has really bothered.

Hassled Thu 27-Nov-14 11:18:12

I had no idea about the autochange option - that puts a whole new spin on things. Thanks smile

HumpsLumps Thu 27-Nov-14 11:24:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 27-Nov-14 21:51:06

latest postings:
aberdeenshire 2/11/14
bexley: 13/11/14
coventry 31/8/14
derby 28/9/14
exeter 21/11/14
fife 14/11/14
greenwich 10/11/14
herefordshire 2/10/14
ipswich 25/11/14
kent 10/11/14
luton 21/11/14
merthyr tydfil NONE!!!!

talk about sent to coventry, but poor old merthyr is worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now